Whitman
Private

Iron Clad in the Great Lakes?

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:54 pm

I built an Ironclad in Illinois, turn 1 in a Coming Fury. I know when I ended the turn I got a free Ironclad and some other free stuff.

Turn 2 an Ironclad is in the great lakes (Chicago), which I am quite sure means it is trapped. Did I do that, or is that just for effect or something? Because if that was me, then why in the heck does the game even let you build Ironclads in Illinois if it is going to stick them in the Great Lakes? I mean, that is like just there to torture you.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

DarthMath
Colonel

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:11 pm

If I remember correctly, you can move them by river to the Mississippi. Just drag and drop from Chicago to St-Louis or Cairo, I think it works.
"You know, in this world, there's two kind of people, my friend. Those who have a loaded gun, and those who dig in. You dig in ..." :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:36 pm

It works. They use some canal. Now the armored frigate on Lake Erie, that one is stuck for good I believe. At least I never got it out.
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:47 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:It works. They use some canal. Now the armored frigate on Lake Erie, that one is stuck for good I believe. At least I never got it out.

Yep :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Michigan_%281843%29

S! EC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:27 am

deleted

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:29 am

Is the canal flat or something? I've heard the Panama Canal changes in altitude to prevent the unnatural transfer of Pacific and Atlantic sea life or something.

lodilefty

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:06 pm

enf91 wrote:Is the canal flat or something? I've heard the Panama Canal changes in altitude to prevent the unnatural transfer of Pacific and Atlantic sea life or something.

No, canals follow the contours of the earth. Panama Canal goes up to Lake somethng, then down. :blink:

Fish can swin into the locks with the ships!!!! :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:It works.

...unless segments are frozen along the way.

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:For Everyones' Information, The canal being referred to above, though it's in the game, historically did not exist until the end of the 19th century. (30 years or so AFTER the Civil War). I only found this out recently. The canal is still in v1.15 of the game.

I view this as a case of two wrongs making a right. I find it rather maddening that I can't choose to build all my river ironclads in cities along the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. But the anachronistic canal makes building ironclads in cities bordering the Great Lakes tolerable.

PhilThib

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Regarding the Erie Canal, I found everywhere it was opened in 1825 :cool:

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:01 am

deleted

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 am

This, of course makes Chicago a problem because, without the anachronistic canal, any ships built there will have to go over the Great Lakes and Erie Canal to the Hudson River, then down the coast to the Gulf of Mexico, then back up the Mississippi. And if the Mississippi is controlled by the CSA...

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:50 am

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:49 pm

deleted

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:However, there was a predecessor canal called the "Illinois and Michigan Canal" which opened in 1848 and had a width of 60' and a depth of 6'.

That sounds awfully narrow and shallow to squeeze through. According to this site most ACW river gunboats drew 6 feet or more of water and at least some were also wider than 60 feet. Some "tinclads" may have been able to use such a canal, as their draft is given from 2 to 6 feet.
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)

[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]

American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Gray_Lensman

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:14 pm

deleted

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:36 am

...and it looks like that beam width would prohibit transportation by rail.

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Orn

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Here's a link to a book in the Official Records of the Navy for the civil war this book gives you the cost, manufacturer, measurments, armaments etc. for every ship in the Union navy enjoy its a long read.

http://digital.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;rgn=main;view=text;idno=ofre2001
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty
-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."
-Napoleon III-

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 pm

And it takes awhile to load so don't worry it will come up :thumbsup:
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty

-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."

-Napoleon III-

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”