wolv18
Conscript

Replacements

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:03 pm

When starting a fresh campaign before you can recruit units you can add replacements. Does adding replacements early help your newly recruited units say in the following turns when recruitment becomes and option. Basically does it fill new units more quickly. Also I have been fooling around with the HQ replacements and I can't seem to tell is it necessary to add points to HQ replacements to fill the HQ's that you are started with at the beginning of a campaign.

I am also kind of confused on the whole stack concept is a stack a division or is it the entire group of units like engineers medics and generals and divisions basically and army. I have always been under the impression it was the latter of the 2 otherwise a stack would just be referred to as a division. However when reading about medics it said there bonus only applied to the stack it was in not the entire army. Thanks for the help.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue May 01, 2012 4:11 am

wolv18 wrote:When starting a fresh campaign before you can recruit units you can add replacements. Does adding replacements early help your newly recruited units say in the following turns when recruitment becomes and option. Basically does it fill new units more quickly. Also I have been fooling around with the HQ replacements and I can't seem to tell is it necessary to add points to HQ replacements to fill the HQ's that you are started with at the beginning of a campaign.

Purchasing replacements during those first turns does not help build speed of new units, they will however potentially fill in missing elements of the units on the map, as well as those that are generated in the scripted armies. Build rate of new units is based off of the build rate associated with each .mdl file. (ie, its under the hood and not able to be altered in game).

Re: HQs, you will have to buy replacements to fill the HQ element to full strength. Also, you will later have the option to recruit new units as events fire and add new HQs to the force pool. You will be notified by a message when those events fire.

wolv18 wrote:I am also kind of confused on the whole stack concept is a stack a division or is it the entire group of units like engineers medics and generals and divisions basically and army. I have always been under the impression it was the latter of the 2 otherwise a stack would just be referred to as a division. However when reading about medics it said there bonus only applied to the stack it was in not the entire army. Thanks for the help.

A stack is any and all units in a single tab at the bottom of the screen. It can be a single regiment on its own, or an entire corps/army stack of tons of units, and anything in between.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

gchristie
Brigadier General

Tue May 01, 2012 2:45 pm

I find as a Union player purchasing a militia replacement on the first turn helps reinforce the Harper's Ferry militia and gives them a better chance to withstand the inevitable early assault by the CSA militia coming from Winchester. Got this tip from someone else on the forum, but it seems to work from my experience.

Purchasing replacements for an Army HQ is expensive, but not as expensive as replacing the HQ if it is destroyed in battle. If you choose not to purchase the replacement, keep the HQ out of harm's way if possible.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 01, 2012 3:30 pm

In an April61 start, you might as well buy replacements. Mouseover existing units, you'll find quite few in the red. Also, in this start, consider:

* Very few units are unlocked. You can't move much anyway, so, replacement buys are good, 'cuz you're gonna need 'em, either for the immediate redded out ones or action later in the summer.

* You get another round of Options in late June. The April to mid-June window is a good time to spend in general. Buying replacements now means you don't have to buy so much in June and can spend on Reinforcements or other things.

* The CSA needs to flesh out Heavy Arty in particular. Both sides should spend at least one Replacement for HQs. Losing an HQ is Not Good for NM, etc.

So, the way I look at it, you might as well beef up some on Replacements in April, there's not all that much else to do, really, and you have to do it at some point. Don't go absolutely nutty, though, there are some free Replacements coming, and, as is true throughout the game, there's always other things to do.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed May 02, 2012 2:56 am

I don't usually buy a replacement for the HQs so early, as it is very unlikely one will be destroyed/beat up if you pay attention. However, I do buy replacements for supply wagons which seem to be starving at start-up - often taking 3 or 4 replacements to sate themselves.....and those replacements are among the most expensive, unfortunately.

One other note ... on one of the attrition settings you must be in a fort, depot, or larger town to actually receive the replacements.
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

colonel hurst
Corporal

Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 am

One question I have regarding HQ replacements is whether or not a HQ at full strength performs better than a HQ that is almost entirely in the red. Any thoughts on this?

