Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Leader strat/off/def bonus increases

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:19 pm

Which of the following statements is correct?

1) Army commanders pass down bonuses for strat/off/def ratings not only to corps commanders, but also to division commanders within the corps.

2) Division commanders within a corps can have their ratings increased quickly by combat experience, even though losing.

It's got to be one of these, and I have no idea which, because they seem both rather unlikely to me. The situation is this: Grant is army commander, Kearny is corps commander. Kearny loses a series of battles (big time), yet Keyes and Hamilton as division commanders in his corps afterwards have fantastic ratings (4-6-5 and 5-5-5 IIRC) that are way higher than the starting values. So whence did they get the increases? Thanks. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

arsan

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Army commanders pass bonus (or "malus") only to their corps commanders.
The tooltip over the corps badge tells you how much IIRC.
Division leaders (well, any leader in fact) don't get those bonus, but they may increase in ratings through combat experience, like units (the stars on the unit detail screen).
IIRC the first stars gives +1 deff, the second +1 off etc.
I'm not sure if the strat rating increase with exp.

Units get experience by killing enemy elements, no matter if they win or lose the battle. I guess Leaders will get experience if the unist they command kill enemies, no matter if the lose or win the battle.
But i'm basically guessing here, so don't believe too much ;) :D
Cheers

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks, Arsan. Well, one way or the other Keyes and Hamilton must have gotten these rather impressive (from a Union perspective) ratings. I am at the office and can't look, but I seem to recall that both are rather in the slightly better than 3-1-1 range to start with. 5-5-5 is pretty nice. I think Grant doesn't even start rated that good.
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Pocus

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:42 pm

That would mean their division butchered quite a number of enemy troops indeed...

Division commanders get experience when their elements kill others elements, and lose when they have their elements destroyed.
The elements within the division are boosted by the division commander plus the corps commander, which is himself boosted by the army commander, BUT the division commander is not boosted directly.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jim-NC

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:17 pm

Experience effects the offensive and defensive traits in generals. See my link below:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14311&highlight=experience

I played until 1866, and never saw my generals strat ratings move.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Maybe you're playing with randomized general stats?

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Pocus wrote:That would mean their division butchered quite a number of enemy troops indeed....

Well, now that you mention it, yes. In fact I posted about that other battle a few days ago where I destroyed 19 enemy elements and was told I lost 8 NM (but it turned out I won them)? That was likely the same corps.

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 pm

enf91 wrote:Maybe you're playing with randomized general stats?

Nope. Though I think one day I will. :)

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Jim-NC wrote:Experience effects the offensive and defensive traits in generals. See my link below:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14311&highlight=experience

I played until 1866, and never saw my generals strat ratings move.

Interesting thread! I'll watch the strat rating more closely. :)

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:11 pm

I just confirmed that Keyes and Hamilton are both 3-1-1 at start. Their four weeks of fighting in my campaign brought them increases of +1 +2 +5 (Keyes) and +2 +4 +4 (Hamilton). Not bad, and yes, the strat rating does improve. :)

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Keyes' numbers can't be right. DEF always increases 1:1 wit OFF. I haven't seen STR increases with exp, so I don't know how that works. Actually, I have, but it was in 1.08 or so.

blackbird
Sergeant

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:I just confirmed that Keyes and Hamilton are both 3-1-1 at start. Their four weeks of fighting in my campaign brought them increases of +1 +2 +5 (Keyes) and +2 +4 +4 (Hamilton). Not bad, and yes, the strat rating does improve. :)

enf91 wrote:Keyes' numbers can't be right. DEF always increases 1:1 wit OFF. I haven't seen STR increases with exp, so I don't know how that works. Actually, I have, but it was in 1.08 or so.

Granted that I am a bit new to this game, but could we be talking about different things here? Perhaps Heldenkaiser's numbers are coming after a Corps or Army conferred bonus and not innate experience derived leadership ability numbers???

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:01 pm

I think I've noticed recently that you can get core bonuses for multiple generals. If you form a corps with one general and get the bonus next turn, then place a general with a higher seniority into the corps, they take over and get the bonus too. I think this is what I saw but I could be wrong. I'll have to see if I can recreate it.

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:44 pm

blackbird wrote:Granted that I am a bit new to this game, but could we be talking about different things here? Perhaps Heldenkaiser's numbers are coming after a Corps or Army conferred bonus and not innate experience derived leadership ability numbers???

No. See above. They are division commanders and don't receive a bonus from army. Besides, just to be sure I isolated them. The numbers remained the same.

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:I think I've noticed recently that you can get core bonuses for multiple generals. If you form a corps with one general and get the bonus next turn, then place a general with a higher seniority into the corps, they take over and get the bonus too. I think this is what I saw but I could be wrong. I'll have to see if I can recreate it.

That does sound possible. The corps was first headed by Hamilton, then Keyes' division was added, with him being senior and becoming corps commander, then I added Kearny. But shouldn't the ratings for the previous commanders go down in the next turn?

Also, the increases for Hamilton are much higher than those for Keyes, and different from the bonus conveyed by Grant.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”