Rafiki

Fri May 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Dixi: Good one, thanks :)

Tagwyn: these are game-related. Find some other place to be all cranky, please.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Joking Germans!!! Now that is cause for LOL. t

Rafiki

Fri May 01, 2009 7:49 pm

From what I can see, not a single German has posted in this thread. On the other hand, you might be referring to some entirly other thread. Difficult to tell, usually.

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

dooya

Fri May 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Rafiki wrote:From what I can see, not a single German has posted in this thread.[...]
:blink:
No quote - No bullshit!

Rafiki

Fri May 01, 2009 8:20 pm

My bad, dooya; hadn't loaded the avatars, and didn't see you there :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Could someone explain "fnord" and "grognard" to those of us who don't speak AGEod?

Rafiki

Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Good ones; glad you ask :)
Answers.com wrote:Grognard is French for "grumbler". It is not necessarily pejorative and is sometimes used as a compliment. Historically it meant a soldier in Napoleon's army, particularly a member of the Old Guard.

"Grognard" came to mean a veteran wargamer in the early 1970s. It was first used by John Young, at that time an employee of SPI, and subsequently popularised by Strategy & Tactics magazine.

(...)

Answers.com wrote:1. A word used in email and news postings to tag utterances as surrealist mind-play or humor, esp. in connection with Discordianism and elaborate conspiracy theories. “I heard that David Koresh is sharing an apartment in Argentina with Hitler. (Fnord.)” “Where can I fnord get the Principia Discordia from?”

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Greybriar
Corporal

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:14 am

enf91 wrote:Could someone explain "fnord" and "grognard" to those of us who don't speak AGEod?

My take on it is that a "grognard" is a gamer who not only likes wargames, but who also pays meticulous attention to detail. A grognard would be the type who would want a great deal of micromanagement in a game.

I ran across this Wargaming Survey at Armchair General that I found interesting. I hope others find it the same.
Press on. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not: The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. --Calvin Coolidge

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:36 am

deleted

Adlertag

Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:01 pm

The true Grognard of the Old Guard (a "vieux de la vieille") used to grumble for anything but is always ready to follow Napoleon anywhere...
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Yee Haa
Private

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:31 am

Bruit Bleu wrote:AFAIK, it's a good post Rafiki, I didn't knew some of them ! :)

But OTOH and TBH, I prefer full writings rather than acronyms... With a computer, we have the time to spell the words and can correct any error ! :innocent:

BTW, what does the FYI in the title mean ?

Edit :
I suggest adding the AAR in your list ! :)

FYI - For your information

gchristie
Brigadier General

Omb

Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:32 pm

Saw this in the change log for the AGE engine. What does OMB mean? Off Map Box?
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

nicemoney1
Civilian

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:58 am

Actually AGE has several meaning: Adaptative Game Engine, or Athena Games Entertainment. AGEOD or AGE-Studio are thus Athena Games Entertainment Online Distribution or the Studio (producing stuff).:)

Return to “General discussions”