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 02, 2012 3:01 pm

Longshanks wrote:I don't usually buy a replacement for the HQs so early, as it is very unlikely one will be destroyed/beat up if you pay attention. However, I do buy replacements for supply wagons which seem to be starving at start-up - often taking 3 or 4 replacements to sate themselves.....and those replacements are among the most expensive, unfortunately.

One other note ... on one of the attrition settings you must be in a fort, depot, or larger town to actually receive the replacements.

True, true...in general, I think your expensive buys are best done from April - June, 1861. To pan even further out, I would say that this period is when you establish the foundations of your approach for that particular game.

How P. Cleburne manages to whack a Fort into Paducah in no time flat, with KY 'on', is amazing. Myself, I find that the Rebs got so much to prep for that it either escapes my mind or I begrudge the resources. Plus, IIRC, the nearest place to build the cheapest required Arty elements for the Fort (i. e., 6-lbers) is in LA, which take time to get 'upriver'.

I'm tellin' ya, I can hardly wait for Pat's tell-all and Book of Secrets. He's scary good.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 pm

colonel hurst wrote:One question I have regarding HQ replacements is whether or not a HQ at full strength performs better than a HQ that is almost entirely in the red. Any thoughts on this?

Dunno fer sure. Mebbe someone else does.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Captain_Orso

Sat May 05, 2012 1:20 pm

GraniteStater wrote:
colonel hurst wrote:One question I have regarding HQ replacements is whether or not a HQ at full strength performs better than a HQ that is almost entirely in the red. Any thoughts on this?

Dunno fer sure. Mebbe someone else does.

Define 'performs better'. The HQ unit allows you to build an army; in other words combine it with a ***general. AFAIK the status of the HQ -- other than still being built/trained - eg. having taken hits -- plays no role in that; it must only exist. I assume that it works that same as supply unit elements that have hits lost. They still carry the same amount of supply as long as the element itself still exists regardless of the number of hits it has lost.

I've never tested nor experienced a 'damaged' HQ working differently than an HQ at 100%, but HQs are the last units to fight in a battle so that happens rarely to never.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue May 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Define 'performs better'. The HQ unit allows you to build an army; in other words combine it with a ***general. AFAIK the status of the HQ -- other than still being built/trained - eg. having taken hits -- plays no role in that; it must only exist. I assume that it works that same as supply unit elements that have hits lost. They still carry the same amount of supply as long as the element itself still exists regardless of the number of hits it has lost.

I've never tested nor experienced a 'damaged' HQ working differently than an HQ at 100%, but HQs are the last units to fight in a battle so that happens rarely to never.

Yes this was answered somewhere else as well, with the same conclusions--no difference in function, just an enhanced risk of possible elimination.

The issue I would raise with this is whether or not HQ's can suffer decimation when using Historical Attrition (i.e. enhanced losses due to desertion and sickness, especially in winter even if sitting by a depot or major city, and much increased if out in the field). I imagine an HQ cannot be entirely eliminated due to this, but can be attrited deep into the red.

Another question: does one risk an HQ elimination when an "almost red" HQ is besieged and running out of supply? I suspect not.
Mosby: "General, you ever heard of Mosby?"
Gen. Stoughton: "Yes have you caught him!?"
Mosby: "He has caught you."

Captain_Orso

Tue May 08, 2012 4:52 pm

Why not? It's just men, horses and a small battery of lt. artillery. They die just like everybody else. Since most of the men are officers, I would hope that they don't suffer as much desertion as other units, but it is just a game ;)

Stauffenberg
General

Wed May 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Why not? It's just men, horses and a small battery of lt. artillery. They die just like everybody else. Since most of the men are officers, I would hope that they don't suffer as much desertion as other units, but it is just a game ;)

Well sure, I've also heard rumours of this ultra-realistic game called REAL LIFE™
...but I don't put much stock in it here. :cool:
Mosby: "General, you ever heard of Mosby?"
Gen. Stoughton: "Yes have you caught him!?"
Mosby: "He has caught you."

