Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:35 am

soundoff wrote:An easy thing to do as IMHO this site is infested with honest players :thumbsup:

I'm one of the dishonest ones. Here I am profiting from all of Gray's hard work, and I don't pay him a cent. I feel like a thief.

Gray_Lensman

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:55 pm

deleted

Redeemer
Major

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:21 pm

The CSA did have some artillery in some of their brigades, but it wasn't necessarily the norm. For the USA, artillery were mostly grouped in brigades at the division level early, with an army and corp reserve later, at least in the AoP.

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Just a thought:

How good is Athena at recruiting stand alone artillery? This may be a reason for inclusion in brigades also artillery survives better thus keeping a brigade in play to fill up on replacements.

S!

arsan

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:19 pm

Eugene Carr wrote:Just a thought:

How good is Athena at recruiting stand alone artillery? This may be a reason for inclusion in brigades also artillery survives better thus keeping a brigade in play to fill up on replacements.

S!

A good point! :coeurs:
This should be also considered :sherlock:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:31 pm

I certainly agree that there should be fewer mixed brigades that have the embedded cavalry elements. Sometimes you're stuck with divisions that have 3 cavalry regiments when you COULD be filling those slots with slightly more useful infantry and/or artillery.

And a quick note...I want to take a line to thank Gray for all his hard work on the game. Truly, if it weren't for some of his dedicated (and quite uncompensated) programming...this game would not be what it is...the best ACW gaming experience in existence.

Thanks Gray. I get the notion you feel a little underappreciated lately...and I want to you know that this old sod appreciates the hell out of your work. :hat:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

MVDH
Private

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:17 pm

Banks6060 wrote:I certainly agree that there should be fewer mixed brigades that have the embedded cavalry elements. Sometimes you're stuck with divisions that have 3 cavalry regiments when you COULD be filling those slots with slightly more useful infantry and/or artillery.

And a quick note...I want to take a line to thank Gray for all his hard work on the game. Truly, if it weren't for some of his dedicated (and quite uncompensated) programming...this game would not be what it is...the best ACW gaming experience in existence.

Thanks Gray. I get the notion you feel a little underappreciated lately...and I want to you know that this old sod appreciates the hell out of your work. :hat:

I second this appreciation even if I have had the game for only a month but many of Gray's posts have been extremely helpful in my education of this wonderful game. And yes, it is THE ACW gaming experience. :thumbsup:

Mark

Clovis

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Eugene Carr wrote:Just a thought:

S!

Not bad. AI is building artillery and dispatching batteries among divisions.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

cptcav
Lieutenant

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:47 pm

I must say that having just read this thread, Gray has taken away my ambition to learn how to mod the game. It appears that all I have to do is wait long enough and he will incorporate my desires into the game! :thumbsup:

Thank you,
CptCav

kwhitehead
Sergeant

Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:27 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:After doing some additional research, the inclusion of artillery elements is not so bad at the game designed brigade level, but the Cavalry elements were mostly controlled at the divisional level and above, even early in the war.

True for early in the war but by the end of 62 the artillery was attached at the division and Corps level for both sides. But the game really doesn't represent brigades anyway. The so called brigades that are purchased through the reinforcement screen are demi-brigades. It would be more logical to remove these imbedded artillery elements which mostly represent little infantry support pop guns (less than 10lb) that were melted down for recasting in 1862. If someone wanted to have the equivalent of an early mixed brigade they could use two demi-brigades plus a artillery unit.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:37 am

kwhitehead wrote:True for early in the war but by the end of 62 the artillery was attached at the division and Corps level for both sides. But the game really doesn't represent brigades anyway. The so called brigades that are purchased through the reinforcement screen are demi-brigades. It would be more logical to remove these imbedded artillery elements which mostly represent little infantry support pop guns (less than 10lb) that were melted down for recasting in 1862. If someone wanted to have the equivalent of an early mixed brigade they could use two demi-brigades plus a artillery unit.

And if someone wanted the equivalent of a full size brigade they could use two demi-brigades. ;)

IMHO this is one of those "If it ain't broke..." situations. The AI handles them well, and if they ruin your immersion that much you can play Clovis' mod.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Gray_Lensman

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:38 am

deleted

cptcav
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:45 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:This is one of those issues, I have way on the back burner...

Like I said, all I have to do is wait long enough.

Regards,
CptCav

Rafiki

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 pm

cptcav wrote:Like I said, all I have to do is wait long enough.

Priceless! :D

Gray's dedication to the game is indeed astounding :thumbsup:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:59 pm

deleted

kwhitehead
Sergeant

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:08 am

soloswolf wrote:And if someone wanted the equivalent of a full size brigade they could use two demi-brigades. ;)

IMHO this is one of those "If it ain't broke..." situations. The AI handles them well, and if they ruin your immersion that much you can play Clovis' mod.

I haven't got far enough to branch out into mods. Got to learn the basic game first.

I have no problem with ignoring the 6 pounders are there, it just surprised me for such an obvious historical error to get embedded in the game considering the extreme amount of detail covered.

I say historical error because 6 lb guns were only included in batteries before the Civil War. When McClellan took command of what was called then the Division of the Potomac in July 1861 ther were only 14 six pounders among its 55 guns. The game has McDowell with 108 six pounders. Must have lost a bunch at First Bull Run (actually none of the six pounders were lost, he started the battle with 14). By October 1862 the Army of the Potomac had no 6 lb guns among its 321 artillery pieces (the smallest was the 10 pound Parrotts).

Gray_Lensman

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:23 am

deleted

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”