John Buford
Civilian

Cavalry Brigades ?

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi I am new of the game. So I could ask sometinng that you have already dealt with.
1) Some of the units appears as a single regiment instead as a brigade: Cavalry, Militia, Sharpshooters, Zouaves, US Infantry ecc.
I have noticed that some of this unit can be merged to form a brigade size unit. I have made several experiments but I haven't understood the "rule" . Could you tell me that ? They must be unit from the same state , type, level of experince or improvement or what ever? Is i possible to do it only with the militia units ?

2) I would like to form a cavalry brigade merging several cavalry regiment and may be (if it is possible) a horse artillery battery or two. Is it possible to do it or I have to form a Cavalry division?

3) what are the advantages to add a leader to a single brigade unit?

Thank you for your answers

John Buford
Civilian

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:16 pm

An update.

I have made some more tests and I see that I can mix regular with Militia and Volunteers, regiments with brigades, different elements under a one star leader as a single brigade commander, and even units from different states. All of this apparently without a logic.
I am even more confused.

Le Ricain

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:49 pm

The basic brigade unit is a two element unit. Single regiment brigades ban be merged to form the two element unit. The most common use is to merge militia regiments as this frees up the merged regiment to be rebuilt.

Apart from the militia brigade, I do not use brigade creation much. The key to AACW is the division and I tend to focus on building useful ones. I leave it to other forumites to advise you on the nuances of the brigade syhstem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

eleven_west
Corporal

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:56 pm

You can create divisions by mixing different brigades (up to 17 elements in any division I believe pls correct me if I'm wrong) The general has to be activated for the create a division button to be activated.
There is a rumored optimum which is 11 infantry elements, 1 cav, 1 sharpshooter, and 4 artillery in each division. But this is just an optimal configuration, you can actually have a division full of cav or full of infantry or whatever combination you like. State of origin doesn't really matter or confer any bonuses (at least I believe not - again someone correct me if I'm wrong)

You can also create a "smaller" unit by merging a general with a single brigade with as many elements as the brigade has. This unit doesn't have division costs or command penalties, but understandably it's a much weaker unit than a division. The positive side is that it still gets the commander bonuses, if any, in battle.

I also know that you can merge 2 militia elements into 1 brigade at any time without cost. I haven't ever tried to merge any other 2 single elements to be honest, I usually tend to add them to divisions which are by all means the superior way to organize your armies in this game.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:12 pm

If you form two militia units into a brigade they eventually beome two line units that cost only one CP as opposed to two CPs. Therefore it's in your best interest to merge. They cant be split after merger however.

Ive also found that some fairly powerful 3+ element brigades can be commanded by a single leader (2CP) so keep an eye out for those event reinforcements.
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Stugots
Conscript

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:00 am

So let me get this straight u can merge seprate infrantry elements into a new 2 element infantry bde? Always wondered about this. Cause alot of times i have milita that get trained into conscripts and would like to make them a bde. Once they are trained i have them join with some of my bigger armies, corps, and divisons at the front.

And by merging i hope u dont mean just in the same stack. I mean making a new bde like the ones u can pay for that have names. As in Stonewall bde, Holmes bde, Bonhams bde, and so on.

Rafiki

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:21 am

Let's see if I can clear things up a bit :)
  • Each element (regiment) is part of a unit (brigade).
  • There are also divisions, which are a special kind of unit, but let's leave them out of this for now to keep things simple
  • Each unit has a setup (TO&E) that defines which elements it can consist of, both when it comes to number of units (ranging from 1 to 7) and which types of elements those can be.
  • Some units will enter play (either through events or when you build them) with empty element slots, i.e. they have room for more elements than they currently have. Militia brigades are a well-known example of this, since they usually enter with one militia element while having room for two militia elements
  • You can merge units as long as at least one of the units you are attempting to merge has enough empty slots and of the right types to accomodate all the other units you want to merge into this.
  • The easiest way to see the setup of a unit is to select at least two units (ctrl-click) and then hover your mouse over the "merge"-buttton; a tooltip will appear detailing the setups of the units you have selected

Jabberwock once made an overview of the various intricacies and possibilities with unit merging: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=69220#post69220
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Stugots
Conscript

Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks that link for the previous post by Jabber cleared things up for me. Seems like it pretty rare that u can merge some of these.

