GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm gonna need it. BlindSniper is pretty darn good. I had a situation early in the game where I had a chance for a GangUp and then some, that might have made a difference at that stage, but my largest column 'gave conflicting orders' and stayed put. I still came close, but it changed the tenor of the front in VA early on.

Plus, two or three times now, the latest patch seems to change your posture or another setting occasionally if you fine tune a parameter and then forget to go back and check. I've finally learned to triple check before I send the .ord file, and still, even now, I messed one up on the Turn before last.

I still have chances - we'll see what happens on the last file I sent.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:57 pm

If you want to check the bracket history and current situation in the tourney, always go to the very first post of this thread, which I update via edits whenever a game ends! Thanks for your patronage!
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:06 am

Durk (USA) has conceded a Round 3 game to Altaris (CSA) ... I'll post details asap.
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Details on Durk v Altaris Game

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:00 pm

I wanted to provide a few more details on the recently ended Round Three game between Durk (USA) v Altaris (CSA). As with most tournament games, as the time remaining winds down the player who is behind begins to take more risks in order to catch up. These may pay off, but more likely won't, sometimes with spectacular results. Here is one of those battles!

The final stats were:
Game ended on L Nov 62
Losses: USA 208,355 v CSA 115,241
NM: USA 51 v CSA 158
VPs: USA 996 v CSA 2,281

Territory taken was perhaps surprisingly not so lopsided. The Union held most of Texas (and all three VP citieis there) and Laredo. Yanks also held Virginia to the Rappahannock, and most of the Shenandoah. Tennessee was the only "odd duck." There, the CSA held the Nashville to Paducah line along the Cumberland, with several significant, but isolated, Union incursions. The Union had three cities along the Tennessee River south of Ft H/D, but not the fort itself. Also, the USA had moved south from Carthage as far as Chattanooga, but with no supply line, the units there had faced both defeat and severe attrition. The Missouri line stayed at Springfield-Fayetteville.

Thanks to both players, and as Durk awaits the next tournament, we'll see Altaris in Round 4, which will be the "final four" most likely!

Altaris

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Any new updates? In particular, I'd be interested in knowing the status of the Seraphim/Cleburne game, seeing as I'm to be pitted against the winner of that one. Something tells me I'm in a position like that Alien vs Predator tag-line, "Whichever one wins, I lose!" :)

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue May 01, 2012 2:27 am

They're still evenly matched, with the Union starting to show signs of taking control. However, the CSA still leads in VP. They're ready for the E Dec 62 turn. ....and yes, you'll have your hands full either way!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue May 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Gentlemen:

General Granitestater has conceded.

This was a well-fought game. GS fell behind early after some lost battles, but made a gallant recovery and closed the gap a bit - but noted that the gap was very likely too large to overcome following a long-shot attempt to take Washington (L Jan 63) which fell a bit short.

The CSA held New Orleans and Texas, which are two places that many USA players seek to take in the tourney. He also held the VP cities in North Carolina, until Wilmington fell near the end.

However, loss of troops and the resulting decline in force parity had to be a contributing factor in his decision.

Final score: (USA v CSA)
NM 138 v 70
VPs: 2002 v 1943
VP/turn from cities: 51 v 34
Losses: 102,743 v 165,793

General Blindsniper, I'll set your next game up as soon as possible. General Granitestater, thanks for stepping in and filling a spot in the tourney.

I appreciate the polite play of both of you, and your tolerance for my many hosting mistakes!

Regards,
Your obedient servant,

Gen. Longshanks

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Here is a pictorial version of what's going on in the tourney. The "winner's bracket" is on the right, and the "loser's bracket" is on the left. The key thing to remember is that a player stays in the tourney until he has two losses. So, you can move back and forth between the brackets at least once before elimination. The other salient point is that there were fewer games than planned because of drop-outs - however, I'm not complaining! It's worked out fine so far. The two games that are currently active are: Round 2 FelixZ v Rudolf and Round 3 Seraphim v Pat Cleburne

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Seraphim (USA) v Pat Cleburne (CSA) L April 63 Update

Sun May 13, 2012 1:55 am

We're heading into the stretch on this VERY CLOSE game. This has been the most evenly matched of all the games so far, with EIGHT victory points separating the two, and neither player in the position where he has to make desperate moves to win.

It's been an odd game in the following respect: both players refused to go on the offensive in Virginia. So, the lines are very much like they were at the start of the war.

