doktor57
Corporal

Virginia offensive?

Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:42 am

I am playing the Grand Campaign. It is early August, 1861. During the prior weeks, northern papers called for an immeadiate offensive into Virginia.
I sent two divisions into Manassas. Both came from Fairfax. Additionally,
I sent a brigade in from Prince George's county. After taking the town, and
inflicting several hundred casulties upon the traitorous rebs, I still lost the
10 NM points. What gives?
Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

Gray_Lensman

Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:50 am

deleted

Rafiki

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:53 am

Note that "units" can range from 1-element militia brigades to full 18-element frontline divisions.

(A slightly "gamey" approach would therefore be to split up any divissions you send, since you'll get more units that way ;) )
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pocus

Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:32 pm

This can be amended by a count with subunits, but Gray_Lensman has already his hands rather full shall I say!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Coffee Sergeant
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:13 pm

The "gamey" way to do it is to send a pure calvary force which has good chance of bypassing enemy positions even if they have 100% military control (push "evade combat" ), since calvary doesn't have to switch to offensive posture in those regions, and there are several lines of approach that can be used to get to the regions Gray listed.

Rafiki

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:23 pm

The way it is now, it's all or nothing for the Union; either get your troops next to Richmond or not, where "not" can just as well be laying low behind the Potomac, digging in and awaiting more troops and better generals.

What I'd like to see is more nuance, where the NM loss can be alleviated somewhat by moving towards Richmond, a la

1) Large force at/near Richmond - no NM loss
2) Not 1, but large force at/near Fredericksburg - 5 points NM loss
3) Neither 1 or 2, but large force at/near Manassas - 8 points NM loss
4) None of the above - -10 points NM loss

For instance, e.g. and with details wide open for discussion :)

This event could probably also stand repeating, since I imagine that public opinion in the Union would prefer the Union forces moving on Richmond in general.

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:33 pm

As I stated in a different thread, I think there needs to be a diplomatic layer to the game. Just simply, quests unseen by your opponent. You must capture such amd such by or suffer. It would make this situation a little more clear. It would also eliminate the tendency of some Union players to not attack at all in the East until they have better generals.

AACW2 maybe... :)
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Rafiki

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:39 pm

It's quite possible already, within the current event engine. The "march on Richmond" event is an example of it. What it needs is someone with the time, ability and inclination for it ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:31 pm

deleted

Ayeshteni
Captain

Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:49 pm

When you hover the mouse over the event name in the text/info panel, the roll-over states 'Move into Virginia' (or March into Virginia, can't remember exactly). Can that be changed to 'Threaten Richmond'. This would make it more 'acceptable'. I remember opening a thread on this and being confused about it too.

Thereby the 'triggering' conditions are not changed. Yes, it is still a little vague about what you must do, but it is more accurate than what it currently stands at. At the moment a player thinks he need only invade Virginia, a 'Threaten Richmond' makes it clearer that the CSA Capital itself has to be 'threatened'.

Ayeshteni
"You, O English, who have no right to this Kingdom of France, the King of Heaven orders and commands you through me, Joan the Maid, to leave your fortress and return to your country, and if you do not, so I shall make an uproar that will be perpetually remembered! Behold that I write to you for the third and final time: I shall write to you no further." - Jehanne d'Arc, Orleans 1428

Andriko
Corporal

Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:13 am

Daxil wrote:It would also eliminate the tendency of some Union players to not attack at all in the East until they have better generals.

AACW2 maybe... :)

It's been a while since I studied the Civil War, but if I remember, isn't that basically what the Union did?

Gray_Lensman

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:56 am

deleted

Maqver
Corporal

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:27 am

Should this suffice?

It's now part of the next Historical Accuracy MOD, which will be uploaded in the next few days or so. After that, it'll be in the next "official" update patch.

Thanks for the Feedback.

*Flabbergasted*

Unbelievable. Inconceivable. Dios mio!!

I expected that he would recieve a dial tone or the prefunctory "we'll get back to you."

Awesome.

Caradoc
Corporal

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:58 am

These guys are out of this world with their responses. :thumbsup:

Ayeshteni
Captain

Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:27 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Should this suffice?

It's now part of the next Historical Accuracy MOD, which will be uploaded in the next few days or so. After that, it'll be in the next "official" update patch.

Thanks for the Feedback.

It will suffice indeed. :cool:

Aye.
"You, O English, who have no right to this Kingdom of France, the King of Heaven orders and commands you through me, Joan the Maid, to leave your fortress and return to your country, and if you do not, so I shall make an uproar that will be perpetually remembered! Behold that I write to you for the third and final time: I shall write to you no further." - Jehanne d'Arc, Orleans 1428

Rafiki

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:01 pm

*grabs a bucket of popcorn, leans back and waits for the inevitable "what does 'threaten Richmond' mean?"-questions to start appearing*

:D

However; It should go a long way in clarifying what it actually calls for; nice work, Gray :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:33 am

Richmond, it would be a terrible shame if the entire ANV were to trip and break their kneecaps simultaneously ... :neener:
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Micah Goodman
Corporal

Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:53 am

On a slightly different topic but event related, is theri an event in the works to represent Freemont's removal following his order to seize and free slaves from rebels in Missouri as war contraband?

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”