Jerzul
Captain

How to break the Union Blockade with FI triggered

Thu May 16, 2013 5:25 pm

So FI went off in my current PBEM and my opponent has tried to break my blockade by sending the British fleet into the blockade boxes. This does not seem to be having any effect. Not to help my opponent too much... :p oke:

But what is the best (or at least some other strategies) to break the blockade?

FYI: Union supply in the boxes is "Standard"

After all, one day I might be Johnny Reb. :dada:
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

Jim-NC

Thu May 16, 2013 5:48 pm

There currently isn't a good way. The blockade boxes are handled differently than regular combat (you don't attack and defend, just inflict hits every so often). I would recommend having the British ships attempt to intercept the union fleets as the travel to/from port. When traveling to the blockade box, combat is normal, meaning you can somewhat control what is going on.

The other thing to have them (the Brits) do is brown water blockade union ports (in conjunction with land sieges). The Brits give the CSA some extra punch, that can be used to take back areas. Did you know that several CSA cities contribute to the blockade percentage? So if the CSA is not going on the offensive into the north with the Brits, they can use them to land and crush some union armies in their rear areas. There was/is a list of regions that increase the blockade percentage on the forums somewhere. I seem to remember that New Orleans was an area of interest, as was Berwick LA. There are others (some in Florida, some in Virginia, some in NC, and SC).

When the union captures those, the blockade % goes up. If the south frees them, the blockade % goes down.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wraith
Sergeant

Thu May 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Wow... wish that had been made clearer way earlier.... I've been laying siege to New Orleans for about a year now and have been unable to kill off the Union...

Ace

Thu May 16, 2013 8:31 pm

The list of towns is logical. Every mayor port taken by the Union increases blockade percentage by cca 5% (aka Norfolk, Wilmington, Charleston, Savannah, Pensacola, Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston,...)

Ace

Thu May 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Did you try putting transports to the box. After all, you can protect them now. Do they provide more income than brigs?

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Thu May 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Hopefully this and the other naval issues are improved in the sequel.

Jerzul
Captain

Thu May 16, 2013 10:31 pm

Ideally the Northern blockade should be limited to captured cities and any brown water blockade the USN can hold onto. Meanwhile the CSA should be able use the shipping box and the USA should have to run the new British/French blockade to get outside supplies.
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”