1stvermont
Major

Looking for a book

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:01 am

I am looking for a book that would have content on gentleman behavior in the civil war. It has been called the last war between gentlemen. Does anyone know of such a book already written?.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
Southern solider about northern General Sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

Straight Arrow
General

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:34 am

Yep, not many stones left to turn over when it comes to the Civil War.

Here's where you can buy a study of Union honor and behavior on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0814727905/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0814727905&linkCode=as2&tag=stucosuccess-20

Check out this site while you are waiting for it to come in the mail.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/11/12/manly-honor-part-iv-the-gentlemen-and-the-roughs-the-stoic-christian-code-of-honor-in-the-american-north/

Volumes focused on Southern honor and behavior:

Southern Honor: Ethics and Behavior in the Old South by Bertram Wyatt-Brown

Plain Folk of the Old South by Frank Lawrence Owsley

Common Whites: Class and Culture in Antebellum North Carolina by Bill Cecil-Fronsman

Cracker Culture: Celtic Ways in the Old South by Grady McWhiney

Culture Of Honor: The Psychology Of Violence In The South by Richard E Nisbett and Dov Cohen
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.

hanny1
Captain

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:08 am

You have some good recomendations already, but ill add this http://scholarworks.gsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1064&context=english_diss

1stvermont
Major

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:35 am

Thanks guys. But these seem to be more about what was considered gentlemen behavior. I was more looking for examples during the war of such behavior.

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".

James W. Starnes
Corporal

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:05 pm

I would read Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, Company Aytch by Sam Watkins, and Red Badge of Courage by Shelby Foote if you haven't already. Some of the best out there. I ordered this annotated version of Company Aytch that features battle maps and such called "Side Show of the Big Show." You can get it off Amazon for around eight dollars, I got mine for 11 dollars from the U.S. Book Depository (seller on Amazon) so I know it will be in good condition.

1stvermont
Major

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks for the advice, ordered books on the way.

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”