Ehich side do you prefer?

Union
42%
Confederates
58%

Total votes: 318
Kriegsspieler

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:19 pm

I enjoy playing the Union side because I enjoy the significant management problem it entails. There's a lot to attend to!

RangerBooBoo
Private

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:50 pm

I play the Union because I grew up in Illinois even though I live in Texas now. If you go to the database of those who served in the ACW you will find Nelms who fought for both sides though there were a lot more that fought for the Confederacy. Even saw mention of a CSS Nelms gunboat somewhere one time.

Big Muddy

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:30 pm

I play north, born and still live in Chicago, although I had several relatives fight for the South. Moms side came from Ireland to W. Virginia, still have many relatrives down south especially N. Carolina.

My GG grandfather, William Ross Carroll served in the cavalry and was wounded at Gettyesburg.

I have of apicture of him and he has a cap with ELA on it, Eliss Light Artillery. I don't know if it's a friends of his or if they gave the Arty protection? Also wounded at "Gettesburg Da Guerratypes", I don't know if it's mispelled and supposed to be Gettysburg, does anyone know what/where Du Guerratypes?

StarMan99
Private

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:26 am

Well,

I was born on the North side of Chicago, Illinois, so it's pretty much of a no-brainer which side I would normally align with.

However, I greatly appreciate the free spirit of the Confederacy, and if I ever learn the game well enough, I will make the North eat Southern Steel!

:D

Because, really, it's all good. AACW has ultimate depth and replayability.

That's what it's all about.

TheDoctorKing

The North, but it's only a game

Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:06 am

When playing a game I generally don't consider the cause the historical combatants fought for. I've even been known to play the SS in WWII games! I had ancestors who fought on both sides and at least one who was a pure bandit without politics at all (the mountains of Virginia were a very confused area...) The North's cause was just, no doubt, to our modern eyes though some folks at the time saw things differently. But I'm playing a game not choosing up sides in the actual struggle. Thank God!

I prefer the USA because I generally like to hold the initiative, especially when playing against the AI. I assume that AI's do better jobs defending than attacking because they have fewer hard decisions to make. I'm playing the SVF mod right now, and it doesn't have an AI for the US. If I were to play a game against a human opponent I might choose the CSA, especially against someone who had plenty of experience in the game.

Barker
Major

Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:37 am

I play the JTCS Campaign Series and I go for the Geermans. hey are destined to lose but I force them to win....lol

RELee
Lieutenant

Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 pm

I like playing the Confederacy because I tend to be on the side of the underdog, and because I had relatives who fought for the South, and, well, yeah, there is that online name thing I got going. :cool:

Guz
Private

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:33 am

Couldn't pick a side. Need that third option "both"!

javelina1
Conscript

Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:18 am

I prefer Union. (maybe being born in a Northern state has something to do with it). :D Though I have family members from down South, that did fight with the CSA. (On my Mom's side).

So far have only played from the Union. But will pickup the Southern cause at some point, as I like to play the "what if's" too.

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Guz wrote:Couldn't pick a side. Need that third option "both"!

How about an option that assumes foreign intervention where you only play the British and French?

D_K
Sergeant

Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:35 am

soundoff wrote:Nope....but then as a Brit we have never taken our causes or victories that seriously in terms of celebrating them. I've always suspected its something to do with letting that French interloper overrun us in 1066. Tends to put your (British) history into perspective. ;)

from what i understand of history, the saxons were not originally from england either.....they were from northern germany/denmark. will the REAL english people please stand up!!!

LOL ...just kidding....joke joke :w00t:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Sigel did fight well at Elkhorn Tavern under Sam Curtis. t

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:05 pm

For me it's the Confederates, because it's a mans right to defend his property lol no of course because it's more challenging.

Captain
Captain

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:25 am

From a game perspective I agree with Daxil in that regularly changing sides keeps everything fresh and the brain working in good order not getting stuck into patterns.

'Soundoff' the ACW is one of the great dividing moments in world history, of course everyone has a personal interest as to sides it is only human. Civil wars do that.
Being a Brit I think one can see the obvious similarites between ACW and the english CivilWar. The south and the Kings Army both had aristocracies of a type, Cavaliers, better horseman and dash and flair.Both the king and the South wanted foreign intervention.In both cases the Union and parliament represented the majority of the populace and were armies poorly led that went thru major restructuring. In the end the numbers won in both counts.

From a personal view whilst I admire southern military talent and its dash and flair the fundamental issues of Union and to a lesser extent (at the time) slavery are unreconcilable.

Whether it be USSR(this one I have had extensive personal experience of), Yugoslavia, etc succession it painful for both sides at best.

So yes it may only be a game but people do have personal favourites based on numerous reasons, and some of us do just like to role play.

As a final note I have some relations from the Spanish Civil war. They are a married couple during the civil war, she was a devout supporter of Franco. He was a spy for the republic and yet they have stayed married together for a lifetime. The husband's best friend was in the Spanish Blue Divison and yet their political views were irreconciliable.

