Pocus

Feature # 22 : traits & Abilities

Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:49 pm

In AACW, as in real life, many combat elements and leaders represented have special abilities or quirky traits. These improve the historical flavor of the game and can really tip a battle when used wisely or cause a disaster if not.

Some examples:

Leader traits -

Cavalryman: 25% combat bonus when leading cavalry elements in clear, desert or plain (unconstricted) terrain.

Fast Mover: 25% move bonus to the whole stack.

Master Driller: Occasionally improves training of the elements under his command.

American-Indian: Leader may command Indian units without a command penalty.

Reckless: Commander is less likely to retreat from battle.

Railroad Expert: No minimum % of control required to use railroads. Railroad repair time reduced by 50%.

Poor Scouting: Often misled by faulty reports, this leader increases throughout the area the Hide value of all enemy stacks by 1 if the leader with this trait is the Commander in Chief in the area.

Element abilities -

Engineer: Reduce the time needed by the parent stack to build trenches.

Ranger Survival: The parent unit uses less food in wild terrain.

Crossing Expert: Reduces the time needed by the parent stack to cross rivers.

Screener: The unit can negate some losses during rout.

Sharpshooter: The parent unit gains +1 initiative in combat.

There are several important aspects of traits and abilities to consider.

First, traits and abilities apply conditionally. For example, consider the Cavalryman trait. The benefit from this trait only apply when cavalry that are lead by this leader fight in unconstrained terrain. Trying to charge horses in mountainous terrain won't give much benefit! The Ranger trait also illustrates this in that the unit is made, at least partially, of hunters so the parent unit can reduce how much food is consumed while the unit is in woods and forest terrain due to local foraging. Forget the bonus if you are camping in open terrain!

Also, traits and/or abilities, while possessed by either leaders or elements, can share their benefits (or curses) with the parent unit, or even the whole stack. And finally, traits and abilities can add or subtract from each other in some very interesting ways. While having 2 elements that are Crossing Experts will not double the time reduction in time for crossing a water obstacle, having them in a stack with an leader that is Reckless will allow your stack to get to a battle quickly if it has to cross rivers AND then not retreat so easily once there.

See the glossary for a detailed description of elements, units and stacks.

Glossary:
Element: The smallest fighting component in AACW. For example, a regiment, an artillery battery or a special company.

Unit: A collection of elements. A division or a brigade is made of regiments (= elements).

Stack: A collection of units. A corps is made of divisions and brigades.

To illustrate this point, consider the following examples. You have a sharpshooter company in your brigade. Because they help suppress the enemy reactivity (lieutenant's take cover when there are sharpshooters around!), the whole brigade (yours!) can fire first more often and not just the sharpshooter company.

Or, lets say, you have a Crossing Expert element in a stack. This is a company of bridge layers ... but they will help several divisions move faster by laying pontoon bridges across river obstacles along the route of movement.

An early screenshot which is not giving justice to the ability system (I will update it within a few days). Jackson will have several abilities as you can expect from this superb commander, and the Detail Window will include several new informations.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

mcf
Private

Top stuff

Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:45 pm

I'm a complete lurker on these boards but this game is just looking so damn cool that I can't help myself.

It is really great that a developer is putting so much effort into gameplay and graphics. I wish other wargames were as ambitious in their efforts.

I bought BOA early on and thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be happy to buy ACW and give that a go too.

Keep up the outstanding work!

Sol Invictus

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:51 pm

I absolutely love the Leader Trait system, it really fleshes out the historical Leader abilities. Only one problem that I can see, Jackson's card will not be big enough to hold all of the excellent traits that he will have. ;) Can't wait to see some of the other "gods of war" that will be in the game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Pocus

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:26 am

We will limit ourself to max 4 traits for each leader, the rest being taken into account into the strategic-offensive-defensive stats. The UI is limiting us a bit here, as the code can let you add as many abilities as you want.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:50 am

the whole text has been completely revised thanks to some beta testers input.

rasnell
Major

Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:11 am

Do you know what download service will be offered when we purchase AACW? I hope that Gamer's Gate is not involved. There are several games that I love (mostly through Paradox) that I will not be purchasing in the future because of Gamer's Gate.

