GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Recent Short Battlefield Tour of Central VA

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Coming back from a visit to Richmond, going to the residence in Annapolis, MD. Stopped by the site of the North Anna action (Grant/Lee, May, '64) and a quick pop-in at Fredericksburg. Had been to neither before.

The North Anna site is apparently maintained by Hanover Cty., VA. Some Civil War Trust signage there. Only had a Chrysler mini-van, so couldn't check it out properly, probably need a pickup or 4 wheels for the unpaved access. Some impressive field works. I would hazard it resembles the landscape of 150 years ago muchly.

This is near Kings Dominion. The last leg is Verdon Road, to the west of US Rte. 1.

A quick hit at F-burg. Went to a park office, which is apparently Marye's Heights.

Marye's Heights. OMFG. Burnside should have been sedated on the spot and relieved for even thinking of assaulting that. It is damn near a 45 degree slope, the wall is about halfway up the hill, and is perfect for defensive cover.

The courage of the troops who tried that is just unbelievable.

That's it for now. I'm still stunned by Fredericksburg.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Recent Short Battlefield Tour of Central VA

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:25 pm

GraniteStater wrote:Coming back from a visit to Richmond, going to the residence in Annapolis, MD. Stopped by the site of the North Anna action (Grant/Lee, May, '64) and a quick pop-in at Fredericksburg. Had been to neither before.

The North Anna site is apparently maintained by Hanover Cty., VA. Some Civil War Trust signage there. Only had a Chrysler mini-van, so couldn't check it out properly, probably need a pickup or 4 wheels for the unpaved access. Some impressive field works. I would hazard it resembles the landscape of 150 years ago muchly.

This is near Kings Dominion. The last leg is Verdon Road, to the west of US Rte. 1.

A quick hit at F-burg. Went to a park office, which is apparently Marye's Heights.

Marye's Heights. OMFG. Burnside should have been sedated on the spot and relieved for even thinking of assaulting that. It is damn near a 45 degree slope, the wall is about halfway up the hill, and is perfect for defensive cover.

The courage of the troops who tried that is just unbelievable.

That's it for now. I'm still stunned by Fredericksburg.

visiting battlefields is always very moving. I live in France and have been to Verdun or Normandie a few times, but 2 years ago I did a cycling trip along the Chemin des dames battlefield (1917), following the ridge at the top of the hill the french tried to conquer and then coming back to Soissons following the river in the valley. Not only you see all the cemeteries and the still wounded and ploughed up land in the forest, but you get to see the gullies going up, the climb they were supposed to do in the mud, the barbed wire and under the fire... You realize the folly of the assault.

Add to that that it was in early december and the hunting season was on, I could here some shots here and there but most movingly I could hear the hunting horn calling the dogs (wild boar / deer hunting).. It was very very moving and terrifying all at once.

DrPostman

Re: Recent Short Battlefield Tour of Central VA

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:19 pm

I've only been to a few: New Market, Vicksburg, Shiloh, and Stone River. I'd like to get to more
once I have some reliable transportation. Can't wait to visit Europe. I'd especially like to see
just how badly they "ruined" Wellington's battlefield and to see what's left of the Maginot forts.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”