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:37 pm

Confederacy, for the challenge and because they had a pretty decent point (let us set our own economic policy).
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Ethy
Sergeant

Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:27 am

i have to admit when i first started playing the game i liked playing with the union, however as my knowledge and experience of the game has grown i must say my preference has now switched to the confederacy.

the union although more to manage in the way of units has little to worry about its economic management and a beginer would certainly find it easier to play with the union.

the confederacy however has tough choices throughout the game to consider and a player really has to think more about his turn.

Aphrodite Mae

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Why do I prefer playing the South...?
Soundoff, you're going to make fun of me, but I do play the South because of a romantic idealization of antebellum gentility, bravery, and all that stuff. Whether it's true, or only partly true, or just a myth that we have come to believe, we Southerners spend our childhood hearing of the good parts of our tradition. I grew up wanting to be a Southern Belle: a gracious, cultured, and elegant woman who was the embodiment of femininity, and able to inspire men with barely a glance and a smile. That's why I prefer to play the South: plain old fashioned romantic idealism!

Havely :)

squarian
Brigadier General

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:44 pm

I play the Confederacy because, as a northerner, I wish they had won.

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:33 pm

I have been an officer in the Union army in the American Civil War Gaming Club for more than seven years. Wearing the blue coat comes natural to me. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Captain
Captain

Sam Peckinpah

Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:23 am

Perhaps the best succinct display of the morale complexities of the Civil War war done in the film "Major Dundee".

The scene around the campfire and the conversation afterwards when Richard Harris gallantly and honestly apologisers for the behaviour of his men and Heston (Dundee) quite simply states, "that's what its all about".

History is full of moral men who fought and dies for immoral causes and moral causes that were supported by immoral men !

Sheytan
Lieutenant

Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:17 pm

Grouchy wrote:The south, for the same reason why i prefer the Japanese in WITP. They are outnumbered, outproduced and outgunned.

But...the Japanese in WITP have radar guided BVH torpedo bombers that never miss, and can fling them half the length of the map! Hopefully Admirals edition will correct some of the rather glaring problems in WITP.

I play both sides, each presents its own set of challenges.

Ayeshteni
Captain

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:12 pm

Union.

I would like to play the Rebs, but I am not good enough for the Union AI (yes I know :crying :)

So I play the Union.

Ayeshteni

Prussian Prince
Captain

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:07 pm

South because it is more of a challenge to play.
Player of many Ageod Games : AACW, ROP, BOA2 and PON!

Beta Tester for EU2 and HOI3:thumbsup:

Big Ideas
Captain

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:13 am

Hi all

I've been playing the CSA -v- AI as training for a PBEM game. I use some house rules to stop me taking advantage of some of the AI's moves.

Jarkko
Colonel

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:52 am

So far I have played more south, but I believe I'll swing over to Union soon.

The reason: Despite what people here claim, I think South is easier for the ultimate-newbie. Less things to move around, don't have to think about navy that much, the leaders usually do what I actually want them to do. Sure, you run out of money/resources all the time, and there just seems to be *lots* of Union troops every where.

With Union I have so far got all messed up with all the possibilities it has. I have loads of money and resources, what should I invest them in? The damn leaders won't do anything I want them to do, so I have to plan things based on that. What about the navies? I have a crapton of ships, and I don't know at all what I am supposed to do with them...

I think I'll challenge Ayeshteni to an e-mail game... :p
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:27 am

That's actually a good point...

Ayeshteni
Captain

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Jarkko wrote:So far I have played more south, but I believe I'll swing over to Union soon.

The reason: Despite what people here claim, I think South is easier for the ultimate-newbie. Less things to move around, don't have to think about navy that much, the leaders usually do what I actually want them to do. Sure, you run out of money/resources all the time, and there just seems to be *lots* of Union troops every where.

With Union I have so far got all messed up with all the possibilities it has. I have loads of money and resources, what should I invest them in? The damn leaders won't do anything I want them to do, so I have to plan things based on that. What about the navies? I have a crapton of ships, and I don't know at all what I am supposed to do with them...

I think I'll challenge Ayeshteni to an e-mail game... :p

An interesting challenge my Finnish friend. I may just take you up on that. Might be interesting to see how two newbie players make a mess of both the North and the South. :D

Aye.

Jarkko
Colonel

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Ayeshteni wrote:Might be interesting to see how two newbie players make a mess of both the North and the South. :D

That would be very much like real history then, I guess :wacko:
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Of course, you know the Japs don't have radar guided anything!!!? Might have made a real difference i.e. spotting American carrier aircraft during the Battle of Midway. t

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Jarkko wrote:With Union I have so far got all messed up with all the possibilities it has. I have loads of money and resources, what should I invest them in? The damn leaders won't do anything I want them to do, so I have to plan things based on that. What about the navies? I have a crapton of ships, and I don't know at all what I am supposed to do with them...

I know how you feel ... I do! :cool:

Still, the point is to learn to ask not "what to do with all those things" but rather "what do I want to do" ("what do I want to achieve in the war"), and "how will I do it" and then gather the resources you need to implement that strategy (men, ships, money, material). If they're there, use them. If they aren't, build them. And those that are there and you don't need at the moment, well, just leave them alone. At some point you will have a need for them. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)

[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]

American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”