marecone

Free online books about American Civil War

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:19 pm

Some 50 books free for download. From stories about generals and battles to overview of whole war.

http://www.bestebooksworld.com/showcat.asp?id=459&iDBLoc=0

Enjoy :thumbsup:
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

malthaussen
Sergeant

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:06 pm

Don't know if they are in that collection or not, but Google Books has an online reproduction of Battles and Leaders of the Civil War[I][/I], which is a standard resource for researchers. Unfortunately, the number of typos can really be annoying, sometimes entire phrases have been dropped out of the scans. Still, if you can't afford the $50 USD to pick up the set for yourself, it's a good place to get it.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."

moni kerr
Lieutenant

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 am

I couldn't find Grant's memoirs on that site but they are available here http://www.bartleby.com/1011/

bschulte
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:41 am

Guys,

I've been "collecting" free Civil War books online at Google Books for my Siege of Petersburg web site. Here's the direct link to my online "library":

Brett's Civil War Books at Google

While some of these are Siege of Petersburg related, many of these should be of interest to any student of the Civil War. Another great site to find free Civil War books (and ones already formatted for Kindle to boot) is the Internet Archive.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks for the links, fellas! I've been positively devouring documentaries and reading material on the Civil War since I started playing AACW. I'm particularly enjoying Grant's memoirs - he's actually a pretty good writer, really brings his campaigns to life.

Here's what I've found so far, I'll probably add more as I go along. Most of these are from a Wikipedia bibliography.

Primary Sources:
The Civil War Letters of Forrest Little
The Southern Homefront
Civil War Documents

Secondary Sources (most of these are pretty dated):
Abraham Lincoln: A Biography, by Benjamin P. Thomas
Robert E. Lee, by Douglas Freeman
The Natural Limits of Slavery Expansion
Lincoln and the Tools of War
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”