Continue AACW support
82%
Freeze AACW support
18%

Total votes: 117
simovitch
Corporal

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Coming back to AACW after several months I'm experiencing several nice improvements; in both graphics and game mechanics.

What is sorely needed is for the documentation to be updated. I would have no objection to halting support of the software to concentrate on updating the documention, quick reference, and wiki. Otherwise the improvements are feeling a bit "artificial"

Gray_Lensman

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:55 pm

deleted

merlin55
Conscript

Many thanks!

Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:13 am

Hohenlohe wrote:That you will borrow us your time for a better support is welcome and very nice, thank you Gray_Lensmen.

greetings

Hohenlohe

As a new player/Forum reader, I also thank you and everyone involved in making this a great, and well supported, game. I can't imagine that anyone would be willing to donate 3000+ hours of work into a volunteer job. That is an incredible gift to all of us.

It will take me days to go through all of the Forum material, but I look forward to learning all of the tidbits on knowledge that you all have collected.

Merlin

TheDoctorKing

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:16 am

+1

I very much appreciate all the work you Grey have done along with all the other beta team members. I look forward to the new patches with great anticipation.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Muddy

Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:17 pm

I have to be honest and admit I voted to stop support. But after playing 1.14 61' full campaign w/ken, I have changed my mind. A great effort by all, and I look forward to continued support. :coeurs:

Chamberlain
Captain

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:03 pm

Yes, I would like to see continued support also !!!

Chamberlain

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:04 pm

Now, as per usual I'll go right in with my size 13's hob nail boots. Are there really only around 100 players in both the new and old worlds these days that are really interested? OK so the game is two years old and perhaps for any game to have 100+ committed devotees after this length of time is commendable but are we really so few?

From an economic standpoint it cannot possibly be viable for AGEOD to put any further resources into the game. Mind you there's more than economics :coeurs:

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:48 pm

soundoff wrote:Now, as per usual I'll go right in with my size 13's hob nail boots. Are there really only around 100 players in both the new and old worlds these days that are really interested? OK so the game is two years old and perhaps for any game to have 100+ committed devotees after this length of time is commendable but are we really so few?

From an economic standpoint it cannot possibly be viable for AGEOD to put any further resources into the game. Mind you there's more than economics :coeurs:

Remember, every vote speaks for 10 silent votes or something. :)

I love the continued support, but also wouldn't mind the resources put into AACW2!
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

TheDoctorKing

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:30 pm

You know, Soundoff's got a point: how many people are actually being served by this game? Does anybody in AGEOD have an idea of how many active players there are? How many downloads of the 1.14 patch have there been, for example? Enquiring minds want to know. If there isn't much of a market left, I'd argue for leaving the game to the modding community and going on to newer projects that will make money and create new fans for the company. Even though I voted originally for continuing support.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Franciscus

Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:57 am

The only "economical" reason to keep AACW support could be a matter of reputation and fidelization. The excellent support that AACW has and is still receiving gave AGEOD a fine reputation, and at least part of this core group of satisfied costumers are expected not also to buy the next games on the line but also spread a little the "good word". Besides, now, AGEOD's core personnel seems to spend only a minimum of time in AACW support, because they (and us) were fortunate to have Gray, that was and is willing to keep working for free in improving this stellar game. :coeurs:

Of course most companies by now would have stopped AACW official support and concentrate for example in AACW2 - I am fairly certain that this core group of fans will surely buy it and also lots of new players - and this would be also a good thing, IMHO.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:16 am

deleted

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:57 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:There is a misperception here I wish to clear up.

<snip>

Thinking that an AACW2 is being prevented by a misdirection of resources to AACW1 is pure fiction and if the support for AACW1 were stopped today, you wouldn't see AACW2 any sooner.

You should all look at this in a different way. All data corrections in this version of AACW will almost assuredly be ported over to AACW2 when/if "official" AGEod decides to activate such a project. So in reality, continued support on this version of the AACW game shortens the research development that will be necessary for AACW2 and would allow them to concentrate more on NEW features to make it a worthwhile successor to AACW1

Put this way what player (the odd Modder accepted for obvious reasons) would vote for a freeze? I think Gray your original post could have been a 'tad' more explicit. :)

On a personal level as far as AACW1 goes I must admit to being fairly ambivalent regarding further development. Thats simply because I've reached that stage in gameplay where the deficiences within the programme are beginning to outweigh the joy of playing. Furthermore what I perceive to be deficiencies are, I suspect, only correctable within the framework of an AACW2.

