jimkehn
Lieutenant

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:19 am

PDF......Sorry...was being sarcastic. The game looks like it can take a lifetime to learn!!!!

OH...BTW....fun to play as well!!!!

Pocus

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:59 am

and Pocus is still waiting for an answer before sending his turn. Who in the hell can forge me a staff of storms??

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PDF

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:06 pm

Huh well I can't, I don't even know what Air magic is with my japanese goblins ! :niark:
Ask Man (Wilfrid), my enemy, he looks well-versed in that :8o:

* Sorry for this rather OT post * :niark:

Pocus

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:40 am

Man? Bleh too greedy! Last time I asked for the price of a bag of wine, he asked so much I had to insult him in the returning mail :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jimkehn
Lieutenant

Noob Question(s)

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:41 pm

Sheesh. I just have the demo but find the game addicting, but the demo leaves out soooo much info:

I kinda get magic paths vs. categories. But...when I start a new game, what is the significance of choosing more than one level in a magic path. Also, can these be altered once the game starts? And where do you find out what paths you chose at game creation and at what levels? I can't seem to remember what I chose!!! :nuts:

Along that line.......what is the significance of a level one, two or three mage or priest? Do they need to be a level 3 priest to cast a level 3 conjur spell for example? And how do they advance levels.....or do they?

I think I figured out that a sacred warrior must follow a sacred leader??? And what is the number following "Holy" in the recruitment screen. And how does one improve on that??

Sheesh....so many questions and only one life to live!!!!!

:bonk:

PDF

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:34 pm

Jimkehn
Did you read/play the tutorial scenario ? It should give you some answers.
Also, get a look at http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com Dom3 forum, and there's even a incomplete but full of info Wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominions_3:_The_Awakening :cwboy:

Still I'd give you some answers :
Magic levels : yes levels are very important since you cannot augment them easily (though you can in a multitude of ways) !
What you will raise are your research levels (in Conjuration, Alteration..) that will give you access to new spells (you'll learn a full group per level)... if you have mages with enough path levels to cast them !
For example at Evocation-2 you'll learn Fireball, but only Fire-2+ mages can cast it.
About recalling what you choose, when your pretender "god" is still "sleeping" (not in game) you can't access his/her/its stats. In fact the "sleeping" thing is a new Dom 3 feature and they forgot to make this view...

Priests level are not to be confused with other paths : they work the same but you can only cast "pries" path magic and those spells can't be learnt through research, they're available from start.

Sacred leaders/warriors : no, there's no need to group them. Leaders are rated for normal/magic/undead-demonic units leadership ability, but sacred can be of any sort... What you'll need is to have a priest near them to cast a Blessing raising their stats in battle.
"Holy" is the limit to your sacred units recruitement, per turn (not counting leaders). It's equal to the province 's "Dominion" level. It's pretty complicated to explain... The max Dom value is the one you choose at start when you design your god, but it can be raised by temples (+1 for 5 temples). Then the current level can only be lower than that, and raised through the god's or prophet's presence, temples in the area and preaching from your priests.. It can also be lowered by enemy presence/activity !

Be confident, all will be clear in less than ...2 years'play ! :niark:

jimkehn
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:34 pm

PDF...read and played the tutorial. Just sooooo many questions!!! :innocent:

Thanks for the answers.

So... A level 2 mage cannot cast more than a level two category spell...i.e. a level two conjuration???

Still not sure what picking extra levels in a path does. Does it make you start out higher....example: If you choose 3 nature paths when creating a game, does that allow for a level 3 nature mage when you create say...a new druid in the game???

Guess I'll go check out the Wiki.

The battles are fun. I stormed a castle and it was great fun. It is interesting to see the depictions of the various types of combat units. Just saw my first elephants. Kewl. The spells are neat too.

But....back to my questions. I tried attaching a sacred type warrior to a non sacred type commander and the game wouldn't let me. Not sure what was going on. He hadn't come close to exceeding his leadership limit.

jimkehn
Lieutenant

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:50 pm

Actually...I found this wiki site and I think I like it better:

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Dominions_3:_The_Awakening/Table_of_Contents

Pocus

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:28 am

this has nothing to do with sacred or not, you have 3 kind of leaderships: normal, undead/demon and magical. The limitation is on one of them.

