Stauffenberg
General

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:17 pm

oberst_klink wrote:Aren't there ANY Yankees here? :w00t:

We're all secesh or crypto-rebs (except of course, those who are not).

Captain_Orso

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 pm

We northerners have a much cooler disposition than our southern brethren, so we don't pipe-up too much. But if you waken our wrath our demeanor tempers to cold steel :blink: ;)

Yes sir, I've had those palmetto-ponies :dada: doing the two-step to the 1812 Overture a couple of times, but I believe that one of the beta patches added an event that even if you do win the initial battle your defenders surrender anyway, just not in the actual battle.

Stauffenberg
General

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:
Yes sir, I've had those palmetto-ponies :dada: doing the two-step to the 1812 Overture a couple of times, but I believe that one of the beta patches added an event that even if you do win the initial battle your defenders surrender anyway, just not in the actual battle.

We are used to this big talk from the pierogy-eating surrender-monkeys in Pittsburgh who think that "irony" is a local mill product. ;)

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:We are used to this big talk from the pierogy-eating surrender-monkeys in Pittsburgh who think that "irony" is a local mill product. ;)

[SIZE="3"]
Them's fightin' words to us pierogi and borscht eating Northerners of Ukrainian decent. Beware our wrath[/size] :turc:

[SIZE="4"]Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!! RrraaaAAGHGHH!!![/size]

[SIZE="2"]Ahem, there, I feel better.[/size]

PS - I play only a small number of games and this one is always on my hard drive for the many reasons stated prior to. And, I like this community better than any other game forum I've seen. So hat's off to y'all :hat:

Now pass me the sour cream and we'll have no more talk of surrenderin'.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:43 pm

I honestly don't know what a Pierogy is. Can you deep fry it?

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:50 pm

It is a dumpling with various goodies inside, predominantly potato and cheese. Boil them up, then pan fry 'em in butter, but you sure can deep fry them. It's best to have a Ukrainian baba (grandmother) make them for you.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:42 am

stauffenberg wrote:we are used to this big talk from the pierogy-eating surrender-monkeys in pittsburgh who think that "irony" is a local mill product. ;)

lol! Roar!!!

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 am

gchristie wrote:It is a dumpling with various goodies inside, predominantly potato and cheese. Boil them up, then pan fry 'em in butter, but you sure can deep fry them. It's best to have a Ukrainian baba (grandmother) make them for you.

It was cooked only in steam in Ottoman times not by boiled water. But nowadays there are dumplings machine made. They are not good. But it is the first time I heard dumpling(mantı or Varenyky called in UKR) were made from potato and cheese.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:54 am

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:I honestly don't know what a Pierogy is. Can you deep fry it?

All ya'll gots to unnerstan' that down South we deep fry evahthin' that ain't already barbequed -- deep fry veggies, deep fry salad, deep fry napkins, heck we'll even deep fry them dee-zerts!... well ya'll get it? Com'n down and see us now, he'ah? Say Hidy to mom'n'em. Sit on da porch and stay a spell!

<salute to my fellow Kentuckian and Lexingtonian!>

lodilefty

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Longshanks wrote:All ya'll gots to unnerstan' that down South we deep fry evahthin' that ain't already barbequed -- deep fry veggies, deep fry salad, deep fry napkins, heck we'll even deep fry them dee-zerts!... well ya'll get it? Com'n down and see us now, he'ah? Say Hidy to mom'n'em. Sit on da porch and stay a spell!

<salute to my fellow Kentuckian and Lexingtonian!>

..and don't fergit Short-legged beef stew, with hot sause to cover the gamey taste
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Stauffenberg
General

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:47 pm

lodilefty wrote:..and don't fergit Short-legged beef stew, with hot sause to cover the gamey taste

I think that's the one you find the odd whisker in.
I'd need lots of sauce and bourbon in that case.

Captain_Orso

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:We are used to this big talk from the pierogy-eating surrender-monkeys in Pittsburgh who think that "irony" is a local mill product. ;)

:mdr: Settle down there Johnny, you'll bust a vein.

Out west, dumplings are just appetizers. To grow up like this

<===

ya got to get some beef 'n corn and tatters to fill the space between the beef 'n corn, 'n gravy to bind it all up. Not those skinny lil' heffers with a hide 2 sizes too small that their bone are poken out in all directions. Big, mountains of meat cattle that'll do your appetite justice. Then some apple pie with cream fresh from the cow 'n beaten stiff on top. *ahhh* :love:

Jim-NC

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm

On pierogies, after frying in butter, add sauteed onions (fried in butter), and sauteed green peppers.

Butter makes everything better. :thumbsup:
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stauffenberg
General

Salt pork hard tack and peanuts

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Jim-NC wrote:On pierogies, after frying in butter, add sauteed onions (fried in butter), and sauteed green peppers.

