Southerner
Corporal

What Is The Story Behind Welcome,Ark?

Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:25 pm

Due east from Fayetteville is the region of Welcome, Arkansas.

It is under Federal control from day 1. I gather a brigade at Fayetteville and move them into the Welcome region and it turns to C.S.A. control...for a turn or two..then reverts to Federal control.

No real strategic importance to the region. No real reason to fret over it. It just bugs the heck out of me that it reverts so easily back to Federal control ,when no Fed troops are anywhere near or traveling through the region. :8o:

Anybody know why it does this? Is it because Arkansas state loyality isn't 100%?

I guess I could haul a couple of supply units there and build a depot to keep it loyal, but there are far more important places that need the resources that this forsaken wilderness.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:14 pm

deleted

Clovis

Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:17 pm

Fayetteville was a pro-unionist enclave in Confederate Arkansas. Not an error in my sense.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Southerner
Corporal

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:58 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:I just looked into this... Several of the scenarios (Campaigns) have presumably mistakenly reused the data from the later scenario (Campaign '64) it seems, so I have corrected this in the earlier scenarios. I'll make it available in the next itineration of the RR MOD files in a few days and submit it to Pocus for inclusion in the next patch hopefully.

Regards

Great and thanks..I suspected something was amiss in Welcome.

Le Ricain

Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:39 am

Clovis wrote:Fayetteville was a pro-unionist enclave in Confederate Arkansas. Not an error in my sense.

North west Arkansas was pro-union. In February 1861, Washington County (Fayetteville is the county seat) voted 3-1 in favour of the union. In the total Arkansas vote secession was defeated by 23,600 votes to 18,000 votes. The vote was split geographically between the pro-union north west and the delta south. However, the voters did approve a secession convention. At the convention, secession was defeated 39 - 35.

After Fort Sumter, the secession convention was recalled and the motion to secede passed 65 - 5. It was proposed that the 5 dissenting voters change their votes in order that the motion could be passed unanimously. One guy refused to change and guess where he was from? Fayettesville.

During the war, Washington county provided approximately 2,000 soldiers for the CSA and 500 - 800 soldiers for the USA.

I would suggest leaving Welcome as pro-union and even change Fayettesville to pro-union.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Gray_Lensman

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:34 am

deleted

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:56 am

I think we can add some unionist in Winston county in Alabama, here is a wikilink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Winston. I think we can consider them pro-unionist although they were more pro-neutrality. I will try and find what county in the game we should add the unionist to.
"Saw steamer, strafed same, sank same, some sight, signed smith" From "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.

Le Ricain

Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Kotik wrote:I think we can add some unionist in Winston county in Alabama, here is a wikilink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Winston. I think we can consider them pro-unionist although they were more pro-neutrality. I will try and find what county in the game we should add the unionist to.

I believe that the so called Free State of Winston would correspond with the AACW region of Andrews, Alabama.

Winston County had similar sentiments with Yell County, Arkansas, which became well known for the quote, "When Arkansas seceded from the Union, Yell County seceded from Arkansas".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Jabberwock

Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Does anyone know where county-level data about the election returns of 1860 might be posted on the Internet? I've searched, but can't find any (only state level). These might be useful as a guide. I'm guessing that pro-union areas of the South were generally for Bell, and copperhead regions of the north went strongly for Douglas. I am not saying that's necessarily true on an individual level, or that these should be used to completely redraw the loyalty map. More curiousity about any correlations at this point, since I haven't seen the data. Also interested in results from the secession votes.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:36 pm

E. Tennessee and mountain areas of N.C. were also pro-Union. :p apy:

simovitch
Corporal

Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:18 am

Jabberwock wrote:Does anyone know where county-level data about the election returns of 1860 might be posted on the Internet? I've searched, but can't find any (only state level).

There's a fairly detailed map on page 236 of the Oxford press paperback version of McPherson's "Battlecry of Freedom" where the counties are shaded by the carried candidate. Your assumptions are mostly correct, except the majority of the South is labeled "no returns, unsettled, etc."

Southerner
Corporal

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:58 pm

This is all fine and dandy but doesn't address my original quesion as to why this one particular region is handled differently in game[I][/I] from other regions..that is .... why is it so easily self reverting? :sourcil: while others are not.

Le Ricain

Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:12 pm

Southerner wrote:This is all fine and dandy but doesn't address my original quesion as to why this one particular region is handled differently in game[I][/I] from other regions..that is .... why is it so easily self reverting? :sourcil: while others are not.

Unless a region is garrisoned, the military control will slowly change in favour of its loyalty. In case of Welcome, unless you place a CSA unit there, it will revert back to Union control.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”