Barker
Major

How many got AACW Because of.....

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:18 pm

The reason I got into this was a depp family history and heritage that fought for the south. From an Officer to a cav pvt with Forrest. Family tales of battles that fought near our home, when the Yankees tried to get in the house....when they caught 2 yankees went to the woods and shot em.....interesting family history ....makes it all come together when playing the game....Thanks AGEod for everything

Coffee Sergeant
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:02 am

Well I did have a relative who joined the Army of the Mississippi in 1864 but it was a really weird story. He wanted to be in the cavalry, and told them he attended West Point(he hadn't). I think they did make him a quartermaster or some other logisitics officer. He was older(38) and they probably didn't think he would make much of a fighting man. Growing up in northern Virginia (suburbs) of D.C., you are kind of at the intersection of Dixie and Yankee country. We have lots of schools, roads, named after Lee and Jackson, on the other hand we have tons of transplants from all over the country and there's not too many of the Lost Cause crowd around here.

Le Ricain

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:31 pm

My family history is more divided than yours. I am descended from the Wells family. In the 1840's Stephen Wells and his family moved from Maine to Rome, Georgia. The two eldest sons, O J and Benjamin were in the ACW.

O J served in the Mexican American War and afterwards settled in New Orleans. In September 1861, O J enlisted in the 3rd Louisiana Rgt and due to his previous military experience was elected as 2nd Lt in Company F 'Shreveport Rangers'. The 3rd LA participated in the battles of Wilson's Creek, Pea Ridge, Iuka, Corinth and the siege of Vicksburg. After the Rgt was exchanged, O J, now a Major, served with Polk's Army of the Mississippi before dying of disease in 1864.

When war broke out, Benjamin left Rome and travelled by train back to Maine. He enlisted in 1862, but for reasons unknown he was not called up until late 1863. He served as a Private with the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery during Grant' summer campaign in Virginia. In the autumn 1864 he fell ill and was eventually discharged from the army.

In 1863, father Stephen at age 65 enlisted with Floyd's Legion in response to Streight's Lightning Mule Attack. After Streight's defeat at the hands of Forrest, Stephen was discharged. However, in 1864 he joind the Home Guard to defend against Sherman's March to the Sea. Stephen survived the war.

Benjamin was my great, great...grandfather.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Barker
Major

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Excellent...Your GG Grandfather and Mine from the 4th Alabama Cav probably fought together at the battles of Moulton and Florence....

My ancestors are from Va. 1620 Capt John Barker , Ships Captain....hios sons fought in Bacon's Rebellion and was the Castle when Captured, Was the were part of the First Va Militia in 1700's, Moved to NC Granville County, Then to Tennessee, then final place in Alabama in 1823. I have had ancestors in every war except for Mexican...Had in the Indian Wars in Alabama and Etc.

Does make for historical context with some of these games

Sgt_of_the_24th_MI
Conscript

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:16 pm

I have limited knowledge of specific ancestors from the ACW but one. My GG grandfather, Francis Redfern served in the 1st Michigan Cav., apparently a 90 day regiment. When his enlistment expired, he volunteered in the Navy!

I am Federal, through and through. I have studied the ACW most of my life and I have been a CW reenactor (in the 24th MI) for the last 22 years. :coeurs: My goal is to survive well enough to participate in the 150th Anniversary reenactment of Gettysburg. Five more years to go!

I have visited most of the major battlefields, from New Orleans & Vicksburg to Bentonville, NC and the entire state of Virginia. I have met some of the greatest people on these trips. AACW just FEELS right. I just wish I had MORE time to play.

Sgt_of_the_24th_MI

Barker
Major

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:38 pm

If it weren't for work I wouuld be....After the War my GG Grand Ed Malone was also in Confederate Veteren Org, I have not joined SOCV or Military Order of the Stars and Bars because I would love too.....Time is an evil thing... I am a Mason , Shriner, Hillbilly, Coach and work....so when I do play I really enjoy it.

My other GG Grand Peter Barker...was captured at donelson, sent to Camp Chase, then Johnson Island. I help the dig at johnson Island with some money because he was there....There were so many things that our family was into it just boggles the mind, My Great Uncle was in WW1, His son My cousin was in WWII, Navy on the USS New Orleans when it got hit by Kamikazi's and torpedoes, My Grandfather was turned down for enlistment because of his critical skill on the home front, he helped in the construction of Oak Ridge. His Brother helped with the Picwic Dam Project, My father was involved in the Apollo Propject , he is Aerospace Stress Engineer....I am involved with new Technology in Aerospace.....So when you see parts of your family Legacy in a game you gravitate towards it....

