Ol' Choctaw

Indian Units of the CSA:

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Cherokee Units:

1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles
2nd Cherokee Mounted Rifles
Scales'/Fry's Battalion of Cherokee Cavalry
Meyer's Battalion of Cherokee Cavalry ( only a paper organization, never manned)
Cherokee Battalion of Infantry
Second Cherokee Artillery

Cherokee Battalion, Thomas’ North Carolina Legion

Chickasaw Units:

First Regiment of Chickasaw Infantry
First Regiment of Chickasaw Cavalry First Colonel: William L. Hunter
First Battalion of Chickasaw Cavalry
Shecoe's Chickasaw Battalion of Mounted Volunteers

Choctaw Units:

First Regiment Choctaw & Chickasaw Mounted Rifles
First Regiment of Choctaw Mounted Rifles
Deneale's Regiment of Choctaw Warriors
Second Regiment of Choctaw Cavalry
Third Regiment of Choctaw Cavalry
Folsom's Battalion of Choctaw Mounted Rifles
Capt. John Wilkin's Company of Choctaw Infantry
Northwest Frontier Command of Indian Territory

First Mississippi Choctaw Battalion (roughly 18 men captured from training camp by Union Forces in 1862 and carried off to New York)

Welch’s Texas Cavalry Squadron

Creek Units:

First Creek Mounted Rifles - Col. Daniel N. McIntosh, Commanding

Second Creek Mounted Rifles - Lt. Col. Chilly McIntosh, Commanding

Osage Units:

Osage Cavalry Battalion

Seminole Units:

First Regiment Seminole Mounted Volunteers

Pike’s Indian Brigade at the Battle of Pea Ridge:

1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles
2nd Cherokee Mounted Rifles
1st Choctaw and Chickasaw (not engaged)
1st Creek Mounted Rifles (not engaged)
Welch’s Texas Cavalry Squadron (mostly Choctaw recruited on the Texas Border region)

As you can see by my handle I have a dog in this fight.
There were unorganized raiding parties and some organizations of Braves but as you can see there were Organized Regiments also. They fought in the regular manner of any organized army.

I am also wondering what happened to all the mounted infantry units in the game?

Maybe I missed them, and all the Choctaw Units too.

Where are they?

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Howdy,

The game is a few years old. For these units to enter into the current game, they would have to be created and added by a mod. Posting in the mod forums about how to do just that will be your best bet. Ageod just handles bigger bugs and the like.

Welcome to our little corner of the internet!
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:11 am

I can't remember all the Indian units in the game, but there are at least a few. Stand Watie appears at fort Gibson in the fall of 1861 usually. He comes with the 1st and 2nd Cherokee rifle and Drews Cherokee regiment. 3 more Sioux regiments show up to siege Fort Laramie in 62 or 63. A Pimas regiment shows up in 63 I think after a treaty is signed. The union gets a regiment or 2 I think. There aren't any Choctaw regiments in the game to my knowledge though.

A mod would be your best bet for fixing any inaccuracies you see. AGEOD is only patching serious bugs for AACW at this point.

*edit* Also, the Indian regiments in AACW have a nominal strength of 300 men so some of these smaller regiments would need to be folded together to represent a regiment in AACW.

Ol' Choctaw

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:18 am

This is as much a matter of setting the history straight as about anything.

The Choctaw Regiments were a bit over 1000 men. The Battalions were a little over 500.

The Companies had a typical strength of 110 men. Regiments were 2 Battalions of 5 Companies each.

The first Battalion would be Companies A to E and the second would be Companies F, G, H, J, & K.

The mounted rifles I believe had 12 Companies. A to M (skipping I). The Choctaw & Chickasaw Mounted Rifles Had three Battalions and had Companies A to Y (I and Q get skipped and maybe some others). They seemed to have 7 or 8 companies per battalion.

Some Mississippi Companies and their parent organizations.

Chickasaw Guards, Inf.11th Miss.
Chickasaw Rifles, Inf.11th Miss.
Choctaw Guards, Inf.15th Miss.
Choctaw Rangers, Cav.2d Miss.
Choctaw Rebels, Inf.24th Miss.
Choctaw Reserves, Cav.Miss. Local Defense.
Choctaw Silver Grays, Inf. Miss. Local Defense.

Mounted Rifles, particularly in the West and Trans-Mississippi were mounted infantry. They moved on horse and fought on foot most of the time. I guess you could look at them like the old way dragoons were used.

There were quite a few regiments of these coming from all the states and Indian Territory of the Western Department, including Tennessee and Mississippi.

I just think of the tactical use you could put them to if you teamed them up with N. B. Forrest. :D

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Playing the wargame Pea Ridge by SPI years ago, I remember that the Indian units were subject to quicker routing when fired on by artillery because, as the designer said, "they couldn't stand to face the fire wagons." As someone who is three-sixteenths Choctaw myself, I think I am three-sixteenths insulted! :neener:

Ol' Choctaw

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:33 am

The Choctaw had been fighting in American Wars from the Revelation onward.

Pushmataha was a commissioned officer in the US Army during the War of 1812 and may have been a Brigadier General.