Im sure its probaly not in the coding of the game but it sure would be nice to create custom bde as to make your divison excatly as u would like. Like as in that rumored perfect divison of 1 sharpshooter, 11 line infantry, 4 arty, and 1 cav. Although that div configuration maybe easier accomplished as the union than confederates.

Jarkko
Colonel

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:55 am

Stugots wrote:Like as in that rumored perfect divison of 1 sharpshooter, 11 line infantry, 4 arty, and 1 cav.

I am going to challenge the rumour, altough it is an ok set-up for an independent division fighting in widlerness where it is difficult to drag artillery to ;) Oh, it's quite a historical set-up (I believe), but not very efficient in game terms.

Artillery is the King. Even in AACW. If you want to kill stuff that is, and not just make them retreat.

As long as there is enough meat in front to protect the artillery in an assault phase, the artillery rules the day. I've played around a bit with the excel sheets and solitaire testing the game, and I can say with quite a confidence that the most effective division line up is 1 sharpshooter, 8 infantry elements and 8 artillery (the longer range the better) elements.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:42 pm

The other little known fact in forming divisions is that 4+ elements of cav present will help inflict greater casualties on the enemy when they route and also helps with the hide value of the force.
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Jarkko
Colonel

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:55 pm

Daxil wrote:The other little known fact in forming divisions is that 4+ elements of cav present will help inflict greater casualties on the enemy when they route and also helps with the hide value of the force.

According to my testing you will cause more casulties by taking 4 artillery elements instead of the 4 cavalry elements.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Moriety
Major

Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:06 pm

I've been unable to combine the starting Union regular regiments (found mainly in the West of the map) and called 1st US, 2nd US etc. Does anyone know what I can combine them with if any?

Rafiki

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:50 pm

Check the following thread (and in particular the specific post): http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=69220#post69220 and see if anything works for your situation :)

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Moriety
Major

Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:01 pm

Rafiki wrote:Check the following thread (and in particular the specific post): http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=69220#post69220 and see if anything works for your situation :)

Hi Rafiki,

Thanks for the reply. I have that handy guide on my desk top already! :)
The only reference to these pre-existing regular army infantry regiments is about being led. I've not been able to work out if they can attached to elite units but I've been unable to attach militia and raised and trained "militia into infantry" units to them. They also will not combine with each other, so unless I've missed something, I'm stumped :)
(I've not tried with a Zouave or a sailor yet however)

Rafiki

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:47 pm

To see what it can combine with, you need to know the fulll-strength TO&E for the unit in question; If you select 2 or more units and then hover your mouse over the "combine" special order button, you get to see the maxed-out TO&E's of the units you have selected. Obscure, I know, but the most direct way I know of seeing how many elements a unit (brigade) can have and hence what you can combine a given unit with (i.e. provided it isn't already containing as many elements as it already can)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:15 pm

moriety wrote:I've been unable to combine the starting Union regular regiments (found mainly in the West of the map) and called 1st US, 2nd US etc. Does anyone know what I can combine them with if any?

They can combine with sailors. :)
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Moriety
Major

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:47 am

Jabberwock wrote:They can combine with sailors. :)

Damn! Just completed a full-length game and forgot to try it! I did, after being taught in the post by Rafiki about TO&E, hover the mouse and it stated that it was only capable of a single line regiment formation, so I will build a sailor unit on the first turn and send it over to the West, not least as that area needs serious help from the start!
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Jabberwock

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:35 pm

I should've said that sailors can combine with them. The sailor's TO&E has a free slot for line infantry.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Moriety
Major

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:12 pm

Jabberwock wrote:I should've said that sailors can combine with them. The sailor's TO&E has a free slot for line infantry.

That will make quite a powerful combined unit. I'll do that when I start my next game- thanks!
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Barker
Major

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:19 pm

Is there a spreadsheet showing the number of slots for a particular unit..i meant

1st Va line infantry 4 - 3 are taken
27th alabama 3 - 3 taken

etc

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”