These include, in no particular order, a satisfactory naval system. Meaningful battle reports. A decent raid doctrine/method. An overhaul of the conditions relating to MTSG. Lines of retreat and zones of control. A direct link mode of play. A securer PBEM method. Tighter draft, volunteer and economic options. Not asking for much really am I :love:

I do wish to stress thats just where I, as an individual am at. This game has provided me with enormous pleasure over more than a year now consequently I have no cause to grumble. So for what its worth 'all power to your elbow Gray if you continue to make DB changes that eventually find there way into an AACW2 should there ever be one'

Cato Uticensis
Conscript

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:08 am

Please let the modders take hold. After all the fabulous major (neccessary) updates, the rest of the problems could be solved by modders. We need a AACW2! Better yet! We need you in the upcoming game.

MrT
Colonel

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:11 am

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=152277&postcount=41

Did you read the thread before you posted Cato Uticensis? If not take a look there ;) .

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:55 am

deleted

Big Ideas
Captain

Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:49 am

I'm still playing both 1.13b and 1.14- but I didn't vote because even though I enjoy all of the fantastic improvements that Gray and the volunteers have made and continue to make- I didn't want to sign another name to their continued work on things that I can't do. Obviously my experience of the game is far less than most/some here, but I have run into some of the problems listed above- though no game has been killed by them.

BI

kglorberau
Corporal

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:58 am

I vote for continued support. Besides, Gray is the best out there and not only fixes and tweaks the game, but has lots of good info as well. Keep up the good work Gray...we need you!!

KgLorberau

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:30 pm

I voted for continued support! Have not visited forums for a while but I am still playing the game. Especially the Historical accuracy mod against my old adversary my nephew. It is also keeping him busy and out of trouble since the credit crunch has caught up with him aswell now.

Now a another new patch - great work folks.

Oh and I hope everyone is doing okay in life!
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

akk70
Conscript

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:32 pm

Support has been GREAT hope it continues.

bigus
General

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:32 am

I voted to freeze support.

One reason is because it seems to be causing problems when you folks try to upgrade AACW to the new engine.

Another reason was 21 (count them ......21) Release candidate beta's.
Now I'm reading this patch has bugs after all this!

IMHO freeze support move on to making the engine work the way you want it and then release AACW2.

I'd still like to see one more patch to address all the bugs in the current 1.14 patch and then Modders can continue support in a non official Mod.

I'd hate to see the game go out unfinished.

Gray_Lensman

Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:26 am

deleted

bigus
General

Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:49 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Sorry, it's already decided by the majority of gamers (close to 5 to 1 in favor), that support will continue. It might interest you to know however that database support has been suspended until all the current game engine flaws are corrected. It's a waste of the beta team's time to proceed with database corrections with such a flawed game engine.

I'm the 1 in the 5:1. I think future data base changes should be included into AACW2 but as AACW1 and tested in AACW1. You want your changes included into the "Official" Patch then it has to be tested to work. I don't think thats the case here is it?

Gray_Lensman wrote:Also, AACW2 has not even been started being developed yet, so it's pretty far off from being released.

Yes I know.

Gray_Lensman wrote:And yes, I think we can all count to 21, but the number of release candidates doesn't matter nearly so much as the final "official" patch being flawed. :(

It does'nt matter this is the patch. This is without a doubt, the worst patch to come out since I've been playing the game. I'm not kidding here.

Gray_Lensman

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:02 am

deleted

bigus
General

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:30 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:For myself, I'm actually enjoying the time off reading and messing around with other Civil War games, including Tiller's games, Sid Meier's Civil War Collection games, and soon Take Command 2nd Manassas (watching the mail box for that one next week some time).

Second Manassas?
Check out Gettysburg. Multi player option for this version.

http://w3dgb.norbsoftware.com/

Gray_Lensman

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:37 am

deleted

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:26 pm

Get Busy on the Cute li'l unis for RoP! Who is wasting their time on such nonsense? t

gchristie
Brigadier General

fun game, but...

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:For myself, I'm actually enjoying the time off reading and messing around with other Civil War games, including Tiller's games, Sid Meier's Civil War Collection games, and soon Take Command 2nd Manassas (watching the mail box for that one next week some time).

Alternating between AACW and Take Command 2 is great fun, helps me get my strategic level and tactical level fixes. The battles can be suspenseful and eerie, with brigades sometimes materializing almost out of thin air on your flank or to the rear. And the confusion level recreates in a small way what commanders had to deal with. I do find the artillery in TC2 quite vexing though.

Hope you enjoy it while taking some well earned time off.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

ETF

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:48 am

Benihana wrote:I'd rather see more effort on new titles. I think we're all hoping AACW2 is somewhere on the horizon, the sooner it gets here the better.

Yes MOVE on to AACW2. Lets face it is your best platform.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”