husky1943
Sergeant

Hey, does anyone else recognize their home town/county on the map?

Wed May 13, 2009 6:51 pm

It happened awhile ago, and I forgot to mention it. I thought it was worth relating........SO COOL

I recently restarted a game because Athena had once again done something so diabolical and effective that I had to quit the game in frustration. After some light swearing (my family laughs at me for that), I restarted the game (always as the North) and Dallas, Texas became an objective. I'm from Texas, and I decided to keep control of Dallas at all costs. I'll be darned, I looked around the area and saw Athens, Texas. I graduated high school from Athens, Texas. AND, if I remember correctly, the game depicted Athens "in hills" (which is completely accurate)!! I have never seen anything like that in a computer game before. Outstanding!!! Actually, I'm from Ben Wheeler, Texas (Van Zandt County), but I didn't see that one. Heck, Ben Wheeler is so small (population 72, when I left) it doesn't even show up on Texas State maps, much less a computer game.

Anyway, I really thought that was neat. Thanks for that touch.

In conclusion, I forgot about the rest of the country and concentrated on holding Texas. It was disaster and I lost. :blink:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ciao for now
Rob

cleveland
Corporal

Wed May 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Cleveland is on there- I've been playing as the south and was toying with the idea of a deep raid. Pay myself a visit as it were.

Rafiki

Wed May 13, 2009 9:33 pm

My home isn't even in one of the off-map boxes :blink:

Makes me kinda envious, actually, but it keeps me from temptation like you guys are succumbing to ;)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 13, 2009 10:07 pm

deleted

arsan

Wed May 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Mine's is in! :thumbsup:
But on the NCP map, not on AACW ;)

Colonel Dreux
Major

Thu May 14, 2009 4:11 am

Yeah, I'm from around the Port Hudson area. Live in Texas now though.
Oh my God, lay me down!

boboneilltexas
Corporal

Home Town

Thu May 14, 2009 4:12 am

Well, I'm from New Orleans and that's there.
For one grandsire stood with Henry,
On Hanover's Sacred sod,
And the other followed "Harry"
In the Light Horse' foremost squad.
And my grandsires stood together
When the foe at Yorktown fell;
"Stock" like this, against oppression
Could do naught else but REBEL.

Jeff Thompson - Brig Gen. Missouri

cmdrsam
Corporal

Thu May 14, 2009 5:03 am

Peoria IL is represented.

husky1943
Sergeant

Thu May 14, 2009 5:46 pm

Well, as a nod to my European brothers, I shall have to rename one of my units the "Wiking Azul" Division. That ought to confuse those Johnnies!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ciao for now

Rob

gekkoguy82
Major

Fri May 15, 2009 5:14 am

My birth place is just barely off the map in central michigan, but most of the towns/cities I lived in and went to school in (SE Michigan) are well represented. I always make sure to have a few powerful Michigan divisions when I play as the north :) I've always got to make sure they stay separated from those Ohio troops :neener:

As an American it is pretty neat to have a very real connection to the locations on the map, much as the European fellows feel about the NCP maps, I'm sure. For example, I could go hang out at Leonidas Polk's boyhood home tomorrow if I felt the need to, as it is just 10 minutes up the road from me. History = Awesome :thumbsup:

husky1943
Sergeant

Fri May 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Howdy gekkoguy82,
I know exactly what you mean. I can look out my work window and literally see Ft. Pickens. Really neat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ciao for now

Rob

Sol Invictus

Fri May 15, 2009 2:53 pm

I can drive by John Hunt Morgan's home within ten minutes. It is said to be haunted to this day. :eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

gekkoguy82
Major

Fri May 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Sol Invictus wrote:I can drive by John Hunt Morgan's home within ten minutes. It is said to be haunted to this day. :eek:

on a lame tangent, he escaped the ohio pen on my birthday, many moons earlier tho, obviously :wacko:

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Fri May 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Used to live in Elizabeth City, NC. It's swampy, just like the map shows. A few miles south is Edenton. Very first slave ship landed there; at least that's what the historical marker says.

Aleatory
Civilian

Sat May 16, 2009 3:54 am

My town made the map, though it probably wouldn't on most civil war maps. Laramie, Wyoming baby!

On a side note, two days ago I downloaded the demo and now I'm a proud owner of the game (would have bought faster if I didn't have to wait til payday...).

So anyways, salutations all around. I'm stoked to get some long campaigns running.

Chamberlain
Captain

Sat May 16, 2009 12:34 pm

Peekskill, NY in the Hudson Valley area is there..

So close to West Point !