AACW Map Look at North West Alabama, Tuscumbia - That is where the Barkers are from, Russellville, Franklin County - Also home to the 1st Alabama US Cavalry which Cousin were in that unit.

Forge of Freedom - when I saw my GG Grandfathers Unit represented NO BRAINER it was a Purchase - Tattered Volunteers

johnnyreb6
Conscript

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 pm

I bought it because of the Confederate history in my family. Also, the War of Northern Aggression is a big thing here in the South and especially Virginia.
Confederate Ancestors:
Pvt. John P. Forrest (1st cousin of Nathan B. Forrest)
Cpl. David Garren
Pvt. Carter Martin

Barker
Major

Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:47 pm

to the farmer it was the war of Northern Aggression....never the Civil War....My Grandmother always said that her Grandpa always said them Yanks had no right to come down here and tell me what I can do and what I can't do.......

Ejack
Conscript

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:08 am

My family were Irish and German immigrants in West Tennessee around Jackson. All the ones we know of fought for the Union and after the war had to move to Martin, TN because the county folks were awfully hostile to the immigrant families who chose against the state. That's actually how my GG grandparents meet, Irish and German families relocating after the war to avoid unpleasantness creating a little community to themselves. We still have the house my GG grandfather built outside of Martin. Funny thing happens over time though. My rat terrier was going to be named Sherman, but my mother wouldn't allow it. She was a proud Southerner that "forgave" her ancestors for fighting against her beloved Tennessee.

I think we went to Shiloh and Stones River every other year as a kid, so I grew up immersed in the ACW history.

Barker
Major

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:11 am

It is amazing how people are engrossed with a peice of history that ties into their family....that is what makes this game so great

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Cause?

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:11 am

My family fought and many died fighting for the South. Our family estate was destroyed by carpet-baggers. My family were brave and determined and fought to the last straw. They were all traitors and thank God they did not prevail. T

Ethy
Sergeant

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:11 pm

all your families historys are very moveing and its good to talk about wat our ancestors did, im english so my ancestors never had anything to do with the ACW but probebly reading about it in the newspaper however its strange to think that your ancestors many years ago probebly where taking potshots at eachother on the battlefield and maybe they where all taking potshots at my ancestors in the american war of independence :D

Le Ricain

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:19 pm

Ethy wrote:all your families historys are very moveing and its good to talk about wat our ancestors did, im english so my ancestors never had anything to do with the ACW but probebly reading about it in the newspaper however its strange to think that your ancestors many years ago probebly where taking potshots at eachother on the battlefield and maybe they where all taking potshots at my ancestors in the american war of independence :D

Or in the case of my family, my ancestors were taking potshots at each other. In the case of the AWI, I am descended from veterans of both rebel and loyalist units including one guy who started the war with the Americans, but finished with the Loyalists.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Sgt_of_the_24th_MI
Conscript

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:55 pm

Not directly related to AACW, but my ancestor during the AWI was a gentleman named Roger Sherman. He is my 6th great-grandfather, signed both the Declaration of Independence AND the Constitution for the state of Connecticut, one of only half a dozen that signed both. My daughter and I saw another document he had signed at the National Archives where the members of the Continental Congress had sworn to protect each other after King George III branded them all as traitors.

javelina1
Conscript

Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:28 am

I used to play the SPI board game, War between the States. I've always had an interest in the Civil War. Enjoyed Shelby Foote's books, Bruce Canton's too. And the Civil War series that Ken Burns did for PBS.

This game really captures all of what I'm looking for.

ironwarrior
Private

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:05 am

Always interesting to trace family history. My tree traces to Henry Haldane, who was ADC to Lord Cornwallis during the AWI, and then stayed with him in India. Cornwallis mentioned Haldane many times in his writings, such as this one to Tarleton:

Lord Cornwallis to Banastre Tarleton, Wynnesborough, Jan. 2d, 1781, seven o'clock A.M.

Dear Tarleton,
I sent Haldane to you last night, to desire you would pass the Broad river, with the legion and the first battalion of the 71st, as soon as possible. If Morgan is still at Williams', or anywhere within your reach, I should wish you to push him to the utmost: I have not heard, except from M'Arthur, of his having cannon; nor would I believe it, unless he has it from good authority: It is, however, possible, and Ninety Six is of so much consequence, that no time is to be lost.

