Pocus

07/02/20 screenshot: Regiment Details

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:47 pm

Something on this screen should please some of you.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hobbes

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:17 pm

Everything on this screen pleases me!

(is it the number of men?)

Pocus

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:19 pm

yes, this was requested by some players.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Lafrite

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:49 pm

Cool, on pourra pleurer la mort de chacun de nos hommes :niark:

We will cry for each lost life :nuts:

vertical
Conscript

Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Pocus wrote:yes, this was requested by some players.

Curious if there are any plans to retrofit this feature to BoA? Not asking for a time period as I figure the AGEOD crew is pretty busy right now, just wondering if it will happen. :)

Alex

ian
Conscript

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:21 pm

Still think its better moving the men icons as well? Sorry Pocus I just like fiddling about with Paint Shop Pro.

[SIZE="4"]This isn't an official screenshot folks![/size]

Pocus

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:33 pm

vertical wrote:Curious if there are any plans to retrofit this feature to BoA? Not asking for a time period as I figure the AGEOD crew is pretty busy right now, just wondering if it will happen. :)

Alex

Definitively yes, only this panel and the battle report show the 'dual notation' though, messages are giving losses in hits...

Pocus

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:36 pm

ian wrote:Still think its better moving the men icons as well? Sorry Pocus I just like fiddling about with Paint Shop Pro.

This isn't an official screenshot folks!

some tweaks can be done yes, like grouping men by pack of 5. There is 2 block of texts, because the left one is about combat stats and the right one is about the rest, but you know, everybody has its idea about the best interface.

Hidde
Sergeant

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:57 pm

I have a problem with a picture I want to show here. I've managed to upload it to ImageShack but when I link to it it shows up with a white area all around it, 3-4 times the size of the actuall picture. I don't want to make a fool of myself and have such a thing displayed in this thread :bonk:
Someone knows what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks

ian
Conscript

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:59 pm

Pocus wrote:some tweaks can be done yes, like grouping men by pack of 5. There is 2 block of texts, because the left one is about combat stats and the right one is about the rest, but you know, everybody has its idea about the best interface.

Actually the original unit display and layout is fine by me so I wouldn't change it. :) Especially if it requires a lot of recoding!

ian
Conscript

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:12 pm

Hidde wrote:I have a problem with a picture I want to show here. I've managed to upload it to ImageShack but when I link to it it shows up with a white area all around it, 3-4 times the size of the actuall picture. I don't want to make a fool of myself and have such a thing displayed in this thread :bonk:
Someone knows what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks

Sounds like you are linking the thumbnail or something? I used postthatpic.com to host the picture above and I noticed that there was some references to thumbnails when I uploaded it. First time I've done it so it was a bit of trial and error for me as well.

Hidde
Sergeant

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:37 am

Ok, I can't get it to work better than this. At least it's readable if clicked on.
A small suggestion how too fill out unused space :siffle: Stuff like that or something similar is great for flavor and immersion i think.
Have no idea if it's difficult or time consuming to code so don't be too hard on me if it's a stupid idea.
PS: "Battle Honours" of course stolen from Panzer General

PhilThib

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:22 am

The idea is excellent...just to see if we have time to implement it (may be in the first game patch :king: )

ydejin
Conscript

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:22 am

It's much harder for me to distinguish between the "filled/healthy" soldier icons and the "grayed out/casualties taken" soldier icons than it was with BoA's heart icons. With BoA, I could tell with a quick glance which hearts were filled and which ones were grayed out. Here, I can tell, but only if I look carefully at the soldier icons.

It's possible this is a screenshot quality issue, or it might be because the new icons are much thinner. I like the idea of soldier icons over the heart icons, but these particular icons aren't working well for me. Is anyone else having issues with this, or perhaps it's just me? Any chance of fattening the icons up a bit, or maybe using different colors, stronger contrasting shades of gray, or perhaps have one be an outline instead of a filled in gray shape?

Primasprit

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:42 am

It's much harder for me to distinguish between the "filled/healthy" soldier icons and the "grayed out/casualties taken" soldier icons than it was with BoA's heart icons.
[...]
Is anyone else having issues with this, or perhaps it's just me? [...]

I agree that the hearts where easier to distinguish. Actually I liked the hearts at all. :coeurs:
I am also not really a fan of the idea to group the strength symbols. But this is such a minor issue, I will get used to anything... :cwboy:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:44 am

ydejin wrote:Is anyone else having issues with this, or perhaps it's just me? Any chance of fattening the icons up a bit, or maybe using different colors, stronger contrasting shades of gray, or perhaps have one be an outline instead of a filled in gray shape?

