rasnell
Major

When Grant arrives: Strategy to prepare?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:07 am

In my first full campaign, Grant arrives in Louisville in early February 1862. I created an Army HQ that is waiting in D.C.

It will take 85 days to move this Army HQ to him by rail. Is this normal?

I guess it's lucky that I created the extra HQ and had it waiting. What are the key strategy tips about having Division HQ and Army HQ ready and waiting?

And what is the quickest way to get them moved to the proper location?

I wished there was a user-friendlier way for all of this to operate, something like a click to select which general attaches to the Army HQ and then a built-in delay with the general to match whatever activation time is needed for it to operate.

Otherwise, this is kind of a pain to get them moved and linked.

Am I doing anything wrong or not understanding something?

frank7350
Brigadier General

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:18 am

i made the same mistake.....

before you move the units, you have to click on the rail move.... so while it would seem intuitive to move the unit, then click rail move, you have to do it the other way...first click rail move, then move the unit. that should take care of the problem and cut down movement time dramatically. :cwboy:

pasternakski
Colonel

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:23 am

Yep. What happens if you do it in the wrong sequence is that the unit's movement path is plotted in the most efficient way for walking. When you hit the railroad movement button, all you get is whatever railroad movement that happens to be consistent with the already-established foot movement plot.

I learned this the hard way, too. In fact, my experience with learning this game so far has led me to whack myself on the forehead so many times, I've given myself a concussion...

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:43 am

pasternakski wrote:Yep. What happens if you do it in the wrong sequence is that the unit's movement path is plotted in the most efficient way for walking. When you hit the railroad movement button, all you get is whatever railroad movement that happens to be consistent with the already-established foot movement plot.

I learned this the hard way, too. In fact, my experience with learning this game so far has led me to whack myself on the forehead so many times, I've given myself a concussion...

Well I need to give a good whack to my forehead :bonk: ...I'm into turn 60 of the Nov '61 campaign and did not know this sequence. Could not understand why my units did not move that much better after I clicked on rail movement. A good reason why I play a few turns and then check back to this forum for advice.

tc237
Colonel

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:55 am

oldspec4 wrote:.... A good reason why I play a few turns and then check back to this forum for advice....

We all do. :innocent:
Hey we got to stick together and figure this game out.
We're like Lincoln's 75,000, the cadre of what will be Ageod's army. :king:
In a few weeks we'll be able to answer all the new guys questions, so that Pocus and crew will have time for bigger and better things. :siffle:

pasternakski
Colonel

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:18 am

tc237 wrote:In a few weeks we'll be able to answer all the new guys questions, ...

We can only hope ... do you know how long it took me to figure out when a bunch of stuff was a division or just a bunch of unrelated stuff? I must have grumbled and muttered for two days before I figured out that there were three buttons leading to sub-buttons at the left of the unit display.

Somebody awhile back on another thread suggested that what this game needs more than anything else is a 250-page strategy guide. Well, I don't know about the 250 pages (I believe, among other things, that James Joyce's "Ulysses" would have been much improved by condensing it into a single paragraph, so what do I know?), but a strategy guide would sure be helpful to those who have not yet entered where ye must abandon all hope like we have ...

tc237
Colonel

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:27 am

That's why we need a FAQ sticky.
I think Korrigan is working on one.
If anyone has tip/tricks, post it in the "We need a FAQ" thread to help korrigan get started.

marecone

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:52 am

:niark: This still happens to me although I've been playing this game from midbeta.
Anyway, I agree with all of you that this moveing has to be simplier. When I started asbeta I did ask Pocus to get us an option "auto go to" or "auto join". That would ease things quite a bit.

And about tips and tricks.... I find this game great because although I play for quite some time and hang on this forum I stil wasn't aware of some things. I actually like that "aha effect" because when it happens, game feels like new. :cwboy:
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Pocus

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:45 am

ok, so would you advise that when clicking on the rail button, the game recalculate the best path? Would be less confusing for the all of you?

Pasternakski, did you play the tutorial before taking the dive (not an accusation, a question), because the 3 tabs dealing with orders are described in it... just curious.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Spharv2

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:49 am

Pocus wrote:ok, so would you advise that when clicking on the rail button, the game recalculate the best path? Would be less confusing for the all of you?

That would make things a lot easier on the player if it's not too much of a pain to code. :)

Rafiki

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:58 am

Pocus wrote:ok, so would you advise that when clicking on the rail button, the game recalculate the best path? Would be less confusing for the all of you?

Yes :)

(Without overriding any intermediate waypoints that the player has set up for the path, that is, but I'd think that's a given?)

rasnell
Major

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:16 am

Definitely. I think any user thinks clicking the move by rail has the same effect no matter what order so that should be the reality.

Back to the start of my thread: I still have time to reset this. Is this how I fix it?:

1. Erase all of the moves of the HQ.
2. Click move by rail.
3. Then drop all across the map to where Grant is so it can find the new path via rail?

And you're telling me that this will be considerably less than 85 days from D.C. to Louisville?

LAVA
Sergeant

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:29 am

Pocus wrote:ok, so would you advise that when clicking on the rail button, the game recalculate the best path?

Definately and river as well...

Although I was able to figure out that you need to click on the river movement button first... because it's obvious doesn't work unless you do that... it never occurred to me that the same applied to rail movement. :bonk:

And yes.. I went through the tutorials. However, it would appear players intuitively think... move unit to destination, hit button for type of transportation.

Ray (aka LAVA)

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:21 pm

[quote="Pocus"]ok, so would you advise that when clicking on the rail button, the game recalculate the best path? Would be less confusing for the all of you?

A definite yes for me also.

SlyBelle
Corporal

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:49 pm

Yes for me too.

Chamberlain
Captain

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Count me in too

Chamberlain

marecone

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:51 pm

SlyBelle wrote:Yes for me too.

Yap.
I think Pocus gets it now :niark: . He has to do it :sourcil:
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:56 pm

The thing is, there may be a good strategic reason for wanting to walk first a ways, then board a train or boat in the same turn. Won't the auto path recalc disallow that?

pasternakski
Colonel

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:32 pm

Now that I know how to do it right, I don't care one way or another, but it would be helpful for new players...

Pasternakski, did you play the tutorial before taking the dive (not an accusation, a question), because the 3 tabs dealing with orders are described in it... just curious.

Pocus, Pocus, Pocus. In America, there are three rules that absolutely dictate the behavior of men:

1) Never read instructions
2) Never ask for directions
3) Never play tutorials

Now that I live elsewhere, I suppose I could work out a new code of conduct, but, for the time being, I am a creature of my heritage.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”