Butter makes everything better. :thumbsup:

Wow. I make one offhand comment about "pierogies" and they take over the thread.
Anyhow, foreign bluebelly mercenaries can eat their fancy-pants pierogies. Our foot cavalry prefer salt pork, hard tack with protein-rich weevils, and peanuts. Copious quantities of tobacco and bourbon after such are found to be salubrious as well. :gardavou:

Captain_Orso

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Jim-NC wrote:On pierogies, after frying in butter, add sauteed onions (fried in butter), and sauteed green peppers.

Dang-it-all, you're making me hungry, Jim Image

Jim-NC wrote:Butter makes everything better. :thumbsup:

Yup, even rum :blink:

Bet you wouldn't try to deep-fry that :wacko:

lodilefty

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Remember, the lesser of all weevils will be the best for you! :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Stauffenberg
General

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:50 pm

lodilefty wrote:Remember, the lesser of all weevils will be the best for you! :D

lol well said.
(with a nod to the fine film Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World:thumbsup :)

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:57 pm

lodilefty wrote:Remember, the lesser of all weevils will be the best for you! :D

Grooaaaaaannnnn!

Jim-NC

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:30 pm

This thread has been completely hi-jacked at this point. Maybe we should call it "Why does everybody love food?"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:08 pm

On a side note. . . .being born and raised in St.Louis, I find myself attached to both sides of this war. . . . which I guess was pretty common at that time as well.
Pour it into em boys! Give em the Cold Steel!

Jorje Vidrio
Corporal

"The Civil War" by Victory Games

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:34 am

Mickey3D wrote:A very long time ago I used to play wargames (the ones with paper map and cardboard counters) and liked very much "The Civil War" by Victory Games. AACW is the only computer game that give me the same and even better enjoyment (PBEM, better fog of war, various unit types, ...).

I completely agree! I still have my copy of Victory Games "The Civil War". It was by far the best strategic board wargame of the Civil War.

AACW is the closest computer game to this old classic and its better! No huge map and stacks of cardboard counters to fall down or be destroyed by the cat! :mdr:

HMSWarspite
Private

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:24 pm

oberst_klink wrote:t'was Athena... I seem to be the only one playing the USA vs. CSA, uh? Aren't there ANY Yankees here? :w00t:

I am still playing USA vs Athena. I thought I would start by doing the attacking because AI is usually rubbish at it. Also, work out how to use the sledgehammer before you have to use the fencing foil!

Just captured Richmond in April 1862 - AI has just captured Chicago, having done a major offensive in Ohio, but other than the issues that having been cut in half will cause, I think I have this one nailed... The CS armies in the east are trapped in Fredricksburg... worth the swap I think (as I dont need to be re-elected!)

Not seen Athena do something this silly before, but the offensive in the west was a surprise. I have played 4 or 6 games, making mistakes and restarting (my favorite was losing Butler and 35000 failing to capture New Orleans :) )

Will try the CSA soon.
I know: wrong war, wrong country, wrong century. But she's my favourite:nuts:

Jekolmy
Conscript

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:56 am

As a newish player of this game I've generally stuck with the Federals even if I have yet to actually complete a single game yet due to all sorts of stuff in and out of game.

Jim-NC

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:00 am

Hello Jekolmy, and welcome to the forums. AACW is a great game, and the forums here are a great place to learn about the game.

Enjoy your stay.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 am

Hello Jekolmy, and welcome to the forums. AACW is a great game, and the forums here are a great place to learn about the game.

Enjoy your stay.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jekolmy
Conscript

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:14 am

Jim-NC wrote:Hello Jekolmy, and welcome to the forums. AACW is a great game, and the forums here are a great place to learn about the game.

Enjoy your stay.

Thank you. I'm finding this to be a rather complex game with quite a bit of a learning curve... but that in itself keeps drawing me back after I've abandoned a game for whatever reason. I'm used to the complexity of Paradox games, but this is new (even if the big reason I bought the game was a Paradox name on the box) :)

gchristie
Brigadier General

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:48 am

Jekolmy wrote:(even if the big reason I bought the game was a Paradox name on the box) :)

Now that is welcome news! Could be this partnership is working for AGEOD and Paradox both.

Welcome to the game and welcome to the forum.

Altaris

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:24 pm

AGEOD is owned by Paradox France, IIRC. I think they bought them 2-3 years ago. All the AGEOD stuff is on the Paradox forums under Paradox France.

I think Paradox is basically just the publisher, all the actual development is done by AGEOD.

Having once been a Paradox fanboi, I'd say AGEOD games will appeal to most Paradox fans. Similar style and scale, about the same level of complexity. But I think AGEOD games are in general better designed, and having a fantastic PBEM setup definitely gives them my votes.

In short, if you like games on the scope of Hearts of Iron, Victoria, etc, you should thoroughly enjoy AGEOD games. And AACW is the best of the AGEOD games.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:22 pm

I wonder why AGEOD does not have a WWII game using this game engine? I'd love to get that!

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Waiting on this. . . I am.
Pour it into em boys! Give em the Cold Steel!

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”