pakfront
Corporal

AACW Printable Overview Map

Thu May 21, 2009 1:42 am

Here is a work-in-progress of an overview map for AACW. It is procedurally generated from the .rgn and .scn files in the GameData folder using a free language called Processing http://processing.org/.
I plan on releasing the code for general usage and modification as soon as I tighten some bits and pieces up.
Anyway, since it is procedurally generated from the .rgn and .scn files, it is easy to keep it up to date with the latest patch. Currently it is for patch 1.13b.
let me know if you think it is useful. I can make some minor modifications based on suggestions.
Below is a small version. A larger verision (1600pixels across) is also attachedinside a .zip file.

Attachments
worldmap.zip
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 372 times
worldmap_sm.jpg

Gray_Lensman

Thu May 21, 2009 3:22 am

deleted

Rafiki

Fri May 22, 2009 8:41 am

Nice work, pakfront :thumbsup:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

kwhitehead
Sergeant

Fri May 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Nice job on map.

Since the main use I put this type of map too is showing strategic movements in AAR's or instructional write ups for the game, I prefer the "large" file then use Photoshop to add my stuff and shrink it down to a manageable size.

For the above purpose the main thing I would like to see added to the image is the state bondaries. This helps orient the people looking at the map. Preferrably in something that makes them stand out like red lines although any high contrast color will do. And, it is nice to reserve red and blue for drawing CSA and USA movements.

pakfront
Corporal

Fri May 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks for taking a look. Good suggestions, and quite doable. If anyone has printed it, i'm be interested in how that worked out for you.

kwhitehead
Sergeant

Fri May 22, 2009 10:10 pm

Speaking of printing, it is always better to lighten up the dark colors. The lighter the better for printing since it won't use up so much ink and it makes anything added to the map show up better as dark on light. All that is needed is a shade or two difference on those greens and blues so you can see the difference.

WhoCares
Lieutenant

Sat May 23, 2009 12:45 pm

Another addition might be a little legend to know the terrain represented by the different colours :sherlock:

mikee64
Brigadier General

Sun May 24, 2009 1:50 am

I like the map pakfront, thanks! It printed fine for me. I do agree with the comment above that it would be easier on the print cartridge and future mods if you made the marsh and forest slightly lighter colors.

But good job, first thing like this I've actually printed and put up next to my monitor!
Mike

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”