Henry D.

What should be coming next?

Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Hello again!

I've been wondering, which game would You like to have our esteemed Lords and Masters of ageod develop next?

My personal favourite wishes (in descending order):

1) A game about the Campaigns of Frederick the Great (with the same engine)

2) A game about the Peninsular War 1808-14 (with the same engine) or about various campaigns of the Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars (probably with a different command sytem, including Divisions and Corps)

3) A game about the American Civil War (definitely with an new command system, including Divisions, Corps and railways).

Please add Your own wishes! :)
Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:52 am

I wait for the successor to Fantasy General.

If a "Frederick the Great" game was released with a European map, a steam punk mod should not be very difficult to implement.

I would also be curious to play the Civil war with BoA engine. I feel it would be a very interesting strategic experience.

I don't know about the Peninsula war, but neither did I about the French and Indian War. Now I have learned a lot about this period of history, so exotic battles could interest me as well.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Pocus

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:34 pm

I remember fondly my experience with the Peninsular War with good olde "War and Peace" from Avallon hill.

Now don't take this as a clue.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ardie
Captain

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:59 pm

I have these humble wishes:

1. A total 7 years war, not just Freddie and his Prussians...as his battles have been done in other games.

2. A thirty years war; never been touched upon IIRC.

Frost716
Private

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:18 pm

I would like to see some British battles including: Zulu War: Rorkes Drift, Isandlwana, Ulundi, Khambula...Boer War, Crimean War, Afgan War, Indian Mutiny..etc...other then Age of Rifles..hasn't really been done yet..

jnier
Civilian

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:03 pm

Pocus wrote:I remember fondly my experience with the Peninsular War with good olde "War and Peace" from Avallon hill.

Now don't take this as a clue.

The Peninsular War would be a great fit for the BOA engine IMHO. Since both involved a popular rebellion against an strong occupying power (in a similar time frame), many of the same mechanics would work well in the Peninular War.

It would probably feel similar in strategy to the American War of Independence too. A massive French Army trying to control as much territory as possible, while trying to decisively defeat the smaller Anglo-Spanish field army. While the Spanish and British try to hang on until 1813-1814, when the numbers start to swing in their favor.

So my vote for a sequal is the the Peninsular War. :D

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:55 am

Something different,

The Great Northern War perhaps?

jelay14
Corporal

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:13 am

I'd very much enjoy an American Civil War game on this model. Maybe for fun throw in an alternate-history scenario where the British intervene and the Union has to fend off both the Confederacy and incursions from sea/British North America.

Aragos

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:06 am

I would like to see a game focused on the development, exploration and conquest of the American West. Start with the first settlements under the Spanish and have the opportunity to play both the native peoples and the Europeans (and later Americans).

That would be fun 1492-1890.

Pocus

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:41 pm

as a detailed PC wargame it has never be done if I'm not mistaken. I remember playing some years ago Gold of Americas, but this was not even on PC...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Aragos

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:47 pm

I remember the old Seven Cities of Gold on the Commodore 64. That was a lot of fun :)

Sid Meier did Colonization! back in the early 90's but it stopped when you won your independence from Europe.

What would be fun is to have a map filled with a huge number of provinces covering the entire New World (to include islands). You start out as either a explorer, privateer, colonists (or have units under your command that can do those things). The AI would run the other European Nations and Native nations (and tribes).

And away you go. Add in technological advancement, political events, building/city development. Have it go all the way from 1492 until the 'official' closure of the American West in 1890.

I'd even go as far as having variable victory conditions for countries/tribes you play (e.g., if you are the Sioux, you win if you survive as an independent tribe until the end of the game; if you are the English, you win if you maintain control over x% of North America by 1890, Spain if you control x% of South America by 1890, and so on). You could script the major conflicts to occur if certain conditions are met (French and Indian War, American Revolution, wars of Latin American independence, etc.). If you wanted to simplify technology, just have improvements appear at pre-set times (ironclads in 1862, for example).

It would be a beast to develop, but it would beat any other game out there. If you could make a random map generator, that would give unlimited play value.

That would be massively fun to play.

jelay14
Corporal

Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:24 am

I'd play that game. Throw in some different mixes, like maybe new nation-states forming in the vast expanses of the west -- Deseret? Texas? California? Some Spanish-speaking empire that contests the states on the Eastern Seaboard for control of the interior of the continent?

It'd also be cool to have it randomly generated; then you truly would have to explore to figure out where this river goes or the where the most fertile soil is located.

Generalisimo

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:21 am

[quote="Aragos"]I remember the old Seven Cities of Gold on the Commodore 64. That was a lot of fun :)

Sid Meier did Colonization! back in the early 90's but it stopped when you won your independence from Europe.

What would be fun is to have a map filled with a huge number of provinces covering the entire New World (to include islands). You start out as either a explorer, privateer, colonists (or have units under your command that can do those things). The AI would run the other European Nations and Native nations (and tribes).

And away you go. Add in technological advancement, political events, building/city development. Have it go all the way from 1492 until the 'official' closure of the American West in 1890.

I'd even go as far as having variable victory conditions for countries/tribes you play (e.g., if you are the Sioux, you win if you survive as an independent tribe until the end of the game]
I have been waiting for a game like that for years... :niark:
Sid Meiers Colonization was great... I must admit that i played it for a lot of years after it release... even after i managed to won it with every nation. :indien:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Pocus

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:45 am

yup, you basically want us to remake a Colonization, Aragos. A major project indeed. (and very thrilling).

Aragos

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:24 pm

Pocus wrote:yup, you basically want us to remake a Colonization, Aragos. A major project indeed. (and very thrilling).

Yeah, but you guys can do better :)

I have to admit, it would be fun playing the Sioux or Aztecs and trying to hold off Western civilization. :niark:

Pocus

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:16 am

who knows, we a good modding manual and volunteers, what can be done within one year with our engine ;)

Return to “General discussions”