asdicus
Sergeant

State populations vs conscripts available

Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:06 am

The population levels of the various states in the civil war vary widely yet in the game most of the southern states each produce the same number of conscripts every turn. For instance Tenessee has a pop of around 1.1million(830k free) while Florida is say 140k(80k free) - yet each state produces 2 conscripts a turn. Why? Surely conscript levels should be related to the actual population base ? Also this would make capturing Tennessee far more important to the union than taking Florida - at the moment both states produce the same amount of manpower for the south.

Kentucky seems to be an anomaly in that there is no city at the start of the april 61 scenario producing conscipts for the north. Lexington produces +1 for csa - thus the state total is only +1 - this is for a state of over 1million pop. By contrast Missouri the other mixed alignment state has 2 cities producing +1 conscripts - one each for north and south. I think that Louisville should produce +1 conscript for the north - this would then make the state produce +2 total which would correlate to most other states in the game.

Micah Goodman
Corporal

Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:51 am

I don't think that you can go soley off a states population for available units. I think you also need to look at what the percentage of a states total population versus the troops that were actually raised as well. I am not sure but I would not be suprised if there was a higher percentage of men under arms versus the state population for a state like Virginia versus a state like Texas.

Virginia was under constant threat of invasion by the north where as the union only occupied Galveston, Sabine Pass and maybe one or two other small areas of the state of Texas during the war. I do think the number of troops that can be raised in the far west is to high for both north and south but historic fact could prove me wrong. However, you raise an interseting point. Perhaps someone with more facts could look into this issue to see if this needs to be addressed.

FM WarB
Colonel

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:21 am

Do conscripts arrive in their supposed states of origin?

Gray_Lensman

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:44 am

deleted

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:19 pm

asdicus wrote:... each state produces 2 conscripts a turn. ..

Kentucky seems to be an anomaly in that there is no city at the start of the april 61 scenario producing conscipts for the north. Lexington produces +1 for csa - thus the state total is only +1 - this is for a state of over 1million pop. ...

In fact, all CSA cities (apart from Richmond) produce 1 base Conscript per turn, not 2.

The 2 mensual production is not the real value.

Base Value is increased by +/- 50% due to city LOYALTY.
Kentucky or Missouri are not special, just they have not a 100% loyalty.

National Morale can also add some % -> At Morale 110, you have an extra +5%.

As a final comment, in the initial April 61 campaign all CSA recruitment cities with a base 1 production are producing in fact 2, due to rounding to the NEAREST.

So a Base 1 City with a 100% loyalty has a 50% bonus, so 1,5 rounded to 2

Jabberwock

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Micah Goodman wrote:I don't think that you can go soley off a states population for available units. I think you also need to look at what the percentage of a states total population versus the troops that were actually raised as well.

Florida had the lowest population of any Confederate state. It sent the least troops into the Confederate Army, but it still sent the highest percentage of it's population. I saw a good reference on this back in September, and will try to re-locate it.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Jabberwock

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:57 pm

Civil War High Commands by John & David Eicher

State Populations (1860) - pp. 5-6
State Militias (1860) - p. 45
Union enrollments and casualties by state - pp. 47-54, 62

Coffee Sergeant
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:55 pm

You need to look at % of males of military age as well. I don't know if thats going to be much different state-to-state, but I wouldn't be surprised if say, California and other states in the West had a much higher %.

Jabberwock

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:46 am

page 6 - also takes slave population into account

high: California - 44.8%
low: South Carolina - 7.8%

Barker
Major

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:19 am

Hmmm interesting concept but let me throw in a wrench...what about the 13-16 year olds who went their fathers place? Whe you start getting into the finer logistics of this I think it detracts from the game as a whole...for example take into account the states population then the actual figure for volunteers the state conscription then men just showing up...stragglers, the sick then the wounded that came back into the line dies that effect the +1 conscript to 1.125 then over time it rounds up to +2 then when that happens the war is over. Just my opinion

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”