aariediger
Sergeant

1864 Elections: How can we make it better?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:40 am

While writing some of the posts in Early War Union Command: How can we make it better? I began to think about the other political problem Lincoln faced: the 1864 elections. I don’t think the game handles this event very well, and I think there are some ways we could make it better. So, here’s my ideas to fix it.

Right now, the 1864 election is represented by setting the Union’s National Morale floor to 60 until November. Instead, I think we could set up a better system that better represents what a Democratic victory would mean. First, some dates:

August 29-31, 1864 Democratic National Convention

November 8, 1864 Presidential Election

March 4, 1864 Inauguration Day

So, the very earliest turn a Democrat could end the war would be Early March, 1865, because Lincoln would still be in office up until that point. However, the new president, if elected, would not necessarily do just that. McClellan, for example, was opposed to a peace proposal, and supported continuing the war to its conclusion. However, it wasn’t a given that he would be nominated. What I propose is having different options for Lincoln to run against, with different consequences if elected.

The Democratic party had three major parts:

War Democrats – supported the war, and wanted to see it through to the end.

Moderates – wanted to restore the Union, but were open to ending the war if things grew dim.

Copperheads – wanted to end the war immediately.

I would like to have four possible candidates:

Daniel Sickles – War Democrat: no consequences if elected

George McClellan – War Democrat: can’t suspend habeas corpus or use martial law, Sheridan and Sherman lose their scorched earth abilities, no full mobilization

Horatio Seymour – Moderate: same as McClellan, plus minimum National Morale is set to 70

Clement Vallandigham – Copperhead: Lose war on late March, 1865

The way to choose who gets nominated is fairly simple. From early January 1864 to early August, use the lowest number Union Morale ever fell to. If it was always at 90 or above, Sickles is nominated. From 89 to 80 is McClellan, 79 to 70 is Seymour, and 69 and below is Vallandigham.
If on early November Union National Morale is 70 or above, Lincoln is re-elected. If it is 69 or below, the Democratic candidate wins, with the consequences listed taking effect in Late March 1865.

I think this change would make the election system more dynamic, and more fun. However, I don’t claim to be an expert on the political-science of the era, and these candidates and National Morale numbers are just starting points really, and I’m sure research and play testing could make this idea better in time.

Altaris

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 am

You have some good ideas here, I too agree the event in its current form is very lacking. These seem very sensible approaches and make beefing up NM prior to the election very important (though I'd argue that Union NM should be 80+ for Lincoln to be re-elected to encourage things like Sherman's taking of Atlanta).

Canon
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 am

I see this only being of use if there is serious effort in making 1863 and 1864 Campaigns more playable, as right now supply issues make these campaigns almost unplayable for the Confederates. Or a seriously revamped AI as right now most campaigns go to mid 1863 at the latest, with many over in 1862 already.

DrPostman

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:47 pm

If I give Athena all the advantages I can and make her aggressive I can end up having a
game last well into 1864. That still wouldn't get to the election, so I'm not sure what
would work there. The AI is one of the best I've ever had to play against and I'm not
sure the solution should be there but I'm confident something can be worked out to
make the game last into late 1864 at least. I don't think I've ever had a game go much
into 65 so I wonder why the game states that it can run until 1866!
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Jim-NC

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:16 pm

The game is coded to end in 1866. I have had PBEM games go into late 1865.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

anjou
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 pm

^ same here

charlesonmission

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 pm

My game against Mortar went all the way. There was an AAR on it.

I've also played the 64 campaign as CSA, and lost of course.

DrPostman

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:54 pm

I need to try PBEM. Haven't done that yet.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

geoffreyg
Corporal

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:38 am

I have reached Jan 1864 in a PBEM as the CSA.
The election event says that the morale scale switches to 25 defeat threshold and 100 victory threshold.
As it happens my morale is exactly 100 (Union 93). Not unexpectedly I have not won!
Can anyone however please clarify what the actual effect is.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”