GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mods to dream of

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:08 pm

I could probably do OK as a modder, have enough skill, but am too lazy or won't take the time. Some cool stuff, though, would be:

* A more 'realistic' or 'historical' Draft/Mobl'z routine/path.

* A mod where Lee accepts command of the entire US Army in April of 61.

* A mod where Napoleon III goes barking mad and declares war on the US in the spring of 62.

* The Union player can trigger FI as desired.

* Scheduling Monitor and any ironclad builds for Mar62, not before - both sides.

* I'm sorry, I've beaten this one to death, but an Industrialization component that actually is a worthwhile option that can make a difference, especially for the South, wherein, if they are very, very good at the front, then a modest commitment to Industrializing pays huge dividends.

* Having Signal units do a bit more, like perhaps increasing MTSG probabilities. Have Engineers perhaps speed up the column's march speed a tad, or nullify or reduce the speed penalty for Arty units.

* Have Pinkerton or Belle Boyd be a tad more useful.

* Reduce FoW a bit for the Union in certain circumstances, to reflect the intelligence reaped by slaves who informed.

* Deliberately making Cohesion hits or Supply problems for Southern irregulars horribly debilitating when north of the Ohio or Potomac, except perhaps southern IL and IN, and parts of MD. The Loyalty matrix of rules isn't a bad approach, but under the present structure, it's much too easy for Jesse James to tear up tracks in Springfield, IL and still carry on with little to fear from the oppo - the guerillas will be stopped sooner by Supply than Union cavalry.

Just some ideas from a fellow with a keyboard.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Ol' Choctaw

Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:29 pm

There were southern militias operating in Missouri, Kansas, and Indian Territories in 1860. Lyons capture of one of them outside St. Louis sparked the St. Louis Massacre.

Engineers should help cross-country movement a tad bit and reduce winter attrition somewhat.

Intelligence gained from slaves was not all that good. They feared the north as much as almost anyone else. This was not without cause as their treatment was often worse in northern hands than where they had come from.

Just some random thoughts on what you said, is all.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Yes, MO, KS and OK, not Columbus, OH.

Southern irregulars should be whacked severely for operations in IL, IN, OH, PA, DE. Again, the Loyalty rules and restrictions are not a bad effort, but I think maybe the irregulars (not true Cav or other regulars) should be mightily discouraged by circumstance.

The St. Albans, VT raid was by CSA regular Army people, AFAIK, not irregulars.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Ol' Choctaw

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:55 pm

GraniteStater wrote:Yes, MO, KS and OK, not Columbus, OH.

Southern irregulars should be whacked severely for operations in IL, IN, OH, PA, DE. Again, the Loyalty rules and restrictions are not a bad effort, but I think maybe the irregulars (not true Cav or other regulars) should be mightily discouraged by circumstance.

The St. Albans, VT raid was by CSA regular Army people, AFAIK, not irregulars.

Well, as far as escaped prisoners goes.

I don’t know that they would be looked on as much more than bushwhackers so far as the game goes.

They sure didn’t have a general leading them and they came out of Canada.

I think most people would have a fit if that happened.
:mdr:

OneArmedMexican
General

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Some of your ideas could be implemented with a very modest amount of work. You could easily do it by yourself:

GraniteStater wrote:I could probably do OK as a modder, have enough skill, but am too lazy or won't take the time. Some cool stuff, though, would be:

create a mdl and a unit file for Lee as Northern general, change the alias files accordingly, write a spawn Lee event and remove the CSA events concerning Lee.

GraniteStater wrote:* Scheduling Monitor and any ironclad builds for Mar62, not before - both sides.

Change the unitpool in the event files.

These are just some examples. Really a lot of things in ACW are rather easy to mod.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Ol' Choctaw wrote:Well, as far as escaped prisoners goes.

I don’t know that they would be looked on as much more than bushwhackers so far as the game goes.

They sure didn’t have a general leading them and they came out of Canada.

I think most people would have a fit if that happened.
:mdr:

Well, I must confess that my major source material is a Van Heflin movie from the Wayback Machine.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:17 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:Some of your ideas could be implemented with a very modest amount of work. You could easily do it by yourself:

create a mdl and a unit file for Lee as Northern general, change the alias files accordingly, write a spawn Lee event and remove the CSA events concerning Lee.

Change the unitpool in the event files.

