Cinncinatus
Conscript

Calendar & Record of the Rev War in the South:1780-1781

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:17 am

I am the author of "Calendar and Record of the Revolutionary War in the South: 1780-1781," which is available as a free .pdf download at either of the links below.

http://battleofcamden.org/sherman.htm

http://www.americanrevolution.org/warinthesouth.html

My book provides as detailed information as any work available with respect to the units and troop strengths of the forces of both sides, by date, and as they pertain to the war in the southern states 1780-1781. Although the book's scope with respect to time frame and area is limited, it nonetheless is at least one help toward getting the more nitty gritty historical/military data correct.

I post this then as one suggestion toward helping to make the unit, troop strengths and deployments more accurate. Hopefully a future unit AND scenario editor will make this even more possible. Thanks again for a great game!

Pocus

Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:58 am

thanks for the links!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Cinncinatus
Conscript

Re: map glitches

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:59 am

Incidentally -- while I have you on the phone -- some obvious map glitches I noticed were

Fort Watson (in South Carolina) is placed on the south side of the Santee River when it (along with Fort Motte which could, for game purposes, be considered in the same area) should be on the north side. Ft. Watson then should be in the region/space just to the north east of where it is now. What would actually be in the space it currently occupies is Nelson's Ferry, and the British did have a fortified post there temporarily in 1780 and part of early 1781. So it would be historically credible to have both sites.

Given the game's scale, both Ramseur's Mill and Ft. Prince George in S.C. should not be included as sites, since militarily and economocally they were not especially significant. (At the same time King's Mountain might be made note of for color, if nothing else.)

IronBrigadeYankee
Major

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:41 pm

I noticed another small map glitch. In maryland the Frederick province should be the province to the North-West of its current location (Winchester I think). The area named currently named Frederick, while part of Frederick County until 1776, is not where the city of Frederick is located. The area on the map is more representative of Prince George's and Montgomery Counties. Winchester is actually in Virginia and south of it's location on the BOA map. There is a large F&I fort that would be in the same region (the one that should be Frederick) named Fort Frederick

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/fortfrederick.html

This fort played a role in both the F&I and Revolutionary Wars.

Sorry, just an angry rant from a crazy Frederick native :nuts:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

-Thomas Paine

PhilThib

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:56 pm

Keep on checking the map, so I can do a one-shot change for all my mistakes :king: :coeurs:

Cinncinatus
Conscript

Here are some more map corrections

Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:19 pm

"Crook's" Creek in North Carolina (as given on the map), is actually named "Cross Creek" (present day Fayetteville.)

Similarly, "Charlotte" just north of the Roanoke River in Virginia, is actually "Halifax" (there beng no Charlotte at that particular location.) Also, "Warrenton" just south of it, as a town site, should be removed as not being either historically or geographically justifiable. (Note. There is also a Halifax, N.C., a few areas to the east-southeast, but that is a separate town entirely, though of the same name.)

There was a very important frontier settlement called Sycamore Flats, located directly (four game areas) northwest of Salisbury, N.C.. It was from here the Over mountain men came who fought at Kings Mountain Oct. 7, 1780. A village here would make sense.

"Catawba Village" in western Virginia (on the map) should be removed entirely. The Catawba lands were actually two (game) areas north of Camden, S.C. though for game purposes it need not be included as a special area.

I slightly take back what I said earlier about Ramsey's Mill ("Ramsay Mill")in N.C. (and now since deleted by me.) In re-examining a historical map, for game purposes it can be left as is. However the correct spelling is "Ramsey's Mill" not "Ramsay Mill."

Cinncinatus
Conscript

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:33 am

Correction to my last ---

Again there is no "Charlotte" (Virginia) at the location just above Warrenton, N.C.

Halifax, VA (which I mentioned previously), should be one region to the left (west, at "Cole's Ford") across the Staunton River from where "Charlotte" (Virginia) now is. Halifax, VA, incidentally, is where Greene rested and supplied his army after his famous "Race to the Dan (river)."

The region occupied by thIs "Charlotte" (like Warrenton) should be left blank of any village or town. However in "Catwater" just above it would be Prince Edward Court House, which was a major American supply depot and munitions laboratory for the Americans in 1781, until Cornwallis' forces (under Tarleton) forced them to evacuate it in early July of that year.

Return to “BoA History Club”