Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Pratchett has Alzheimer's disease

Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:33 am

Author Terry Pratchett is suffering from a rare form of early Alzheimer's disease, it has been revealed. He said in a statement that with forthcoming conventions and the need to inform his publishers it would have been "unfair to withhold the news".

Discworld author Pratchett has sold more than 55 million books worldwide.

The writer, 59, who gave the news on the website of Discworld artist Paul Kidby, said the condition was behind a "phantom stroke" earlier this year.

He said: "I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news.

"I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's 'phantom stroke'."

He added: "We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism.

The author said work was continuing on his latest book, Unseen Academicals.
... and he succeeds in keeping me smiling even with this sad news...

:( :( :(

"All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers," he said.

"Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet."

He told fans the statement should be interpreted as "I am not dead"."I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else," he said.

"For me, this may be further off than you think. It's too soon to tell."I know it's a very human thing to say 'is there anything I can do', but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry."

Pratchett was made an OBE in 1998 for services to British literature.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

IronBrigadeYankee
Major

Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:07 am

To be honest I've never read one of his books, but I know a large number of my friends are huge fans. It's a shame when things like this happen to someone who brings so much joy to so many people. My thoughts are with him and his family, and to all those who are fighting Alzheimer's.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

-Thomas Paine

Pocus

Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:20 pm

Damn. I like Pratchett. Korrigan introduced me to his writing some years ago, and I had hundred of good laugths thanks to him.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Sol Invictus

Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:12 pm

I haven't read him, but it is very sad to hear of anyone getting this horrible disease.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Henry D.

Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:29 pm

:(
Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

Spharv2

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:50 am

Saw this the other day and just hate it. I have never been able to get into reading his books, but when I hear them in the audiobook format (I have the first 34 DW books on CD), it's some of the most entertaining work I have ever listened to. Gotten me through many many 12 hour days at work. On the positive side, he has been remarkably prolific, so at least we have a large body of his work to go back over when the end of his writing does come.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CristoFire-Ice
Brigadier General

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:03 am

:( :( :(
Oh no, he's my favorite fantasy writer. I'm very sad.
[color="DarkOrange"]"- Il est à vous ce boulet?" [/color]:grr:

Return to “General discussions”