Mickey3D

Stealth technology in ACW ?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:37 am

In a PBEM, my opponent put gunboats along the Ohio river to prevent any crossing by my troops.

The issue is that I can't see the boats even if my cavalry is sitting next to the river segment :-(

Is it by design or a bug ?

Note : game version is 1.13b quickfix 9a

Redeemer
Major

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:18 pm

They went around the bend to hide until you try to cross and them come back to frustrate your designs to raid my happy citizens! :mdr:

Gray_Lensman

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:44 pm

deleted

Jim-NC

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:12 pm

Calvary does not have a good "detect sea/river" value. You need artillery to see ships (they have a good detect value against sea/river).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:33 pm

That's strange because river gives +2 penalty to hide if I'm not mistaken. I can understand there is a problem if you are prevented from crossing because of ships, but your turn does not show them.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Mickey3D

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:27 am

Pocus wrote:That's strange because river gives +2 penalty to hide if I'm not mistaken. I can understand there is a problem if you are prevented from crossing because of ships, but your turn does not show them.

Here is my .trn file.

Look at messages 5 and 19 stating that cavalry can't cross the river due to ennemy fire.
Attachments
M3D vs Redeemer~CSA.zip
(94.28 KiB) Downloaded 209 times

Pocus

Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:06 pm

I think I understand, but this would need the confirmation from the other side. If the gunboat is passing by when your cavalry is crossing, then it will halt its movement, but then as it moves away, you don't see it anymore. do you see a gunboat during replay btw?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Mickey3D

Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Pocus wrote:I think I understand, but this would need the confirmation from the other side. If the gunboat is passing by when your cavalry is crossing, then it will halt its movement, but then as it moves away, you don't see it anymore. do you see a gunboat during replay btw?

Replay crashes the game :(

Moreover, I try several turns to cross the river with the same result and I don't think my opponent is making movement up and down the river :blink:

Redeemer, could you confirm to Pocus that you gunboats were static on the Ohio river ?

Redeemer
Major

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:52 pm

The gunboats were stationary. Files attached
Attachments
M3D vs Redeemer.rar
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 235 times

Jim-NC

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:14 am

Mickey3D,
If you look carefully, your detection rating for the river zone next to your calvary is 4/1 (4 for land units, and 1 for sea/river units). Reedemer's gunboats must have a hide value of 2 or more. If you want to see how this works in your saved game, look at A. Foote's command at reelfoot lake. You have a detection rating of 4/3 (from Island # 10). A. Foote's command has a hide value of only 2. You can see his ships. From my earlier post, Calvary has a detection value of 2 for ships (-1 per area away, gives them a sea/river value of 1 in a river next to them). The Island # 10 batteries have a detection of 4 (-1 for each river area away means reelfoot lake has a detection value of 3).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mickey3D

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Jim-NC wrote:Mickey3D,
If you look carefully, your detection rating for the river zone next to your calvary is 4/1 (4 for land units, and 1 for sea/river units). Reedemer's gunboats must have a hide value of 2 or more. If you want to see how this works in your saved game, look at A. Foote's command at reelfoot lake. You have a detection rating of 4/3 (from Island # 10). A. Foote's command has a hide value of only 2. You can see his ships. From my earlier post, Calvary has a detection value of 2 for ships (-1 per area away, gives them a sea/river value of 1 in a river next to them). The Island # 10 batteries have a detection of 4 (-1 for each river area away means reelfoot lake has a detection value of 3).

Thanks for the insight.

Indeed this turn I was able to see the infamous ;) Redeemer's gunboats. Does it mean that my detection value increase with the time or is there a random part in detection ?

Jim-NC

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Mickey3D wrote:Thanks for the insight.

Indeed this turn I was able to see the infamous ;) Redeemer's gunboats. Does it mean that my detection value increase with the time or is there a random part in detection ?

Could be either. Check the river section for detection. If it is still showing 4/1 (next to your calvary), then his ships hide value has changed. Could be that he has added ships to his fleet - lowering his hide value, or added something else (like a land unit). If the value is now 4/2, then your detection value has gone up. Without seeing your game, I can not answer more definatively.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Thu May 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi,

I checked the saved game, there is no bug per se. The gunboat final hide value is 2 and the detection of cav in the river is down to 1... The code is ok for me, but Michael (Gray_Lensman) the AACW coordinator and me agreed we should raise the nav detection of land units to prevent this trouble. So expect an update in the next patch on that, and the problem will be solved.

mikee64
Brigadier General

Fri May 08, 2009 2:38 am

I like this upcoming change - thanks guys!

If you think about the scale of the game and the role of cavalry pickets/scouts (I'm thinking 1 or 2 man detachments here), these should be able to detect and report about gunboats guarding a river crossing or section of river easily.
Mike

Gray_Lensman

Fri May 08, 2009 5:30 am

deleted

Jabberwock

Tue May 12, 2009 4:34 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:hehe :D

You mean I should find actual jobs for 2-1-1 one-stars? Sigh, grumble.

Gray_Lensman wrote:(ahead of time)

Not.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Gray_Lensman

Tue May 12, 2009 6:31 pm

deleted

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”