Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wacky Pathing Issue

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:41 am

I'm hoping the astute crew that reads and comments on this post can help me with this wacky pathing problem.

I'm moving Thomas' division in Tennessee. The first part of the move is from Gibson TN into Dyer TN via rail. It takes 1 day. No problem with this part.

Then I want to move Thomas one more region, into Haywood TN (the one with Brownsville). It's adjacent, has a long border and the railroad is clearly depicted connecting it with Dyer TN. Note that the popup says it will take me 9 days to enter this one, because I don't have control to use the railroad.

However, when I try to actually move Thomas into Haywood, I get the following path.

Note that Thomas pops all over the place, going through Van Dorn to get into Haywood, which is something I'd prefer to avoid. I can't figure out why Thomas can't move directly from Dyer into Haywood.

Comments?

Jim-NC

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:00 am

My guess (and it's only a guess), is that the terrain is "better" from Madison. You will note that the move to Madison is 3 days by rail (apparently you can use rail movement to Madison), and then 9 days from Madison to Haywood. I would guess that the move from Dyer to Madison is 11+ days. The computer is attempting to use what it considers the fastest method. I would say Dyer has mud, and Madison is clear, which is why the computer shows what it does.

To avoid this, try using the shift arrow as you move each region.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SleeStak
Corporal

Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:18 am

I think using the shift key forces your unit to follow the exact path you set. Hold down the shift key down and move your unit territory by territory and they should follow the path you set. This allows you to move a unit into a territory and then back into its starting territory in one turn for example.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:06 am

I don't know if I was supposed to read that thread, but no sweat, can treat that ooc.

SleeStak is most likely right, unless there is some zoc issue with Van Dorn.

If it's wise to move dem Yankee boots onto Tennessee soil... now that's another question.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:10 pm

I agree with Jim. The computer tries to choose the shortest path based on terrain and weather in each region. :)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:48 pm

No, Madison is also Mud.

When I hold the Shift key down while moving Thomas from Dyer to Haywood, I still get the "detour" through Madison County (must be the bridges, harhar). I should have mentioned that I had tried that already as it usually works.

For what it's worth, Grant will move from Dyer to Madison without difficulty IF I march him.His cost to enter is 11 days (not 9) and there is apparently a 5 day extra movement cost to cross the river, for a total cost to Grant of 16 days. If I use rail movement instead, his total cost is 13 days and he also routes through Madison county, even if I hold down the Shift key while moving him.

Apparently it's not possible (at least in this case) to move via rail directly from Dyer to Madison.

I'm stumped on this one. :bonk:

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:55 pm

Citizen X wrote:I don't know if I was supposed to read that thread, but no sweat, can treat that ooc.

SleeStak is most likely right, unless there is some zoc issue with Van Dorn.

If it's wise to move dem Yankee boots onto Tennessee soil... now that's another question.

No sweat about you reading this. I mean, you'll see the results as soon as I send the turn anyway, and (ahem!) there's nothing you can do to stop me. (BURN!) :niark:

lodilefty

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Eamining the region files:

There is a RR between 559Dyer and 570Haywood, but there is also a Minor River crossing, which will add 2 to movement of anything will wheels.

JumpLink0 = 558|17
JumpLink1 = 805|18
[color="red"]JumpLink2 = 570|17[/color]
JumpLink3 = 574|17
TransLink0 = 560|1
[color="red"]TransLink1 = 570|1[/color]

Don't know if/why the shift drag doesn't override it, but IIRC that may only help with a "circuit" back to the origin region....

Thus, the "pathing distance" is ~ same either way, and the engine appears to take the path with more rail (causes less cohesion loss)

Need some help here from [color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Hocus Pocus[/size][/color]
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:13 pm

thanks, I appreciate your effort to look at the underlying reason

cobraII
Captain

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:58 pm

the reason you cannot rail into that region is because confederates have 100 percent military control you need a minimum of 25 percent military control i believe for rail ability.
Quote General Lee Gettysburg movie,
"Do you see, General, there is the great trap, to be a good soldier you must love the army, to be a good commander you must be ready to order the death of the thing you love. We don't fear our death. But if this war goes on and on and the men die and the price gets ever high. We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us. We are adrift here in a sea of blood and I want it to end. I want this to be the final battle".

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:23 am

Cobra, my problem wasn't that I couldn't RAIL in there... I simply could not MOVE into the region... at least not directly. Thanks, tho!

cobraII
Captain

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:17 am

yeah i read that right afterwards and saw that you said you knew that, lol
Quote General Lee Gettysburg movie,

"Do you see, General, there is the great trap, to be a good soldier you must love the army, to be a good commander you must be ready to order the death of the thing you love. We don't fear our death. But if this war goes on and on and the men die and the price gets ever high. We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us. We are adrift here in a sea of blood and I want it to end. I want this to be the final battle".

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”