Kentucky and Tennessee have been much more active, with Seraphim focusing on the Paducah to Meredith axis of advance. Recently middle Tennessee has been active with small forces as the Union probes to see what is in Chattanooga. Grant just moved from Nashville to Humboldt - you can extend that line to Memphis if you like!

The Union moved into Missouri pretty fast, and failed in its attempt to flank Ft. Smith and go for Little Rock. After that though, things settled down and there's been little movement there for around a year.

Seraphim has been in control for most of the game, but Gen. Cleburne has given him few errors, if any, to exploit. Likewise, Seraphim has made few errors. The most volatile area has been Texas, which Pat did not initially fight over, then re-took, and has recently lost yet again, as the Union has sent in Hooker and another general to nail down these 2 of the 3 victory point cities - every point counts in this game! Note that the CSA still owns New Orleans ... but not much else around it.

The Confederacy took Ft. Pickens, but subsequently lost the VP city, Pensacola. However, the Union has attempted to retake Ft. Pickens a couple of times without success.

Nashville finally fell in March, which closed the VP gap a bit, and New Orleans has been besieged for a month, but still holds on, perhaps daring Fremont's army to attack. There is plenty of Union punch there ... but why risk it yet?

Seraphim is in position to win it having finally taken the VP lead for the first time, but anything can happen, and Gen. Cleburne will have his chances to win as we go down to the wire! Whatever happens, this will be the first loss for either player, and I would bet the farm they'll be having another face off before the tourney is over!

Altaris

Mon May 14, 2012 1:18 am

Oh dear lord I'm in trouble :)

So what will this put me as playing in my rematch vs Cleburne? I last played CSA, and played CSA vs him. I'm hoping I'll get USA this time around (as I think I have a *slightly* better chance with them), but how does that work since he's also playing CSA in his current game?

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 14, 2012 2:12 am

Oh, I put a little blackpowder in a jar, shake it up real good, throw it high in the air above a campfire and see what lands near me afterwards.

We're reaching the stage where re-matches are likely to happen. Be of stout heart! If you hadn't done well, you wouldn't be this far in! Opposition is bound to get tougher.

I usually let the players decide which side they want, unless it's time for both of them to switch sides. In the former case if they agree, it's settled. No one's disagreed yet!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Final Results - Seraphim v Pat Cleburne

Thu May 24, 2012 2:56 am

Gentlemen,

What a finish, as you will see! A pleasure to watch this game, fought between two AACW Titans!

July 19 1863 - 31,000 Union Casualties, 24,000 Confederate at Washington DC - But the City Holds! +10 CSA NM
Union Casualties Include: Gen's Buford and Parke Killed, Gen's Hooker, Hancock, Hays, Minty, Stoneman, Howard, and Schurz Wounded
Confederate Losses Include: ...None! But multiple promotions resulted, indicating the tenacious and skillful attacks that were made.
Confederates Take over 25,000 prisoners and 8,600 rifles ... in ONE BATTLE! But would this be enough to close the VP gap???

FINAL GAME STATS (as of end of L July 63/start of E Aug 63 turn):
Rebels take the NM Struggle! NM USA = 105, CSA=115
Rebels take the most prisioners! POWs = 20,300 Rebel POWS, 29,800 Union prisoners (which, given the notes from the last battle, seems very wrong!)
Yanks take the fewest Combat losses! Combat Losses: USA=108,850, CSA=126,964
AND IN A VERY CLOSE FINISH: VPs: USA=2731, CSA=2717, delta = ONLY 14 VPs!!!! Union Victory!

General Cleburne very nearly pulled off a miracle... but Gen. Seraphim can breathe a sigh of relief that his last battle is over for this game, and he is the victor!

WHAT A GAME!!!! Climaxed by the bloodiest battle I've ever seen - over 55,000 lost between the two forces.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 24, 2012 3:35 am

Just out of curiousity, was Lee attacking MacClellan? Was DC in Union possession before and after? I assume these are all affirmative, but just wondering.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]

-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES

(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Thu May 24, 2012 5:05 am

Well, at least I made it interesting. I didn't anticipate a win of that magnitude at the end.

Hats off to my opponent. He kept me on my heels and guessing the whole game. Never fell for any traps. Never left me any openings at all. Congrats Seraphim.

Altaris

Thu May 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Hats off to both of you, that small of a VP gap shows just how close in ability you both are.