Yours sincerely,

Cornwallis

Let me know if you think that the moving the whole, or any part of my (c.) corps, can be of use.

(from: A History of the Campaigns of 1780 and 1781, in the Southern Province of North America, by Lieutenant-Colonel Tarleton, pp 244-245)

My Grandfather fought in the British Army at the battle of Somme in WW1.

TheDoctorKing

Ancestors

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:17 am

I had ancestors on both sides, like many Americans. My mother's family is from Albany, New York, and her grandfather was too old but his younger brother was in a New York regiment that was with Sherman in the west. He fought at Chickamaugua, Chattanooga, marched through Georgia and South Carolina, and was there until the end. My father's family is from rural Virginia and DC, and he had an ancestor on his mother's side, a German immigrant, who was a doctor with the CSA Army of Northern Virginia and then settled down after the war as a tobacconist (!) in DC, while another ancestor, on his father's side, was a bandit in the Virginia Blue Ridge mountains. That one's cousin was in the 4th West Virginia (USA) and there is an old family story that the bandit killed the Union soldier, though I found the cousin's grave in a nearby burying ground and the dates aren't right...

But when I was young the stories around the house were of my maternal gggrandfather who was in the War of American Independence, fought in Canada in 1775 and then enlisted in the New York Continentals for the duration. I have held his Charleville musket (thank you France!) in my own hands. Nobody seemed to want to talk much about the Civil War. Still a touchy subject in those days.

I think it was the centennial of the Civil War in the 1960's, along with the (at least partial) success of the civil rights movement, that finally allowed some more rational discussion of the Civil War in the USA. Before that it was all Gone With The Wind, Birth of a Nation, and United Daughters of the Confederacy in the South, and up North a lingering feeling that they didn't get it and a fear that treason might reappear again. When I was a boy we celebrated Robert E Lee's birthday in my (segregated) elementary school and my mother used to snort that she was going to keep me home. Then by junior high school I was somehow memorizing the Gettysburg Address. Things changed fast in those days.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:33 am

I got it because I enjoy it, but found out I may be related to Daniel Butterfield because of the game... apparently a Union political general who was actually halfway decent. :p
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:03 am

My earliest recollection of being interested in ACW games was when I played Milton Bradley's "Battle Cry" back in the 1960s as a preteen. Eventually, it dawned on me: "Hey, this isn't that realistic!"

Then the quest was on, landing me 40 years later with AACW!

TheDoctorKing

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:35 am

ironwarrior wrote:
My Grandfather fought in the British Army at the battle of Somme in WW1.

An enormously important experience for modern Britain. Have you read Lyn MacDonald's _Somme_?

Have you been following discussion of the new AGEOD game La Grande Guerre?

ironwarrior
Private

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:40 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:An enormously important experience for modern Britain. Have you read Lyn MacDonald's _Somme_?

Have you been following discussion of the new AGEOD game La Grande Guerre?

Wow, I haven't seen that book since I was a kid! My grandfather (on my mother's side) was in that book and we had a copy of it and a video that was taken in the early eighties of my g-father and veterans of Somme. I haven't been able to find them lately, will have to see if my sister ended up with them. Thanks for reminding me about that book!

I've definately been lurking the La Grande Guerre forum :) .

My father does have copies of original dispatches for Cornwallis signed by Haldane from the records house in GB.

Barker
Major

Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:57 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:When I was a boy we celebrated Robert E Lee's birthday in my (segregated) elementary school and my mother used to snort that she was going to keep me home. Then by junior high school I was somehow memorizing the Gettysburg Address. Things changed fast in those days.

I went to school in the 60's down in alabama, I remember the Holidays,
Confederate Memorial Day,
Robert E Lee's Birthday
Jefferson Davis's Birthday

Was not recognised
Memorial Day
George Washingtons Birthday
Abraham Lincoln's Birthday

The state house had the Battle flag flying high over the dome and above the American Flag in Mongomery. Seeing rural Alabama where shotgun houses dotted the landscape. Animosity of the north for what they did aster the war.

The school I went to had separate playgrounds that was divided by a brick wall
Rexall drugs had 2 entrances
Movie house had 2 areas.