Captain_Orso

Wed May 09, 2012 7:20 pm

It's an interesting game. The rules are insane, but the graphics and audio are great :hat:

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 09, 2012 9:11 pm

There are rules?

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Captain_Orso

Wed May 09, 2012 10:05 pm

Sure:

1) You don't pull on superman's cape

2) You don't spit into the wind

3) You don't pull the mask off the 'ol Lone Ranger

4) And you don't mess around with Jim*

*I think Jim-NC is meant, but Pat "Whoop-Ass" Cleburne and a few others might also stand in ;)

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 10, 2012 1:36 am

Oh, OK, got it now.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Jim-NC

Fri May 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Sure:

1) You don't pull on superman's cape

2) You don't spit into the wind

3) You don't pull the mask off the 'ol Lone Ranger

4) And you don't mess around with Jim*

*I think Jim-NC is meant, but Pat "Whoop-Ass" Cleburne and a few others might also stand in ;)

If I recall correctly, at the end of that little rhyme, doesn't Jim look like a jigsaw puzzle with a coupla pieces gone?

I thank you for the sentiment though.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 pm

I thought the same thing, but I figured that was a CHICAGO Jim, not a NORTH CAROLINA Jim.
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

Captain_Orso

Sat May 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Jim-NC wrote:If I recall correctly, at the end of that little rhyme, doesn't Jim look like a jigsaw puzzle with a coupla pieces gone?

Image I think I forgot about that part

gbob
Conscript

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:59 am

Jim-NC wrote:If I recall correctly, at the end of that little rhyme, doesn't Jim look like a jigsaw puzzle with a coupla pieces gone?

Uh, I know this is kinda late, but I just joined the forum. I believe the jigsaw guy was actually named Leroy, as in 'Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown' (different song, same singer). Lucky for all of us Jims, I reckon.

barkmann44
Private

Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:14 am

Yea big jim was "cut in a hundred places and shot in a couple more"

gbob
Conscript

Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:39 am

Oh. Well, as Sterling Hayden (playing the Police Captain in Godfather, part 1) said: When you gotta go, you gotta go. :sourcil:

GLENN G
Conscript

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:00 am

I have been playing the Civil War game for some time but can't seem to generate more than three Confederate Army H.Q. how can I generate more, any advice welcome.

Jim-NC

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:06 am

Welcome to the forum Glenn G. :wavey:

In answer to your question, extra HQs will be added by event at different points in the game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GLENN G
Conscript

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:18 am

Thanks but I have won the war for the south plus the British and French have joined in and I have sent a Confederate Division to Canada to reinforce and still only have three C.S. Army H.Q'S its getting frustrating, i'll have to be patient.

GLENN G
Conscript

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Playing the civil war game now up to early June 1865 and still only 3 C.S. Army H.Q.s in play from an 1862 start there must be away of generating more, I have in play C.S. Army of Northern Virginia, Army of Tennessee, and Army of Mississippi with 84,618 95,248 and 118,387 troops plus another 78,393 under General J. Johnston and 75,845 under General E. Van Dorn both without army H.Q. they just don't generate its now getting annoying, have I gone wrong somewhere or should I just start again, I'm getting to the stage of quitting play.

Jim-NC

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:26 pm

You started in 1862? There may be an issue with that scenario (vs. the main). I would say that at this point you have all the army HQs you are going to have.

In 1861, you start with 1, and then get your 2nd just in time to form the Army of Tennessee when AS Johnston appears.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GLENN G
Conscript

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks for the input but I deleted it and started again, don't have a lot of patience, but it took ages to build up the troop numbers and to bring in the French and British.

GLENN G
Conscript

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 pm

My game has just told me that new Confederate army H.Q. has been added to the force pool what does this mean as I can't find a new H.Q.

Leibst

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:46 pm

i suposse you cant find it on the map but should be on the force pool. So now you can built it.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”