cptcav
Lieutenant

Marching to the Sound of Guns

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:55 am

Will a formation in defensive posture march to the sound of guns?

For example, if I have an army with corps (defensive posture) in three adjoining areas (three corps total, one in each area) and the enemy attacks one of them, will the other two corps have a chance to march to the sound of the guns and, thus, reinforce the battle?

Regards,
CptCav

Le Ricain

Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:24 am

cptcav wrote:Will a formation in defensive posture march to the sound of guns?

For example, if I have an army with corps (defensive posture) in three adjoining areas (three corps total, one in each area) and the enemy attacks one of them, will the other two corps have a chance to march to the sound of the guns and, thus, reinforce the battle?

Regards,
CptCav

Yes, the corps or army that are in adjacent area to the attacked area will have a chance to match to 'the sound of the guns'. Only corps that are in a passive posture will not be able to respond. Defensive or offensive (orange) will work. I understand that orange will work better than defensive.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

dragoon47
Private

Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:25 am

I forgot, do they do that when they're unactivated? Also, it would be in my best interest to concentrate my forces in two or less counties in order to have the entire army converge on a single point of attack right, as they can't move two counties to support a corp?

Big Ideas
Captain

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:15 am

from the AACWWikki:

and yes unactivated corps and armies can march to the sound of guns.
I guess they fight with the command penalties and of course can only be on defensive.
Attachments
march.PNG

Le Ricain

Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:06 am

dragoon47 wrote:I forgot, do they do that when they're unactivated? Also, it would be in my best interest to concentrate my forces in two or less counties in order to have the entire army converge on a single point of attack right, as they can't move two counties to support a corp?

I tend to operate on a three county front with the army stack in the middle. The army is more reactive than the corps when it comes to marching to the sound of the guns. The army supports either of its flanking corps and has a chance of support from these same corps if it is attacked.

Inactive generals can march to the sound of the guns. I assume that they participate at their reduced rankings.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Gresbeck
Sergeant

Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:53 am

Le Ricain wrote:I understand that orange will work better than defensive.

IIRC an old patch made the offensive posture increase the chances of marching to the sound of guns. Am I wrong?

Gray_Lensman

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:05 am

deleted

Major Tom
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Gresbeck was right about the gist of the matter: a corps or army in offensive posture is more likely than one in defensive posture ot march to the sound of the guns. WHether that's because of a bonus to offensive posture or a penalty to defensive doesn't make any practical difference.

Thanks for pointing it out, Gresbeck (and Gray for quantifying the effect of posture).
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”