They understood disciple and were likely better educated than the white troops they fought beside. They signed their enlistment documents, not with an X but with their white names, as most spoke English as well as Choctaw. They founded a school system in the 1820s, a decade before Removal in 1832 and continued it in the Indian Territory.

The Farewell Letter to the American People: http://www.ushistory.org/documents/harkins.htm

was written by a 22 year old Choctaw at the time of their removal from Mississippi.

They fought mainly under their own officers, and the idea that the people of the Five Civilized Tribes fought as savages or half savages owes more to ignorance than to history.

caranorn

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:27 am

Chaplain Lovejoy wrote:Playing the wargame Pea Ridge by SPI years ago, I remember that the Indian units were subject to quicker routing when fired on by artillery because, as the designer said, "they couldn't stand to face the fire wagons." As someone who is three-sixteenths Choctaw myself, I think I am three-sixteenths insulted! :neener:

Well, unfortunatelly they got a lot wrong in that game (no Confederate mounted cavalry at pea Ridge? Sorry, but McCulloch launched a massive cavalry charge). Yes, Pike's two Cherokee regiments did indeed rout when fired on by artillery indirectly (yes, indirect fire, they did not see where they were fired at from, this was their first battle and they'd just taken a union battery and were celebrating when several shots fell into their ranks and they withdrew to the woods). Due to Pike's abysmal command qualities (he was good for recruiting and organising that force, but as a commander he proved to be inapt, possibly single handedly losing the battle by withdrawing part of the division he had no right to command (next in line of command was Greer as Pike did not belong to McCulloch's command) as well as one of his own regiments (he forgot the other on the field) the two regiments were not rallied in time to see any more action at that battle.

Anyhow, yes the AACW order of battle (essentially we have Drew's command (which by the way had started the war for the Union, switched to Confederate and later returned to the Union) twice and Watie's once, Watie as a general much too early and no Pike (4/0/0, but only because we have no negative ratings, else he'd be a 4/-1/-2 in my eyes), no other regular Indian contingents like the Chocktaw or Chickasaw) is off when it comes to the Confederate Indian contingents. Though I somewhat doubt that the Chocktaw regiments were as large as the OP thinks. The two Cherokee regiments plus Welch's squadron together fielded roughly 500 men at Pea Ridge (according to Shea and Hess iirc) (though of course the Cherokee were politically divided and probably some combattants stayed behind in the IT as they had been recruited as a territorial command).

P.S.: I also disagree with the notion of the scalping incident at Pea Ridge. I think this was mostly a political instrument of the Union. Look at those filthy Confederates, they bring uncivilised savages to battle who then go and scalp our poor defensless sons, iirc no more than 6 scalped bodies were identified at that battle and it's not at all certain under which circumstances they were scalped. If at all relevant it was an isolated event and it has been given too much weight ever since Pea Ridge. The Cherokee (and Chocktaw, I did not know that Welch's was a Chocktaw command) performed okay for an entirely green command, under the circumstances more seasoned units did not act all that differently...
Marc aka Caran...

Ol' Choctaw

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:06 am

caranorn wrote: ...Though I somewhat doubt that the Chocktaw regiments were as large as the OP thinks...

I took the numbers from unit records.

Most of the names for some of the companies are there.

At the end of the war there were around 10,000 Confederate troops under arms from the Indian Territory. It is estimated that there were 6,000 Indian troops killed in the war.

In early July 1861 the Agent who had helped raise the first units ( the 1st Choctaw & Chickasaw Mounted Rifles, two battalions Choctaw & one battalion Chickasaw) estimated that those two tribes could put 10,000 men in the field.

Leaving Pike out of the game maybe because he was first and foremost a recruiter in the Indian Territory.

They provide no conscripts in the game and are not an economically manageable state. I don’t know if this is something that can be the subject of a mod or not.

Dose anyone know?

There were lead, zinc, and some other metals mined at the time in the far north east of the IT and the Choctaw areas had coal deposits in abundance. They were only mined when the rail roads came in, but they were known from the 1830s when the people came there.

I don’t want to get too un-PC, but in the newspaper articles of the time (yes the Choctaw had a newspaper) they talk of the “Wild Indians” making raids (vs. “tame Indians” I would suppose).

If you want to check it out you might find that the Choctaw at least were likely better educated than most of their white counterparts. Schools in tribal areas were brought under managed tribal control in the 1820, before they left Mississippi and continued in the IT.

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:18 pm

Ol' Choctaw wrote:(vs. “tame Indians” I would suppose).

a/k/a "civilized Indians" :neener:

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:11 pm

great info there, Ol' Choctaw. Luv it. Did you do the original research from the records? If so, that should be published in a journal.

Ol' Choctaw

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks.

I didn’t do the original research.

Most all of it is available on line, from various sources. I didn’t catalog it, maybe I should start.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:58 pm

definitely. Orders of Battle is the best source for any game design, and always the hardest data to get.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:32 pm

The far west theatre is by far my weakest in terms of knowledge. I really don't know anything about Pea Ridge or the like. This thread makes me want to remedy that.

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”