Chamberlain

jhnbaker41
Conscript

Sun May 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Although Booneville Mississippi where I actually live is not there, Corinth Mississippi is and we live just a few miles from Corinth and my wife works there! :D

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sun May 17, 2009 4:40 pm

I'm from Carter County Kentucky. On the map, it straddles the little sandy river in between Boyd, Mason, and Morgan counties and is about 20 miles from Ashland. I live in Lexington now and let's just say the Union doesn't spend much time there in my games. ;)

This brings up a small gripe I have with the map though. Ashland is in Kentucky, not Ohio. Don't know if this is a mistake or a way to spread the cities out a little bit more. We usually take offense 'round here when someone accuses us of being a darn Ohio Yankee. :cool:

Gray_Lensman

Sun May 17, 2009 11:19 pm

deleted

RELee
Lieutenant

Mon May 18, 2009 8:17 pm

I currently live about, oh, I guess about 10 minutes from Stones River Battlefield. So, yeah, I can get distracted at times. :D

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon May 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Well, Baltimore shouldn't be too hard to find on the map right? ;)

Gray_Lensman

Mon May 18, 2009 10:01 pm

deleted

gekkoguy82
Major

Mon May 18, 2009 11:34 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Is there actually a battlefield there? Lots of battlefields have been urbanized... I'm planning on swinging thru and seeing Stones River on a vacation trip in a couple of weeks, but I wasn't sure if there really was anything left there.

Yep, there is, small but there. Visitor center and all...I'm not certain, re lee can confirm this, but I think there are portions of Fortress Rosecrans still around Murfreesboro too...vague remnants of the earthworks

marvingardns
Conscript

Tue May 19, 2009 1:11 am

I grew up in Athens, dated a girl in Decatur and now live in Huntsville... all three are on the map, but only Decatur is an actual structure.

Twelve miles away is Belle Mina, home of Alabama's first governor and once a venue which entertained both A.S. Johnston and P.G.T. Beauregard. Fifteen miles away was where the Mad Russian Col. Turchinoff turned his Yankee regiment loose on the town and burnt Athens to the ground ("I close my eyes for one hour..."). It was the first Southern town to be sacked in the so-called "Rape of Athens."

Athens was also at the center of N.B. Forrest's '64 raid up the L&N Railroad. He forced two Yankee forts to surrender in both Athens and Sulpher Creek Trussel (midway b/w Pulaski and Athens) before beating a retreat back across the river. Decatur itself saw some limited action when J.B. Hood's Army of Tennessee crossed the river to the west of the town. He demonstrated against Decatur but crossed some twenty miles west near Tuscumbia.

Huntsville was occupied by the Yanks for a good part of the war. Being a 'mountain' town, Huntsville had a large percentage of the population vote against secession. Huntsville itself raised two companies of unionist cavalry and hosted both Ord and Sherman at a home just six blocks from my house. Ironically, J.H. Morgan was born at a house just a few homes down from where Sherman stayed (contrary to popular belief, Morgan was actually born in Alabama).

slimey.rock
Major

Tue May 19, 2009 1:59 am

I live next to Carrollton, AR. It's not considered a town anymore, more of a community. As far as I know, there wasn't much action around here, Pea Ridge being the closest, but apparently there were two Union soldiers burried on my land. Of course, I've never seen any evidence of this.

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Tue May 19, 2009 4:58 am

Mine is on the AACW map. I am in region 610. :D
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

RELee
Lieutenant

Tue May 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Is there actually a battlefield there? Lots of battlefields have been urbanized... I'm planning on swinging thru and seeing Stones River on a vacation trip in a couple of weeks, but I wasn't sure if there really was anything left there.

Battlefield is still there, as is the cemetery. The visitor center is across the street from the cemetery, and it's lucky to still be there. A set of four tornadoes ripped through Murfreesboro on Good Friday and one missed the visitor's center by a couple of hundred yards. But you have to get off the main drag, because the battlefield is on the Old Nashville Pike road, which I still use to get from Smyrna to Murfreesboro when I go see my mother, instead of that new-fangled 4 lane abomination that most people use. ;)

On down the Pike a ways into Murfreesboro, you can indeed visit Rosecran's Redoubt. There are several locations around the area with signs commemorating various aspects of the battle. I just can't remember them all. If you take Lebanon highway to the north you'll come across a sign for Wheeler's Raid, and there is another one in front of the La Vergne City Hall on that new fangled Murfreesboro Road/Nashville Highway (HWY 41) that mentions something or other. I've forgotten what it's about.

I've never stopped at the visitor center at the Battlefield. I have seen the recreation of the battle though. Lots of smoke and noise. But I expect that perhaps they might have a map of the area showing you where to locate the various parts of the battle around the area.

If you like, you can visit this site for a Virtual Tour of the Stones River Battlefield just to get an idea of what to expect. You may not get to travel all the paths due to the tornado damage, unless they get them reopened before you get here. Quite a few trees were uprooted. I dare say some of them actually witnessed the fighting back in the day, as some of them were quite large.

Redeemer
Major

Tue May 19, 2009 5:50 pm

I even get a lvl 1 city! Bellefonte, PA, which surpised the heck out of me considering the actual size of Bellefonte, it is now surrounded by towns of much bigger size.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Tue May 19, 2009 10:50 pm

RELee wrote:On down the Pike a ways into Murfreesboro,

This is where my uncle lives. Some 40-odd years ago, he found some bullets on the battlefield and gave one to me. Still have it somewhere.

TheDoctorKing

Fri May 22, 2009 11:21 pm

I'm from Page, Virginia. Just between Front Royal and Shennandoah. We go to the food store in Front Royal if we want more than the local Food Lion can provide, and if we have a hankerin' to go to a mall we have to go to Harrisonburg. If we go that way we drive past three of Stonewall Jackson's battlefields. Otherwise, we go down to the "flatlands" at Manassas, which everybody can find...
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”