Ironclad
Sergeant

Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:00 pm

Another excellent book is "Jefferson Davis and His Generals: the Failure of Confederate Command in the West" by Steven E Woodworth. This is a very good account of southern strategy, generalship and actions (or inactions) in this critical theatre. Until I read it I hadn't realised what an utter disaster was Davis's choice of his old friend Polk (who happened to be a bishop too) for a vital corps command from the start of the war. You even get to feel sorry for Braxton Bragg! It covers all the senior western generals and their interactions plus relations with the higher command so gives an excellent summary of the happenings throughout the war.

Nathaniel
Private

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:51 pm

I agree "Jefferson Davis and his Generals" is a very good read, but Braxton Bragg has go to be in a class of his own for incompetence and unpopularity.
There are lots of stories about him but I vaguely remember reading that the Confederate newspapers near the end of the war had a headline "Bragg takes command in Wilmington, Goodbye Wilmington".
They have ruined my beautiful fort.
Colonel Alfred Rhett [commander Fort Sumter 1863]

Chris0827
General

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:48 pm

Nathaniel wrote:I agree "Jefferson Davis and his Generals" is a very good read, but Braxton Bragg has go to be in a class of his own for incompetence and unpopularity.
There are lots of stories about him but I vaguely remember reading that the Confederate newspapers near the end of the war had a headline "Bragg takes command in Wilmington, Goodbye Wilmington".

Bragg should have some interesting special abilities in this game.

WallysWorld
Captain

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:15 pm

Chris0827 wrote:Bragg should have some interesting special abilities in this game.

That brings up an interesting point.

Will generals in AACW have some negative traits in terms of political issues? Maybe someone like Benjamin Butler will negatively affect Union support in southern states if present like he was at New Orleans.

I might have missed this topic in the forum, but was wondering.

PhilThib

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:27 am

You're both right :coeurs:

Most generals are rated on different counts politically: they all have a political value, which is roughly a cost in victory points you pay when you remove them from command / appoint them in circumstances that are not "appropriate" (you'll discover this concept while playing)...

In other words, try to remove G.McClellan from command before it's 'time' and you'll see the results :p leure:

Generals also have special abilities, an even more exhaustive list than in BOA. one of them is called 'Hated Occupant'...guess for whom it was designed ?? :siffle:

marecone

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:34 am

Very nice. Sounds great.
I was wandering if we can we perhaps see some examples from the game?
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

WallysWorld
Captain

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:29 pm

PhilThib wrote:Generals also have special abilities, an even more exhaustive list than in BOA. one of them is called 'Hated Occupant'

Ahhh...Butler's famous 'Woman Order' making him the most hated and most wanted man in the South.

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”