I concur that Seraphim doesn't make mistakes, having watched him play in Round 1 while hosting. He's like the Terminator, just keeps coming and coming with brutal efficiency :) The fact that you were able to hold him off so closely speaks volumes for your ability as well Pat - which I can also vouch is pretty solid, having lost to you :)

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Final of FelixZ v Rudolf

Thu May 31, 2012 1:43 pm

The last Round 2 game has ended with the resignation of Rudolf (CSA) after two attempts under Lee, Longstreet, and Jackson with 105,000 men to take Washington DC in April 1863. He came close! Grant managed to *just* get in the entrenchments at DC before the first battle started. In the second battle the following turn, Union firepower took over and the South lost over 80 units. At that point, the Southern flag was struck, as they were behind 550 VPs with only a few turns left.

FelixZ pressed along the Gulf coast, in Tennessee and Mississippi, and finally in Texas to secure his advantage.

Rudolf takes his second loss, and bows out of the tourney. FelixZ is now 1-1 (having inherited CitizenX's loss) and moves on to the Third Round versus Moni Kerr. In that game MK will be the Union, and FZ the CSA. They are both 1-1, so this is an elimination game!

A round of salutes for both Rudolf and FelixZ! :dada:

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Bracket Update June 1 2012

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Final Four = Seraphim, Altaris, Pat Cleburne and winner of FelixZ/MoniKerr game!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Final Four Update

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Currently playing a Round 4 game between Altaris (USA) and Seraphim (CSA). We're in L Mar 62, so still over a year to go. Altaris recovered from an early setback trying to invade Wilmington, and has been aggressive with the US Navy. He is currently all over Texas, Savannah, most of Florida, and he has a substantial beachhead in Alabama. Most CSA ports of note are blockaded. The Virginia front is stable with the CSA controlling Manassas, but the USA controlling the Shenandoah and Alexandria. Seraphim has nearly all of Missouri, except for St. Louis and St. Joseph. The USA came out strong in West Kentucky and West Tennessee, but Stonewall flanked him, re-took Paducah, and now the US has pulled out of Kentucky except for the Lexington-Louisville area. Unlike previous games, Seraphim has been mostly reacting in this one - however his reactions have been sure and swift not only in West Kentucky, but in thwarting Lyon's incursions into Baton Rouge and Pearl, Louisiana, from which he withdrew. Lots left to play in this game, and not at all clear who will win! Some things that will bear on the game I can't mention here as well!!!
NM: USA 72, CSA 108
VP: USA 852, CSA 968
City VP/turn: USA 41, CSA 45
Losses: USA 28,758, CSA 19,721

The tourney's last Round 3 game is underway between Moni Kerr (USA) and FelixZ (CSA). Not as far along on this one: L Aug 61. Kentucky has been invaded, and the USA holds Lexington and Louisville, but nothing else. In Missouri, Price hold Springfield, but Lyon is well-fixed in Jeff City. In Virginia, the CSA holds Manassas and the Shenandoah, but the USA holds H's Ferry and Alexandria. No naval invasions so far. With just under two years left, who knows what can become of this game?
NM: USA 87, CSA 107
VP: USA 215, CSA 432
City VP/turn: USA 36, CSA 50
Losses: USA 11,150, CSA 7,763

Altaris

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:54 am

Seraphim is scary good at this game. I thought I had New Orleans and/or Baton Rouge in the bag when I landed 500 CP under Lyon between the two in a sneak amphib landing. When I launched it, he had just a few troops in each (could see them via blockade ships), but by the time I landed, he had both built up pretty well. Completely through me for a loop and ruined my plans. Would've been salvageable if I had planned my TP logistics a bit better and put about 1200 CP with Grant and Lyon there, but just didn't have the TP capacity. One of those "live and learn" situations I suppose... really have to throw the kitchen sink at your opponent to pull off a successful amphib operation in marshy territory.
Still somewhat in the running, but I'm definitely outclassed in ability.

Durk

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:28 am

Thanks for the update. I continue to follow the tournament, wishing all well and thanking Longshankls, once more, for hosting.
My best to all, but especially to my opponent Altaris.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tournament Update June 23

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:33 pm

NEWS FROM HEADQUARTERS!

Gentlemen:

General Altaris has issued the following Orders:
"After reviewing the current situation, i am ready to concede victory to Seraphim. At this point, the VP spread is too wide and the military position too weak to be feasible for a US win." The bells in Richmond ring in victory, but in the North they toll in defeat.

Seraphim, you advance to the final game, versus the winner of Pat Cleburne vs MoniKerr/FelixZ. Altaris, alas, has lost his second game and exits the tourney with head held high as a member of the Final Four, however!

The R3 game between MoniKerr and FelixZ continues, now in Nov 1861. The winner of that game will play Pat Cleburne, and the winner of that game will play Seraphim for the championship!