These are just some examples. Really a lot of things in ACW are rather easy to mod.

Thanks! I'll bookmark this.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:20 pm

GraniteStater wrote:I could probably do OK as a modder, have enough skill, but am too lazy or won't take the time. Some cool stuff, though, would be:

* A more 'realistic' or 'historical' Draft/Mobl'z routine/path.

* A mod where Napoleon III goes barking mad and declares war on the US in the spring of 62.

* The Union player can trigger FI as desired.

* Scheduling Monitor and any ironclad builds for Mar62, not before - both sides.

* I'm sorry, I've beaten this one to death, but an Industrialization component that actually is a worthwhile option that can make a difference, especially for the South, wherein, if they are very, very good at the front, then a modest commitment to Industrializing pays huge dividends.

* Having Signal units do a bit more, like perhaps increasing MTSG probabilities. Have Engineers perhaps speed up the column's march speed a tad, or nullify or reduce the speed penalty for Arty units.

* Have Pinkerton or Belle Boyd be a tad more useful.

* Reduce FoW a bit for the Union in certain circumstances, to reflect the intelligence reaped by slaves who informed.

* Deliberately making Cohesion hits or Supply problems for Southern irregulars horribly debilitating when north of the Ohio or Potomac, except perhaps southern IL and IN, and parts of MD. The Loyalty matrix of rules isn't a bad approach, but under the present structure, it's much too easy for Jesse James to tear up tracks in Springfield, IL and still carry on with little to fear from the oppo - the guerillas will be stopped sooner by Supply than Union cavalry.

Just some ideas from a fellow with a keyboard.

I think those are some great ideas. If Lee accepts command of the U.S. Army and he dresses in navy blue... wow! :w00t: Just thinking about Grant and Lee together produces chills. The idea of signal units is also very interesting. :thumbsup:

Anyway, If you decide to do it, here you have your first supporter! :love: :p ompom: :p ompom:

Cheers! ;)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nikel

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:29 pm

GraniteStater wrote:* A mod where Lee accepts command of the entire US Army in April of 61.

Hope they are useful ;)

[ATTACH]15627[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15626[/ATTACH]

Edit: darker blue

[ATTACH]15629[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15630[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Army_USA_RELee2.png
Unit_USA_RELee2.png
Unit_USA_RELee2.png (10.48 KiB) Viewed 6793 times
Unit_USA_RELee.png
Unit_USA_RELee.png (65.83 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
Army_USA_RELee.png

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:58 pm

Cool pictures, Nikel! :w00t: :coeurs: :happyrun:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Geez, might hafta t'do it.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Nikel

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Ethan wrote:Cool pictures, Nikel! :w00t: :coeurs: :happyrun:

Perhaps a bit light the blue uniform, but he would never be completely blue, would he? :D

Nikel

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:19 pm

GraniteStater wrote:Geez, might hafta t'do it.

Whoz? ;)

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Nikel wrote:Perhaps a bit light the blue uniform, but he would never be completely blue, would he? :D

If Lee accepts the charge, I even would accept that he wears shorts and t-shirt! :mdr:

Greetings! ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:24 am

Nikel wrote:Whoz? ;)

The Lee one seems pretty straightforward. Have to do some homework and bone up.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:50 am

:p ompom: :p ompom:¡¡Gra-ni-te-Sta-ter!! :p ompom: :p ompom: ¡¡Gra-ni-te-Sta-ter!! :p ompom: :p ompom: ¡¡Gra-ni-te-Sta-ter!!

¡¡Modding!! ¡¡Modding!! ¡¡Modding!! :thumbsup: ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:05 am

deleted

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:59 am

Ethan wrote: :p ompom: :p ompom:¡¡Gra-ni-te-Sta-ter!! :p ompom: :p ompom: ¡¡Gra-ni-te-Sta-ter!! :p ompom: :p ompom: ¡¡Gra-ni-te-Sta-ter!!

¡¡Modding!! ¡¡Modding!! ¡¡Modding!! :thumbsup: ;)

I am reaching schedule breakdown, though - job hunting, finishing up some online coursework, two PBEMs, a wife, and a twenty year old stepdaughter.

Not to mention complete neglect of music and guitar, and I haven't read a serious work in months.

It starting to get hectic...

oh, well, the Red Sox are looking purty darn good.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:49 am

No problem. If you ever decide to do it, let us know. :)

Regards! :hat:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”