Overparduffer
Conscript

Prisoner Exchange

Fri May 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Is there a benefit to doing this? I figure I would be helping out the enemy out my giving him back some manpower.

Captain_Orso

Fri May 17, 2013 10:45 pm

It depends on which side you are playing, what your and your opponent's situation is with conscripts and how many of them each of you have.

I'm not sure of how the exchange actually goes in detail as I've never used it, but it's probably and pretty even trade.

Toward the end of the war the CS can get pretty scrapped for conscripts while the Union can be swimming in them, depending on how aggressively he's been raising them. In this case it would be foolish for the Union to exchange prisoners, which is why Grant forbid it at some time in '64.

Although exchanged and paroled prisoners were not "allowed" to take up arms again, especially in the South it happened a lot.

caranorn

Sat May 18, 2013 9:29 am

Captain_Orso wrote:It depends on which side you are playing, what your and your opponent's situation is with conscripts and how many of them each of you have.

I'm not sure of how the exchange actually goes in detail as I've never used it, but it's probably and pretty even trade.

Toward the end of the war the CS can get pretty scrapped for conscripts while the Union can be swimming in them, depending on how aggressively he's been raising them. In this case it would be foolish for the Union to exchange prisoners, which is why Grant forbid it at some time in '64.

Although exchanged and paroled prisoners were not "allowed" to take up arms again, especially in the South it happened a lot.

You are mixing up exchanged and parolled here. Someone who was parolled was not supposed to take up arms again until exchanged, someone exchanged was back in the war without restrictions.
Marc aka Caran...

Captain_Orso

Sat May 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Opps Image Yes, you are right.

If both sides decide to exchange prisoners 1/3 of each sides prisoners will be released and become conscripts of their owning side. See Pocus' post#7 here: Prisoner Exchanges. Both sides will also gain NM and VP; the Union 2NM and the CS 1NM. The reports I found about VP's vary, but indicate that the Union player could expect about 50 VP's and the CS about 25.

I never read much about paroling and exchanging. Wikipedia has an interesting article about it during the Civil War: Dix-Hill Cartel

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”