Altaris had to go defensive after the aborted Louisiana invasion and West KY/TN invasion. Jackson thwarted the latter (as previously described), and several CSA generals combined to force Lyon over to Pensacola, where he had modest success. Seraphim checked Texas, but did not make a real effort to retake it. Instead, he moved Beauregard and the Army of the Potomac on attack at Alexandria, which he took (if memory serves). However, he was thwarted in his attempt to take DC due to the obscure (but suddenly evident in several games - see the FI AAR between me and Granitestater) "Army Commander Rule." This rule states that an Army will execute no orders if there is another stack in its region. Bory was in Alexandria with Jackson's corps, and attempted to move across the river to invest DC. However, according to LL's interpretation (thank you, sir, for responding to my plea), Bory failed to move for the foregoing reason, and Jackson failed to move due to the number of Union troops across the river. The result: no attack, which I can safely state surprised the heck out of Seraphim. Milroy then moved to take F'burg, but (as you can see in the final situation map), Longstreet was about to rip through him, and Bory was about to turn over command to Marse Roberts. Grim for the Union, when you look at the objectives chart. Hence, Altaris saw that he would be very unlikely to recover against Seraphim - who is as unlikely to make a mistake as anyone I've ever seen play this game. I'm not saying he can't be beat, but he's the LeBron of this tournament.

Here are the final situational maps.

Altaris

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:24 am

Congrats to Seraphim on his win! It is well-deserved, that dude is a friggin' machine!

I went for a heavy Anaconda plan, which I've been successful with in the past, but Seraphim is very good at understanding and anticipating weaknesses/openings, and I failed on a few critical operations to take key targets when I needed them. I thought I had New Orleans/Baton Rouge in the bag at the end of 1861, but Seraphim happened to move enough into the cities right before I landed to keep them safe... that was also a self-inflicted damage to myself, as I failed to have enough TP's on hand to take my full force just conquering TX to LA, had I been able to get a full 1000 CP to LA, I think I would've stayed in teh running.

I also made a crucial error in leaving Paducah exposed, though granted I didn't realize the opening until it was too late. This really screwed me up out West, not so much in losing territory, but in taking pressure off the CSA.

Anyway, I learned a lot, against a really solid player like Seraphim, nothing can be taken for granted... gotta bring overly sufficient forces to ensure success.

Hats off, I really expect this guy is going to cream all the rest of you too! :P

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Last Semi-Final Game Underway

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Moni Kerr wins an umpired decision over FelixZ and advances to face Pat Cleburne in the last semi-final (aka "final four") game. The winner will take on Seraphim for championship of the tourney!

Congrats to MK, and thanks to FelixZ for being an alternate in the tourney!

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:24 pm

This is absolutely brilliant. I love the way you've handled this one, Longshanks.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Thank you, Gen'l Monkey-Bear!

On a completely unrelated note: Did we serve together in the Urus-Apian Wars on Alpha Centauri in a future life?

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:43 pm

On a completely unrelated note: Did we serve together in the Urus-Apian Wars on Alpha Centauri in a future life?

Longshanks, I believe you are correct. But I must point out that as your question is phrased in the past tense, our future wars must have occurred in some parallel universe (otherwise, how can the future have already happened?)

I searched all over Wikipedia and could find no reference to this. What on earth are you talking about? FYI, I'm not very well-versed when it comes to Si-Fi. I am of the rare breed of monkey-bears which do not explore the galaxy.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:34 am

An update on the current game between Moni Kerr (USA) and Pat Cleburne (CSA): We just finished August of 61. The USA has taken most of Kentucky, and survived an attack by Longstreet and Jackson on Alexandria and Washington! The attack even freed up Winfield Scott who subsequently got in a fight elsewhere! So, some early fireworks.... otherwise, the lines have settled down along normal lines in Virginia. In the West, the CSA failed to take Tucson, but held well at Springfield. No naval invasions yet.

Seraphim awaits the winner for the final!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Very nice game going on between Generals Cleburne (CSA) and Moni Kerr (USA), including several moves I've never seen before! One of these moves will be nominated for recognition by Our Most Gracious Queen! I expect to have a blow-by-blow wrap of of 1861 this weekend, compleat with comments from the combatants!

Stay tuned, grognards!

Captain_Orso

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Dang LS, I'm getting all excited. I can't wait for the next report Image

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:19 am

Yes please post soon! We are all very anxious to see if Pat Cleburne will have a re-match with Seraphim in the final or if it will be Moni Kerr.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”