Nutmegger
Civilian

Forming Divisions

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:49 pm

I can form armies. I can form corps. But forming divisions has eluded me.

I can see the button about authorizing a commander to be the head of a division. I press the button. But after that, nothing much seems to happen. How do you create the division HQs needed to put together divisions?

I'm very happy with the game, but I really could use some new divisions. Thanks for your help.

- Nutmegger

Rafiki

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:54 pm

You don't need division HQs; After enabling a general to be a division commander, simply combine him with other units (brigades and regiments) to assemble the division.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

KillCalvalry
Lieutenant

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:55 pm

1. Press the button, and a gray bar should appear over the leader's name. That leader now has a Division HQ embedded with the leader unit.
2. Immediately use the CTRL and + buttons to fill the division with elements. Do that immediately, because the new division will disappear at the end of the turn if you don't.

That's it.

Henry D.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:00 pm

Nutmegger wrote:I can form armies. I can form corps. But forming divisions has eluded me.

I can see the button about authorizing a commander to be the head of a division. I press the button. But after that, nothing much seems to happen. How do you create the division HQs needed to put together divisions?

I'm very happy with the game, but I really could use some new divisions. Thanks for your help.

- Nutmegger
Welcome Aboard!

It goes like this:

- Have an active leader in a stack together with some brigades and batteries

- enable Divison command for the leader

- Select the leader AND the brigades, etc You want to form a divison with by using CRTL-Klick. The "merge units" buttons will appear. Klick on it and voila, instant division formed.

Regards, Henry :)
Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

Nutmegger
Civilian

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:02 pm

KillCalvalry wrote:1. Press the button, and a gray bar should appear over the leader's name. That leader now has a Division HQ embedded with the leader unit.
2. Immediately use the CTRL and + buttons to fill the division with elements. Do that immediately, because the new division will disappear at the end of the turn if you don't.

That's it.

Aha. The old "CTRL +" trick... to quote Agent 86. Okay, will try that.

GShock

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:13 pm

I guess the button is there when you hover the mouse over it you can see how many divs u have out of a max total number of divs + it tells you the costs to pay.

I am not entirely sure but i think i did merge leader+units and the div command was automatically activated for them. I said not entirely sure but this automated combo (if confirmed by some more xp player) actually removes the need of that button at all. The infos I spoke about in the tooltip could actually be added to the + button whereas the enableDIV command button could be devoted to some other new function (and i'm sure NPC will use many new functions, it's just that the DEVS won't tell) :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Gresbeck
Sergeant

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:13 pm

But the problem of division costs remains still unclear to me. Even when I play as the North, I get a message saying I couldn't afford the entire cost of the division, and the division is understreghtened. I have plenty of supplies and war materials. Maybe should I spare some more conscript companies? How many of them? Aren't the costs of conscript companies needed to form the division detracted in the budget? Sorry if the question has been already raised, but I cannot find it.

Syagrius
Lieutenant

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:57 pm

It seems it is a question of money. When, as the Union, I decided to raise more money I didnt had any more problems raising division.
Roma Aeterna Est

Le Ricain

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:28 pm

If you look at the Financial section, you will see a summary of what is available in your current turn and what will be added in the next turn. When you add additional troops or money, you are actually adding thiese amounts to your next turn. However, you can use these amounts to raise new units or obtain replacements as these are also for the next turn.

When you form divisions, you are pulling from this turn's amounts of money and men. If in this turn you imposed taxes, war bonds or called for volunteers these amounts can not be used to fund your current turn costs, ie divisions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Jabberwock

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:09 pm

After reinforcements, replacements, and economic development, you need to have 10$, 1 conscript, & 5WS left over for each division that is forming.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Xoo
Civilian

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:20 pm

Jabberwock wrote:After reinforcements, replacements, and economic development, you need to have 10$, 1 conscript, & 5WS left over for each division that is forming.

