Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Leaders and guns as battle survivors

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:27 pm

Any idea why leaders and guns seem to survive even the most catastrophic defeats? I lost an army of three divisions nearly wholesale when they were cut off in Va. Butler, three division commanders, and 11 batteries returned, but no infantry. Now I can certainly see a general (especially Butler) to make sure he's the first out of the trouble, but would infantry sacrifice itself to save the guns? Experience would say it's rather vice-versa, i.e. guns covering the retreat. And in any case guns are cumbersome to move and would easily be lost in a rout, while infantry should get away more easily. Afterall the grunts can walk, guns need to be dragged.

Odd? :confused:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

captain curruthers
Sergeant

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:05 pm

not all troop losses are casualties.many will be from desertions after a major defeat.gun batteries cant 'go home to moma' but the troops can

Jim-NC

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 pm

I believe it has to do with the order of casualties taken. IIRC - In the game, the infantry gets attacked 1st. The Artillery only gets attacked after all the infantry is removed. Therefore, it is very hard (almost impossible) to destroy artillery.

I have seen this results numerous times as well. After a massacre, I will have a division with 4/5 artillery units and a general. The best part, is that the artillery is usually completely untouched. After a while, infantry trickles in via replacements. It looks really weird to see nothing but artillery in a stack.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Game exploit: Your divisions will receive one replacement regiment per turn. However, if you divide it into brigades (beware: any brigades that have been totally destroyed will be removed if you do this), then EACH BRIGADE gets one replacement regiment. However, as mentioned, any brigades that don't have attached artillery in this circumstance will be deleted, but only if you separate the division. If you leave the division intact, it will build itself back up to strength over a dozen or so turns.

blackbird
Sergeant

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Any idea why leaders and guns seem to survive even the most catastrophic defeats?
Odd? :confused:

I'm wondering the same question, albeit from the other side ;) I keep hoping to kill or wound the leader and capture the canon, but in this case, I get the opposite. I have the force surrounded, outnumbered, outcommanded and still, no matter how many times I go back and try the different battle settings, the leader escapes and the canon die :( I did capture the supply wagons though :)
Any recommendations on how to solve this would be appreciated.
Attachments
guns.jpg

Jim-NC

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 am

The leader only dies if the "die" roll is high enough. Even if you destroy all his forces, he usually only comes out wounded. You have to get the correct roll to kill the general (which BTW is rather hard to do).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:44 am

Killing the general is separate from the destruction of forces. It is possible for an army leader to die in a skirmish while the annihilation of a corps deep behind enemy lines may simply result in the leaders being wounded. It all depends on a die roll, as Jim mentioned. A game quirk is that wounded leaders (especially Raphael Semmes) can wind up in non-playable territory, in which case they are DOA (activation).

Pocus

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05 am

Yes it is true, the guns are support elements so are generally protected from enemy fire until there is no more 'line' elements. So when there is a retreat, most of the guns survive... I know it can be weird but that would be difficult to reverse the logic of targeting just for retreat BUT :)

guns can be destroyed by the damages incurred when there is retreat ... so you have to optimize these damages dealt, by adding more cavalry. Also guns will take more damages in this case, this is factored: elements get more damages when they are not 'nimble' (it is deduced from several stats).

so I would say, add more cav or light units...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Redeemer
Major

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Pocus wrote:Yes it is true, the guns are support elements so are generally protected from enemy fire until there is no more 'line' elements. So when there is a retreat, most of the guns survive... I know it can be weird but that would be difficult to reverse the logic of targeting just for retreat BUT :)

guns can be destroyed by the damages incurred when there is retreat ... so you have to optimize these damages dealt, by adding more cavalry. Also guns will take more damages in this case, this is factored: elements get more damages when they are not 'nimble' (it is deduced from several stats).

so I would say, add more cav or light units...

That is a bit odd, no? Most guns captured in the Civil War were done so by infantry on the battle field.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:35 am

Redeemer wrote:That is a bit odd, no? Most guns captured in the Civil War were done so by infantry on the battle field.

Yes, but then the ACW was an infantry fight above all. For my understanding cavalry was under-used during much of the ACW. In fact, until late in the war Civil War armies were unusually short of cavalry, compared to European standards. If these armies had had enough cavalry and used it well, they would certainly have taken the guns from a retreating enemy. ;)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)

[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]

American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”