Achilles84
Conscript

President Jefferson Davis?

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:12 am

You know how whenever you see in American History books (ones used in elementary, high school, etc.) that has names and portraits of all of the American Presidents from past to present, Jefferson Davis is never listed? I always speculated about that. Should he be? I mean, he was an American AND a President. Discuss...

Mortar
Sergeant

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:20 am

Well, he was never technically elected to president of the United States of America....he was the first and as far as I know only :neener: president of the Confederate States of America...if I recall he did serve as a secretary of war at some point for the USA

dublish
Corporal

Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:14 am

Mortar wrote:Well, he was never technically elected to president of the United States of America....he was the first and as far as I know only :neener: president of the Confederate States of America...if I recall he did serve as a secretary of war at some point for the USA

Davis was indeed the only president of the CSA, and was also one of the best SecWar's the USA had ever had up to 1860. He was also a Representative and Senator for several terms during the 1840s and 50s.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:53 pm

deleted

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”