Needless to say we came along way and thankfully we got alot better. But I did find that there is more racism and bigotry in the north then here in the south. Todays southerners are very aware of certain things and basically more careful. This is just my opinion.

That is what I remember of that period.

Rafiki

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:18 am

Since I need to keep an eye on where discussions might be headed, I just want to generally remind you that:
  • Discussion of the game AACW and various topics relating to it: This forum and various sub-forums
  • Discussion of topics relating to the historical ACW: The "ACW History Club"-forum
  • Discussion of contemporary and recent history issues: Other forums

:)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Barker
Major

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:31 am

Well I guess this whole thread should be moved then. We are discussing historical aspect, content and such within the conext of the game. The problem Rafiki is that anything that is discussed in these threads that are not technical in nature are based on historic content or conjecture. I think this is more a general type of thing then historic but you are the moderator.

Barker
Major

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:33 am

Also I think that since we are all adults and can act accordingly. in order to understand the why you have to understand the when to get to the how come but this may never be because the history should never have happened therefore the question of why is moot

richfed

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:58 am

Chaplain Lovejoy wrote:My earliest recollection of being interested in ACW games was when I played Milton Bradley's "Battle Cry" back in the 1960s as a preteen. Eventually, it dawned on me: "Hey, this isn't that realistic!"

Then the quest was on, landing me 40 years later with AACW!

Man, I remember that game!!!!

I'm just interested in history ... my ancestors were in Sicily during the Civil War.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Rafiki

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Barker wrote:Well I guess this whole thread should be moved then. We are discussing historical aspect, content and such within the conext of the game. The problem Rafiki is that anything that is discussed in these threads that are not technical in nature are based on historic content or conjecture. I think this is more a general type of thing then historic but you are the moderator.

The thread started out as asking about how many got AACW due to various reasons, which is something I consider relevant to the game. Since, it has digressed a little from that, and I wish to see if I can nudge it back on track.
Barker wrote:Also I think that since we are all adults and can act accordingly. in order to understand the why you have to understand the when to get to the how come but this may never be because the history should never have happened therefore the question of why is moot

We are all adults, and I have to say that compared to any other forum I have frequented, the discussions here are with very, very few exceptions, civil and respectful. My thanks to the forum members for that! :)

However, there are a few instances in the past where discussions have spun out of control, especially when they have moved towards contemporary issues. I don't want to revisit that, which is why I step in, perhaps a bit prematurely, in situations as this :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Barker
Major

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:21 pm

same here you remeber gettysburg by avalon hill....how many got lincoln logs and the Marx Civil war guys when they were little and started re enacting various battles between the rebs and yanks...those were some interesting times

Jonathan Palfrey
Sergeant

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:55 pm

I'm British, living in Spain; I've hardly ever set foot on the American continent. I bought the game indirectly because, in about 1970, I found in the school library Colonel G.F.R. Henderson's biography of Stonewall Jackson, which started an interest in the American Civil War that continues to this day. Recently, through Amazon, I managed to get hold of a new copy of that book, and it still seems as good now as it did then.

I have several different ACW computer games. I also still have the old GDW board game A House Divided, but unfortunately no-one to play it with. I also suffer from a shortage of time, having a job and a family and several other interests that all take up time. I wish that AGEOD's ACW game had been easier to learn and quicker to play.

squarian
Brigadier General

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:29 pm

I got AACW because I enjoy pre-20th c. wargames. I hope Ageod prospers, because I'd love to see its treatment of Frederick the Great's wars. I suppose the Franco-Prussian War would be too much to hope for?

That being said, I had no direct relatives in the American Civil War - all my family were either in Oregon ignoring the mess back east, or in England thankful they lived in a civilized country which had got over its own issues two centuries earlier. But my great-uncle by marriage had an ancestor who was a CSA officer - he had this ancestor's revolver, a Colt 1851 Navy, mounted above a fireplace with the Confederate battle flag, and at an early age it naturally captured my imagination.

Barker wrote:same here you remeber gettysburg by avalon hill....

My first wargame was AH's 1776 - didn't catch up with Gettysburg '64 until some years later, but I did enjoy playing their Gettysburg '78. Never got a chance to play SPI's Terrible Swift Sword, but I got quite a bit of mileage out of VG's The Civil War. For me, now having less time for wargaming, AACW is a boon if for no other reason that that I don't have to leave a map set up on a table somewhere. :)

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”