+1 :8o:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

ydejin
Conscript

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:09 am

Hidde wrote:A small suggestion how too fill out unused space :siffle: Stuff like that or something similar is great for flavor and immersion i think.
Have no idea if it's difficult or time consuming to code so don't be too hard on me if it's a stupid idea.
PS: "Battle Honours" of course stolen from Panzer General

I like the "Battle Honours" idea. Of course that should be "Battle Honors" since this is an ACW game. ;)

Hearts of Iron 2 has something similar with tracking a general's past battles, and it's always fun to see where a unit has been.

Primasprit

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:19 am

Hearts of Iron 2 has something similar with tracking a general's past battles, and it's always fun to see where a unit has been.

Yes, I think something like that would be a nice feature. Perhaps the ledger could be used to record past battles. However I have no idea how time-consuming it is to implement that.

Pocus

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:57 am

We want to do the things right, with Feats given to units having impressive battle honors ( = acquired abilities), so this is definitively a 'won't do' before release. The idea is in the air since some months though, so there is great chances it will comes to life within an handful of months.

I will ask the Mistress of All Things Graphical if something can be done with the icons, I tend to agree with you.

ydejin
Conscript

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:02 pm

Pocus wrote:We want to do the things right, with Feats given to units having impressive battle honors ( = acquired abilities), so this is definitively a 'won't do' before release.

Oooh, I like that. I'll have to say I definitely prefer games where units gain "experience" and improve their stats. It makes the game more personal and more involving.

frank7350
Brigadier General

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:30 pm

agreed...it would certainly make the game more engaging! can't wait!

arsan

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:06 pm

Pocus wrote:Definitively yes, only this panel and the battle report show the 'dual notation' though, messages are giving losses in hits...

Showing the number of men is a big plus for me. Thanks!! :coeurs:
But i hope we could also see the numbers in the stacks information:
Like " Jackson Corps (7 units, 354 pwr, 12.537 men/15 guns) "

Also, Hidde idea of battle honors/unit records its a GREAT adition for flavour and inmersion. :coeurs:
And another inmersion idea (not too difficult to implement, i think) would be to add little biographies for the leaders. Something short like Marecone has used in his Shiloh AAR would be more than enough. :siffle:

Cheers
Arsan

gbs
Colonel

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Please don't make any of these suggested changes if it delays the game by even a day. Most of the cosmetic things can be added in a future patch.

ian
Conscript

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Brilliant suggestion from Hidde! I'd keep the outline he has posted. To save space on battles shown under Battle Honors maybe only show the First battle the unit ever fought, and its Last battle to date? To compensate maybe add number of battles fought? Major/Minor?
Who knows, even Regimental nicknames could be fitted in?
Definitely a patch though.

ydejin
Conscript

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:28 pm

ian wrote:Brilliant suggestion from Hidde! I'd keep the outline he has posted. To save space on battles shown under Battle Honors maybe only show the First battle the unit ever fought, and its Last battle to date? To compensate maybe add number of battles fought? Major/Minor?
Who knows, even Regimental nicknames could be fitted in?
Definitely a patch though.

I strongly prefer a complete list of battles. If there's not enough space, perhaps make it available on another screen accessible via a button.

I do agree this all should wait until after release though.

ian
Conscript

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:58 pm

Mmh well I'm not sure? I'm not convinced that a complete list of battles should be visible. Yes a button could be built in but that sounds like a lot of work?
I'm pretty sure Ageod will find a good solution?

Hidde
Sergeant

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:04 am

Well, I don't have much to add. Of course, nothing like this is worth a delay of the game. I'm very happy though, that something is considered for future patches.
A full battle list would also be great. What I thought of was a place for a few special achivements or characteristics of a regiment.
I'm sure that you guys will get it right if you do it sometime in the future.

Spharv2

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:08 am

I think you will all be happy about the level of support the team offers after release. If they can even implement half the things they want to add in after release, the game will improve immeasurably after version 1.0. And frankly, I'm enjoying the game with the current beta release. :)

Generalisimo

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:57 pm

Spharv2 wrote:I think you will all be happy about the level of support the team offers after release. If they can even implement half the things they want to add in after release, the game will improve immeasurably after version 1.0. And frankly, I'm enjoying the game with the current beta release. :)

You are baaaaad... you can't say that to the people... :grr: :niark:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”