Captain_Orso

New Units Not Being Built

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:32 pm

I know that if you are building new units and you accidentally go into the red in your expenditures that some of the unit will just not be build. But this is like the second or third time that this has happened to me. It's Early January '62 and under Financial I picked raising Bonds and a One Time Tax, both so that no inflation occurs, and I receive about $1,1 million. Because I've been strapped for cash the last months I have a sizable number of conscripts waiting to be inducted and a small mountain of WS and I went on a shopping spree :dada: .

This is what I build:
1x Blockade Squadron on the Atlantic Coast
8x Ocean Transports on the Atlantic Coast
2x Army HQ

6x [/] in PA (that's cavalry)
5x [/] in IL
4x [/] in IA

2x [X][X][•][/] in PA
2x [•]12lb in NJ
1x [X][X][s] in PA
2x [X][X] in PA (that's one division)

2x [X][X][•][/] in OH
2x [•]12lb in OH
1x [s] in OH
3x [X][X] in OH (that's a second division)

Everything showed up except the 4 [X][X][•][/] Bde in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I'm sure that I still had resources left when I executed the turn, and I didn't create any divisions with generals that turn either.

Could there be some other source of indirect costs being tallied that I don't see?

I don't get it. I'm not even sure if I got the money back from the Bde that didn't get built, because at the beginning of the next turn you already get the income from the last and the total isn't the same as when I clicked the bugle.

The 4 Bde are not even the first or last units I bought, but rather in the middle. And I've bought complete divisions before in one turn, even two at a time from the same state, and had all of the units show up.

Anybody have an idea what could be causing this?

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:03 am

It happens all the time when you order lots of new units. I've just learned to live with it.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

DaemoneIsos
Sergeant

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:44 am

The financial results are prospective estimates, meaning that you probably will not achieve all that you are told. If you look at the turn results, you will see reports about raising X dollars from patriotic citizens (for example) and the number is a bit off from the estimate on your financial options page last turn. Therefore, you simply can't spend your final dollar, because it is unlikely to be raised.

My guess is that there is a slight difference in the execution of multiple financial and political options: vps change a bit, NM changes a bit, the order of execution may matter, and in the end, you are off several thousand dollars. Likewise, your normal production is affected by local morale, NM and even weather in the winter (when northern ports are iced in).

If you think about it, we are actually really lucky that we can "buy" the units on the turn we raise the funds: the lines of credit required to execute that in real time are not terribly realistic, especially given the physical distances involved. My guess is that real quartermasters had a devil of a time sourcing the materiel needed to outfit multiple brigades on short notice. I am surprised we are not required to provide hard "cash on the barrel head" before raising large units.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:06 am

good summary, and being 100% predictive would be hellish to do right. My rule of thumb, when I play AACW is to leave 10% of my initial balance in all assets, just in case.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Captain_Orso

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:11 pm

That's certainly a good tip I'll follow. The problem was a bad installation. http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=161055&postcount=53

Big Ideas
Captain

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:17 am

In the states where both players can recruit from the same force pool there can be a chance that you won't get everything you ordered. In Missouri and Kentucky both players can recruit from here. If one player buys some of the arty on the same time as the other- I think one person will miss out. (Or maybe both will get lee than they have ordered.)

Pocus

Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 am

No, actually the force pool are always defined by nation.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”