TheDoctorKing

More battlefield pictures

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:45 am

On my recent trip across the country, I visited the battlefield at Lexington, MO. Here are a few pictures:

This is the route of the attack by elements of the Union 23rd Illinois Infantry and 2nd Illinois Cavalry towards the Union field hospital, visible in the distance, occupied by Confederate sharpshooters. George Henry Palmer, later MAJ, USA, then bugler of the 2nd Illinois, led the charge and won the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Remains of Union trenches. A small Union force of around 3500 men was attacked by Gen. Price's army, mostly composed of Missouri pro-Confederates, about 20,000 strong, September 18, 19, 20, 1861. The Union forces were strongly entrenched, unusually so for that early in the war, and held out for three days against continuous assault until the Confederates sapped up to the trenches using gabions made of hemp bales. The area was a big producer of hemp - maybe that was why the battle was so fiercely fought - oh, wow, man, are those dudes shooting at us? (suuuuuck) I don't know man, are there people over there? Pass the bong man...etc...

The Missouri River as seen from the Union positions. The Union position was finally outflanked and the Confederates cut the defenders off from the river, leading the Union commander Col. James A Mulligan to surrender. Reinforcements under Gen. Sturgis coming up the river from Jefferson City had been turned away by Price's outposts and Mulligan's men were almost out of water. And, perhaps, hemp... :neener:
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rafiki

Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:43 am

The photos you guys are posting from the various battlefields serves as good inspiration for taking the trip and tour some of them myself one day. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:39 pm

Rafiki wrote:The photos you guys are posting from the various battlefields serves as good inspiration for taking the trip and tour some of them myself one day. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Yeah. Civil War battlefields are my only reason to regret living in Europe. :thumbsup:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:52 pm

I like how many of the pics are from far western battlefields :thumbsup: . Being that I'm from the "Show me State" and all. (See my avatar... :D )
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

TheDoctorKing

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:10 am

I had fun visiting the Lexington battlefield. It is not a well-known battle. The people at the center were very helpful and I learned a lot. I guess that this was a very profitable plantation area growing hemp in the 1850s, and the county had the most slaves of any county in Missouri. Nevertheless, there were a number of German immigrants who opposed slavery and the Union force had some local troops in it. So this really was a Civil War, within the very town itself.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”