Yes, always your responsible and check all before click next turn....Making sure you have excess 10$, 1 conscript, & 5 WS per division...

or punishment the generals -2 -2 -1 on one round. :nuts:

Le Ricain

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:56 pm

Jabberwock wrote:After reinforcements, replacements, and economic development, you need to have 10$, 1 conscript, & 5WS left over for each division that is forming.

It is probably worth repeating that the 10$, 1 conscript and 5 WS need to be in your current account and not in your next turn account. It can be confusing. The summary at the top of the screen or the financial page will tell you if you have saved enough.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Gresbeck
Sergeant

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:02 pm

Le Ricain wrote:It is probably worth repeating that the 10$, 1 conscript and 5 WS need to be in your current account and not in your next turn account. It can be confusing. The summary at the top of the screen or the financial page will tell you if you have saved enough.

O.K., thanks, :hat: it's clear now. I wrongly assumed the division costs were considered in the budget and that not going red in the budget were enough to get the full cost covered.

Le Ricain

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:34 pm

Gresbeck wrote:O.K., thanks, :hat: it's clear now. I wrongly assumed the division costs were considered in the budget and that not going red in the budget were enough to get the full cost covered.

Good, you got it. Like many things, I learned this fact the hard way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Nutmegger
Civilian

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Follow-up question. Now that I've formed the divisions.

Is there any way to "amend" a division once it is formed, other than dis-assembling it and paying to re-assemble it?

I've got Grant leading a division now. He's going to be ready for a promotion soon. Can I put another general in there and pull him out once he's ready to lead an army?

Henry D.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:26 pm

Nutmegger wrote:Follow-up question. Now that I've formed the divisions.

Is there any way to "amend" a division once it is formed, other than dis-assembling it and paying to re-assemble it?
No, but if You "disband" and form a new one with the same leader in the same turn, You don't pay any additional costs...

Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

Gresbeck
Sergeant

Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Henry D. wrote:No, but if You "disband" and form a new one with the same leader in the same turn, You don't pay any additional costs...

But the promoted leader is not eligible to command a corps if he's the leader of the division, or has the system changed since the suppression of div HQ? (sorry, I recently completed an old campaign under the old rule of div HQ, and I've just begun to play under the new rules).

Henry D.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:42 pm

Gresbeck wrote:But the promoted leader is not eligible to command a corps if he's the leader of the division, or has the system changed since the suppression of div HQ? (sorry, I recently completed an old campaign under the old rule of div HQ, and I've just begun to play under the new rules).
Good question. I believe he should not be eligible for corps command as long as he is commanding his own division, but I've seen screenshots where a division commander with higher seniority was made commander of a new formed corps over the head of another lower seniority ** in the same stack without a division... :8o:

WAD or bug? Beats me, Pocus will tell us...

chainsaw
Sergeant

Division or Corp command

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:28 pm

Once you disband his division the division commander instantly becomes eligible to command a corp (if he meets the basic criteria, e.g., 2 stars, Army within command range). His old division elements are now sitting within the corp, and can be assigned to other divisions or left as corp assets - your choice.

I have never seen a division commander retain his division command AND be allowed to command the corp as well. Good luck...
=========
[SIZE="4"][color="Orange"] Go Hokies![/color][/size]
=========

simovitch
Corporal

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:11 pm

chainsaw wrote:Once you disband his division the division commander instantly becomes eligible to command a corp (if he meets the basic criteria, e.g., 2 stars, Army within command range). His old division elements are now sitting within the corp, and can be assigned to other divisions or left as corp assets - your choice.

I have never seen a division commander retain his division command AND be allowed to command the corp as well. Good luck...

I have seen it before a few times- when I merged a division into a Corps commanded by a general of lower rank, the higher rank general takes command and retains his divisional elements. I thought it was a bit strange.

What I would like to know is how that 'hybrid' division is deployed by the game during the combat sequence.

Jabberwock

Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:58 pm

IIRC:

1. The corps commander recieves his bonuses from the army commander.
2. All other divisions in the corps receive his bonus at the 3% corps rate, and their own commander's bonus at the 5% division rate.
3. His personal division receives his bonus at the 5% division rate, but no additional bonus for being in the corps.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”