Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Stand Watie

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:49 pm

He's a good cavalry commander - 5-3-1 with good seniority, but he seems to have some innate penalization against commanding anything that costs CPs. Is this is an error, or working as intended?

Rafiki

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:07 pm

He isn't a regular CSA leader; he's an IND(ian) leader. Hence he gets CP penalized when commanding non-indian units, e.g. regular CSA ones.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:13 pm

Aww, ok. As a sub-ordinate he works fine. I guess you just have to use him as a dvisional comander rather than independent.

Rafiki

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:46 pm

That should work. I think CP penalties only apply for the commander of the stack :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Ethy
Sergeant

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:05 am

hehe i love good old Stand Watie! :indien:

however to use him affectivly i find its best to let him recruit a few cherokee troops and have him in command of the cherokee section causing as much pandamonium as he can in Missouri and with help from a little recruitment of Missouri Militia popping up in that state he can be a vital tool of war winning minor (however morale boosting) victories all the way to Sioux City :)

i even let him and his troops ransac San Francisco in one of my more recent games :indien:

Roger B
Private

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Rafiki wrote:That should work. I think CP penalties only apply for the commander of the stack :)

I seem to recall reading somewhere (probably decades ago) Indian units didn't exactly like artillery fire (who among us would?) and pretty much tried to avoid it. Maybe units under Watie and Pike should take some morale negatives if the Union has more artillery or longer range values?

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:41 pm

I remember reading that same thing in SPI's game on the Battle of Pea Ridge, I think it was. Said the Indians couldn't stand to face "the fire wagons."

Roger B
Private

Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Chaplain Lovejoy wrote:I remember reading that same thing in SPI's game on the Battle of Pea Ridge, I think it was. Said the Indians couldn't stand to face "the fire wagons."

You know, quite honestly that may be where I read that! I loved that game system.

Roger B
Private

Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:31 pm

According to a passage in Battles and Leaders of the Civil War, Vol 1 in reference to the Indian brigades. This passage isn't necessarily describing Stand Watie's brigade but in general:

[INDENT]They fought very well when they had an opportunity to take shelter behind trees and logs, but could not easily be brought to face artillery, and a single shell thrown at them was generally sufficient to demoralize them and put them to flight.[/INDENT]

Can't say I blame them. However in the description of the battle of Pea Ridge I found no reference to Albert Pike's, McIntosh's, or Watie's regiments cowering from artillery or being put to flight.

Ethy
Sergeant

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:28 pm

Roger B wrote:According to a passage in Battles and Leaders of the Civil War, Vol 1 in reference to the Indian brigades. This passage isn't necessarily describing Stand Watie's brigade but in general:

[INDENT]They fought very well when they had an opportunity to take shelter behind trees and logs, but could not easily be brought to face artillery, and a single shell thrown at them was generally sufficient to demoralize them and put them to flight.[/INDENT]

Can't say I blame them. However in the description of the battle of Pea Ridge I found no reference to Albert Pike's, McIntosh's, or Watie's regiments cowering from artillery or being put to flight.

i guess the official minutes of that battle neglected to put down the fact that they ran from field after a few artillery bombardments :D

Roger B
Private

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:02 pm

Ethy wrote:i guess the official minutes of that battle neglected to put down the fact that they ran from field after a few artillery bombardments :D

At least not the battle history I was reading.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Roger B wrote:According to a passage in Battles and Leaders of the Civil War, Vol 1 in reference to the Indian brigades. This passage isn't necessarily describing Stand Watie's brigade but in general:

I don't know that you can classify that as an indian thing only. I imagine any untrained militia would react the same way.

arsan

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:01 pm

I agree... and surely after some battles/skirmishes Indian troops will get used to guns as well as any irregular troops around.
I'm sure the guys who rode with them by the time he surrendered on summer 65 (Waties is supposedly the last CSA general who stopped fighting) were quite used to artillery after 4 yeas of fighting :indien:
Regards!

Tex Willer
Corporal

Thu May 07, 2009 9:21 pm

In the game there's an event about Stand Watie, the last one about him, that told about an Indian Infantry Brigade, but there's not in the game! And there aren't also any replacement for Indian troops! :confused: :indien:

Aphrodite Mae

Thu May 07, 2009 9:50 pm

Tex Willer wrote: [...] And there aren't also any replacement for Indian troops! :confused: :indien:

I might be wrong, but I think it has something to do with the way that decimated Indian units automatically reappear in their village, after awhile.

If I'm right, then maybe that's why you're supposed to destroy sweet little peaceful Indian villages. :( It keeps the Indians from reappearing. At least, I think so.

Tex Willer
Corporal

Fri May 08, 2009 12:03 am

The Indian units will be at full strenght if they hold position on their villages? :w00t:
And what about the Indian Infantry Brigade?

Aphrodite Mae

Fri May 22, 2009 7:50 am

Tex Willer wrote:The Indian units will be at full strenght if they hold position on their villages? :w00t:
And what about the Indian Infantry Brigade?

I'm sorry that I can't answer your questions, Tex. I was kinda hoping that someone else would, who knew more than me. Since that's pretty much "everybody", that leaves the field wide open!
...Gentlemen?

Degataga
Private

Fri May 22, 2009 8:42 pm

To the best of my knowledge the Indian units just duplicate themselves once (which I've always assumed was a bug). I've never seen them respawn if they are destroyed. However I'm pretty sure they draw replacements. Whether those are automatically granted or drawn from some other category I can't say.

Of course I don't think I've ever lost all the elements, so I can't say for sure. As you may have guessed from my name I'm rather attached to them. :D

Jim-NC

Fri May 22, 2009 9:49 pm

They do pull replacements if wounded. After the respawn event, if they are destroyed, then they do not come back :( (I got an early severe winter, and they starved to death, never came back).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”