Captain
Captain

Roster Tools

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:27 am

Since I have brought up again the Leader Casualty wish list, there is another item which would be exceptionally useful on the roster, this time for units.

As we know a brigade can merge with another unit to replace lost elements. Is anyone else sick of going through every divison pulling them apart, clicking together to see if your single element can fit into every larger formation. it is laborius and tedious :bonk:
Wouldn't it be far easier to (similar to my leader proposal) look up the units list and see a list for units that are labelled as missing elements? Ok a brigade in Pickets divison at Winchester is missing an element of infantry no worries I ship up a trained up militia to take the place. Wouldn't that be great :w00t:

And for fanatics like myself who likes to keep divisions based on statehood, you would be able to see,,, oh Hood's Texans are missing a cavalry element, I can now even plan my recruiting, building and replcements much more efficiently and easily.

Any comments? Surely this has to be a logical progression like the Leader list?

Jim-NC

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:49 am

Seems a bit labor intensive. :cuit:

Have you tried waiting for the unit to receive replacements instead? :evilgrin:

Seriously, however, I don't think most players are as die hard about it as you are. So it may be accomplished, but not on the current AACW. You should add it to the AACW2 Wishlist.

I personally would not use it very often (if ever). I usually let them just get replacements to rebuild those lost elements (it does lend itself to certain weird situations, like where a unit with a Lt Art has the 6lbs upgraded to 12lbs, then loses an infantry element. If there are Lt arty replacements, the the unit may end up with 2 artillery elements (it doesn't recognize the 12lb guns, and gets a 2nd or 3rd artillery).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain
Captain

Labor Intensive?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:37 am

Jim,
admittedly my statehood passion is not critical and essentially superflous.
However the ability to see what elements a brigade is missing and therefore able to merge the correct units is a major game aid indeed. To be able to see this at a glance on a roster would save enormous labour for players.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:39 am

deleted

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 am

I've been playing for a few years now, and I've never used the merge command on regular units. I don't see the point and it doesn't work for me the few times I've tried.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:17 am

Besides the benefit that Gray has said, when you merge two militia units (two elements in a unit) you can reduce to one command points, what is very important, especially until you can form divisions.
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wsatterwhite
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:I've been playing for a few years now, and I've never used the merge command on regular units. I don't see the point and it doesn't work for me the few times I've tried.

The one I can think of that I always do is the Union marine regiment that pops up on Turn 2 and the Union Brigade that pops up later in 1861, that unit starts out with a slot open that I don't believe ever gets filled through the regular replacement system and can only be filled by (I believe) a marine regiment or a recruited regular regiment (non-militia).

Captain
Captain

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:36 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Use the replacement system. It's what it is specifically designed for. It removes the burdensome micromanagement that you are doing. The only real use for merging is to speed up the production of 2 element militia units since the number of 1 element militia units is limited to a finite number allowed in play. By merging those single element militia units you allow for more single element militia units to be built.

The replacment sytem is limited by its constraints (quite correctly) however the merge system is very valuable for bringing brigades up to strength on location! Added to that the command points benefits.
With the merge ability brigades are less dependent on the supply system.
Either way having a brigade/missing elements list would allow players to rotate that unit to a replacement location if they can't do in situ merger.

Captain
Captain

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:41 am

Ethan wrote:Besides the benefit that Gray has said, when you merge two militia units (two elements in a unit) you can reduce to one command points, what is very important, especially until you can form divisions.

Merging is utilising the same principle except on location ;-)

I often accompany divisions, corps with single replacement units (a reason for occasionally NOT merging militia), inf, art, cav so they can immediately slot into brigaes that bare the brunt of heavy casualties. Operationally the method works quite well, the only drawback wading through every element. If this was listed on the roster you could see this at a glimpse.

Gray_Lensman

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:39 am

deleted

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”