Stauffenberg
General

Spielberg's LINCOLN: "Like a Hallmark Movie, with Bayonets"

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:57 pm

A recent review of this film by Asawin Suebsaeng excoriates it (justifiably in my view), although it is bound to be controversial as you can see from the comments. Here's a sample from the review itself:

[INDENT]
But the most glaring misstep has to be manner in which Spielberg and Co. handle their depiction of our 16th president: with kid gloves. As great a leader as Lincoln was (the country's finest, by academic consensus), he still savaged the Constitution, led a ruthless and hellish war on the South, and subverted free press and expression like it was his job. There are, at most, a cumulative three sentences in the film addressing these uncomfortable truths. By portraying Abraham Lincoln as little more than a benevolent and wise old man with an army, the filmmakers do a disservice to his legacy and deny us a far more interesting and nuanced character—one who was accomplished and awe-inspiring, yet profoundly flawed.[/INDENT]

Spoiler Alert: he gets killed at the end ;) :
http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2012/11/film-review-lincoln-steven-spielberg-daniel-day-lewis-tommy-lee-jones

anjou
Lieutenant

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:35 am

Stauffenberg wrote:Spoiler Alert: he gets killed at the end ;) :

Awwwww now I've got no reason to see it!

charlesonmission

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:32 am

I think the issue is, to a certain extent, they (the producers) wanted to avoid a Gods and Generals type situation where they try to tell too much. Focusing in on a complex period on a complex person for a specific period is all that one can really do in a movie. An extended HBO series would be able to take in all aspects of Lincoln (or at least more) including some of the more controversial ones. That's my take, I'm going to go see it on Sunday! :)

Charles

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:57 am

charlesonmission wrote:I think the issue is, to a certain extent, they (the producers) wanted to avoid a Gods and Generals type situation where they try to tell too much. Focusing in on a complex period on a complex person for a specific period is all that one can really do in a movie. An extended HBO series would be able to take in all aspects of Lincoln (or at least more) including some of the more controversial ones. That's my take, I'm going to go see it on Sunday! :)

Charles

Well, here in Spain, the film will be released on January 18, 2013 and I'm eager to see it. I've been reading the reviews and seen the trailer, and they're very good...

So, please tell me what you think about it as soon as you leave the cinema. :)

Greetings! :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

charlesonmission

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:34 am

Saw the movie 2 days ago. I thought it was really good. I'm surprised the review above says there were only 3 sentences dealing with Lincoln in a negative way. It seemed to be a lot more than that to me..... But, in a good historical way. I think most people interested in history will be pleased with the outcome.

Ethan wrote:Well, here in Spain, the film will be released on January 18, 2013 and I'm eager to see it. I've been reading the reviews and seen the trailer, and they're very good...

So, please tell me what you think about it as soon as you leave the cinema. :)

Greetings! :thumbsup:

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:44 am

Many thanks, Charles, for your reply. Now, I have even more desire to see it. I'm sure that I'll like the film.

Regards! :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:27 pm

just a post to eradicate the Xrunner ...
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”