Even when you wait for CD or retail versions, many companies are relying on Gamer's Gate for the patches. I also will not buy those any more.

Unbelieveable problems with this company. Take a look over at Take Command: Manassas for customer dealings with Gamer's Gate.

I hope that Aegod is not leaning toward Gamer's Gate, but, if you are, will you consider other download options? I love BOA and cannot wait to support you with the latest -- but I will not go through the hassles of Gamer's Gate.

The company must be based in Switzerland or somewhere -- none of my American banks would approve a VISA purchase. They do not reply to e-mails. Their interface is horrible (you get the German patch instead of what you asked for in Take Command) etc.

Leibst

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:21 pm

Have you consider the 'fall in combat' of the generals depending of their 'love to be in first line'?
also could be general that would be wounded for a couple of months and the return to service or not, depending the gravity of the wounds.

PhilThib

Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:13 pm

rasnell wrote:Do you know what download service will be offered when we purchase AACW? I hope that Gamer's Gate is not involved. There are several games that I love (mostly through Paradox) that I will not be purchasing in the future because of Gamer's Gate.

Even when you wait for CD or retail versions, many companies are relying on Gamer's Gate for the patches. I also will not buy those any more.

Unbelieveable problems with this company. Take a look over at Take Command: Manassas for customer dealings with Gamer's Gate.

I hope that Aegod is not leaning toward Gamer's Gate, but, if you are, will you consider other download options? I love BOA and cannot wait to support you with the latest -- but I will not go through the hassles of Gamer's Gate.

The company must be based in Switzerland or somewhere -- none of my American banks would approve a VISA purchase. They do not reply to e-mails. Their interface is horrible (you get the German patch instead of what you asked for in Take Command) etc.

I am surprised you get bad service from GamersGate, I never experienced any...but may be because I am based in Europe. FYI, they are based in Stockholm, Sweden and are in some kind of partnership with Paradox.

If AACW is sold with / through GamersGate, it will be IN ADDITION to our own platform and service, as well as that of other suppliers / publishers, such as Matrix for example. Currently, if you look at Birth of America, customers may get it from us (best), Matrix and GamersGate. And some more may be coming too.

In all cases, we take deep care of providing updates and patches regularly, and these will always be available from us, on both our forum and the game's website :coeurs:

saintsup
Captain

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:43 pm

PhilThib wrote:I am surprised you get bad service from GamersGate, I never experienced any...

I just bought HOI 2 DD a few days ago on GamersGate. There was no access to download the manual on GG as it should be like stated in the Pdx forum. And they NEVER responded to my e-mails. Paradox never responded too.

So I bought a game for real money, and I cannot get a manual and nobody cares. I'm quiet mad.

saintsup
Captain

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:44 pm

PhilThib wrote:In all cases, we take deep care of providing updates and patches regularly, and these will always be available from us, on both our forum and the game's website :coeurs:

That's VERY good

Generalisimo

Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:27 pm

saintsup wrote:I just bought HOI 2 DD a few days ago on GamersGate. There was no access to download the manual on GG as it should be like stated in the Pdx forum. And they NEVER responded to my e-mails. Paradox never responded too.

So I bought a game for real money, and I cannot get a manual and nobody cares. I'm quiet mad.

Have you complained about that in the Paradox forum?
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

saintsup
Captain

Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:14 pm

Generalisimo wrote:Have you complained about that in the Paradox forum?

Sorry we are going very OT here.

Yep and the response was:
- go to the sticky who says how to find the manual (but if you look at the sticky until the end ... which I did, it is just said that the manual can't be found on the GG interface anymore) :bonk:
or
- the manual doesn't serve for anything ... ask questions on the forum :grr:

Btw I thought you were the 'famous' Generalissimo.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”