PDF

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:03 am

Just a q answer about spells : spells RESEARCH LEVEL (ie conj 3) have nothing to do with PATH level (Nature 3).
Your Nature-2 mages will be able to cast some level-9 summoning spells IF they only require Nature-2 (I think they're isn't any indeed, that's just an example). Have a look at the spell lists in Magic screen.
Having more path levels ay start will not help recruitment of units, just give more magic to your pretender god. Each mage comes with fixed or somewhat randomized levels according to its unit type (ie a basic Druid is Nature-1, but a Marverni Druid, another unit type, is Earth 3-4 Astral 2-3 Nature 1-2 IIRC).

I'm leaving for vacation, back in 1 week ! :indien:

jimkehn
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:58 am

OK...I gotcha now I think. The Magic paths that I chose when I created the game was the level of magic for those paths for my Pretender God!!!

Thanks......

Lots to learn and I have another BoA turn coming I see..

jimkehn
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:26 pm

OK.....nuther question

I summoned a pack of wolves. They show up complete with a leader. I put the wolves in the werewolf's army, and, send them to battle. They never show up for the battle, but are there in the province after the battle. Do they need to have the summoner in battle with them?? Even though they have their own leader? I also summoned some snakes, but they do show up. I put them in an army with a normal leader.

Hell Patrol
Lieutenant

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:20 am

Pocus wrote:ok, joke aside, this is the game I know the best (except for BoA of course) and I battled in multi with it since 2001. So I hope you will owe me a tequilla after the dust has settled!

:8o: Oh! So that's where i remembered your name from...Dominions 2. I played that game for a year and a half straight :tournepas . I have Dom 3 of course but BoA and another project have kept me busy. It's a small world, n'est ce pas?

Regards, Hell Patrol a.k.a. Lord Hammer @ Shrapnel :gardavou:

Pocus

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:43 am

yes it's a small word, I'm always surprised by that!

jimkehn
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:50 pm

When is the art division going to make another beautiful map like Tyrande??

Maybe one based on Middle Earth??

PDF

Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:53 am

jimkehn wrote:OK.....nuther question

I summoned a pack of wolves. They show up complete with a leader. I put the wolves in the werewolf's army, and, send them to battle. They never show up for the battle, but are there in the province after the battle. Do they need to have the summoner in battle with them?? Even though they have their own leader? I also summoned some snakes, but they do show up. I put them in an army with a normal leader.

Huh, I suppose they were hiding, an army with Sneak ability gets "sneak" as default move order and many players have nasty surprises with that "feature" (incl. myself :bonk: ) .

jimkehn
Lieutenant

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:59 pm

PDF, yeah I figured that one out a while back. Game is very addictive. Especially in MP.

Sunray

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi jimkehn,
You should visit my 'library'. I've compiled a lot of useful informations there, mostly for Dom2 (the manuel was really incomplete), but most are still useful for Dom3, including some FAQ, a guide for some nations, etc :
http://www.freewebs.com/dominions2
Cheers

Gargoyle

Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:37 pm

I've played DomII and lately DomIII. Quite a bit of fun, but I find it repetitive. Recruit, attack. There is a lot of "Stuff" in the game, but you don't really do anything differently because of it.

RELee
Lieutenant

Mon May 07, 2007 8:01 pm

Pocus wrote:I'm a dominions addict. (http://www.illwinter.com, distributed by Shrapnelgames). I confess my sin openly and in public. Am I alone being a dom-junky out there? :sourcil:
Nope. You are certainly not alone in your addiction to DOM3. While I'm currently taking a bit of a break from it while I help to beta ... a ... new release of ... a game :D

Well, a user-mod of a game, to be exact.

But, once that's done I'll probably start up another Dom game, or Hearts of Iron. Haven't quite made up my mind. :innocent:

RELee
Lieutenant

Tue May 08, 2007 4:34 pm

There is a new patch that was released for Dominions 3 back on the 3rd. I've just now found it myself and thought y'all might like to know if you missed it like me. :innocent:

Return to “General discussions”