gbob
Conscript

KENTUCKY invaded (noob needs help)

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:45 pm

1861, Union, default settings, turn 10.
CSA just invaded Kentucky and the news headline says the Union forces are unprepared, will suffer massive disorganization if they enter KY, etc. A tooltip in the log entry says 'Union forces may NOT enter Kentucky.'
But the map no longer says I can't enter Ky territory, and the game allows me to set up moves there. What gives? If I move into KY will my forces fall apart? Will they be swallowed by the soil? Will fire rain upon them from the skies? Is this WAD?! :8o:

Also, since I've been very busy in Virginia and out West, I haven't done much to prepare for this, although I'm sitting on lots of $ and CP because I knew it was coming. What are my first priorities?

wsatterwhite
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 pm

gbob wrote:If I move into KY will my forces fall apart?

Yes, that is exactly what will happen, you can move into Kentucky but your troops will be severely weakened. It's worth a gamble though if you don't think there's a chance you will fight a battle with those troops anytime soon- they will become weak and brittle but will not wilt away on their own.

gbob
Conscript

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:06 pm

How long does that last?

BTW - is there any way to change a unit name (not the force name on the tabs)? There are so many 1st and 2nd this-and-thats it's hard to find the right one in the roster. Thanks!

wsatterwhite
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:58 pm

The penalty itself only exists for one turn (your troops can move in the next turn with no penalty). If you mean how long do your troops suffer if affected, that can take 2 or 3 turns to recover.

wsatterwhite
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:01 pm

gbob wrote:BTW - is there any way to change a unit name (not the force name on the tabs)? There are so many 1st and 2nd this-and-thats it's hard to find the right one in the roster. Thanks!

Not within the game, no.

gbob
Conscript

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Thank you. What would be your priorities as the Union player (waiting a turn for the penalty to go away).

wsatterwhite
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:15 pm

gbob wrote:Thank you. What would be your priorities as the Union player (waiting a turn for the penalty to go away).

You need to hold Louisville (most important) and Paducah at all costs if you can, Bowling Green is much easier to take back if it falls. If I'm not mistaken, you should be able recruit Kentucky militia immediately and not have those troops suffer penalties, recruit as much as you can- the majority will appear in those two cities. If you have any troops ready in Cairo you might risk moving as many as you can across the river into Paducah and setting them to enter the city fortifications immediately, unless you are playing against a prudent human opponent, the Confederates won't be set to immediately assault the city- a siege will set in but because you are so close to friendly territory it can be easily raised, just funnel reinforcements through Charleston, Mo and Columbus, Ky as quickly as you can.

For future reference, you should almost always treat Kentucky as your primary objective in 1861- try to mass three groups of troops in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois off the border in anticipation of Kentucky entry- on the turn of CSA entry, move those troops to Cincinnati or New Albany, Evansville and Cairo respectively so that they can move into Louisville, Bowling Green and Paducah (again, respectively) at the first opportunity. You don't want to initially have those troops all on the border because of the chance it might flip the state to the other side if too many are massed on the border, however, as mentioned above you should try to keep a token force in Cairo in case you absolutely need to secure Paducah.

gbob
Conscript

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:21 pm

This is great stuff, and just what I was hoping for. :thumbsup:

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”