Russian
1%
Czech
No votes
Serbo-Croatian
2%
Portugese
2%
Gaelic (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Britanny)
2%
Other european language
1%
Arabic/Persian/Paschtu
No votes
Any asian language
1%
Any other language of which to think Henry is not worldly enough
No votes

Total votes: 120
Henry D.

What's your native language?

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:40 pm

I've been looking around, but suprisingly, this appears not to have been done, yet. :8o:

What is Your native language? Might be interesting for AGEOD in regard of loacalization/marketing of future games or providing more language specific sub-fora. (I was wondering myself if there are enough Germans/Austrians/Swiss on this board to justify bothering Korrigan about creating a german speaking sub-forum).

I do apologize in advance for my somewhat errating choice of options and the huge bias on western languages... :innocent: :)

Regards, Henry
Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

Rafiki

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:49 pm

Native language? I guess I'd have to say Norwegian, even though I both spoke and wrote English before I did Norwegian.

Note that if people are interested in making a version of the game in their own language (e.g. German, if it hasn't been done already), I think it would be a pretty straight-forward thing to do, due to the way Pocus & team have done the localization :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Primasprit

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:11 pm

Rafiki wrote:[...]Note that if people are interested in making a version of the game in their own language (e.g. German, if it hasn't been done already), I think it would be a pretty straight-forward thing to do, due to the way Pocus & team have done the localization :)

Yes, but it's a lot of work to create a translation with good quality. Personally I prefer generally the English versions of games, as they are best for compatibility to mods and occasionally even patches. (Sometimes the localized versions are also really terrible translated. I don't care to much about bad English, as I mostly don't recognize it anyway, but to read badly written German is really a pain.)

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:16 pm

I refuse to answer a poll without the Gaelic choice. :innocent:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Henry D.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:20 pm

Primasprit wrote:Yes, but it's a lot of work to create a translation with good quality. Personally I prefer generally the English versions of games, as they are best for compatibility to mods and occasionally even patches. (Sometimes the localized versions are also really terrible translated. I don't care to much about bad English, as I mostly don't recognize it anyway, but to read badly written German is really a pain.)

Hear, hear! Especially with translations of historical strategy or war games one often gets the feeling that a poor grasp of the language an no knowledge about the background of the game whatsoever are a job requirement... :fleb:

Regarding this here poll: Come to think of it, making it bi- or tri-lingual to include those of french and spanish tongue who don't speak english might have been a sensible idea... :bonk:

Regards, Henry :nuts:
Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

Castel
Conscript

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:32 pm

French.

Well, to translate a game in many languages must be really hard i guess.

PhilThib

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:34 pm

Basically, we try to offer both French and English. Then, based on potential distributor agreements, we have other languages as well...

At the time being, we have also Spanish, Italian, German (BOA only) and Russian :cwboy:

Beren
Captain

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:55 pm

is possible to change language with a mod? and distribute NPC in spanish? :siffle: :niark:
"... tell the Emperor that I am facing Russians.
If they had been Prussians, I'd have taken the
position long ago."
- Marshal Ney, 1813

Rafiki

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:43 pm

Primasprit wrote:Yes, but it's a lot of work to create a translation with good quality. Personally I prefer generally the English versions of games, as they are best for compatibility to mods and occasionally even patches. (Sometimes the localized versions are also really terrible translated. I don't care to much about bad English, as I mostly don't recognize it anyway, but to read badly written German is really a pain.)

No argument from me. If you think it's bad for German, then think of how bad it is for obscure, minimal languages like Norwegian.

In fact, even if a game is available in Norwegian, I'll still choose the English version. Luckily, I haven't been presented with that choice too often :D

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Primasprit

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:35 pm

Beren wrote:is possible to change language with a mod? [...]

Yes, easily. All the in-game texts are in two csv-files ([font="Courier New"]LocalStrings*.csv[/font]). But it is a lot of text. Nice as a community project but it needs quite some time. :cwboy:

Generalisimo

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:40 pm

Spanish obviously...
But why mergerd with portuguese???
Although i live in Argentina and i know something about it (we need it for Brazil, our big neighbour) i do not think that's the case for most of the spanish people that could be around... :sourcil:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

PBBoeye
General

Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:57 pm

Interesting poll.

I predict a neck-and-neck battle between [color="blue"]Serbo-Croatian[/color] and [color="Green"]Arabic/Persian/Paschtu or something like that[/color]

Generalisimo

Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:11 pm

PBBoeye wrote:Interesting poll.

I predict a neck-and-neck battle between [color="blue"]Serbo-Croatian[/color] and [color="Green"]Arabic/Persian/Paschtu or something like that[/color]

bahhh... i can call the cavalry from the spanish forum and we can easilly win this battle... :king: :siffle: :niark:
Napoleon Bonaparte

arsan

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:25 am

Hi

+1 spanish... but i think we aren’t going to win this one, Generalisimo :siffle:

About the translations, i´m on the same boat that Primasprit, Henry D. and Rafiki.
I prefer to play most strategy/wargames on english, because translations aren´t very good.
From my experience, the problem is that translators have no idea about military or the historical background. The result are kind of funky :8o: :tournepas
BoA translation isn't one of the worst, but definitely isn’t one of the best either... :siffle:

Fortunately, Ageod games let you choose language on the options screen! :coeurs:

By the way any news on the spanish version of AACW?? Friendware (the spanish publisher) said when AACW came out that the spanish version would be ready before summer... but summer is nearly gone and there is no news... :bonk:
I know of some fellow spanish players that are very interested on AACW but can't read English :p leure:

Cheers!

Jojo le Gouffy
Captain

Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:56 am

Français,
Mais je lis l'anglais facilement (le parler et l'écrire est une autre histoire)
Je suis d'accord avec Generalisimo. On ne mélange pas l'espagnol et le portugais

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:09 am

I fixed the poll:

- Portugese and Spanish are now separated as they should be.
- Gaelic is now available (Ni a gomz brezhoneg!)
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Henry D.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:14 am

Generalisimo wrote:Spanish obviously...
But why mergerd with portuguese???
Although i live in Argentina and i know something about it (we need it for Brazil, our big neighbour) i do not think that's the case for most of the spanish people that could be around... :sourcil:

Hm, Knowing a few people from both Spain and Portugal, I knew this would be a touchy issue. Kind of like german and dutch language-wise. However, since an angry mob of dutchmen would have a slightly better chance to track me down than one composed of spaniards or portugese, I "merged" them the way I did... :nuts: :sourcil: And: *points at disclaimer in OP* :)

I didn't even think about the irish, though, aren't they just disgruntled catholic englishmen anyways? *runs&hides* :innocent: :niark:

Regards, Henry

Canaris

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:28 pm

Ah, Henry...the old trick to be asked if you want to do the german localization? :sourcil:
Whatever, I dont care as long as I can read it ;)

Henry D.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:40 pm

Canaris wrote:Ah, Henry...the old trick to be asked if you want to do the german localization? :sourcil:
Whatever, I dont care as long as I can read it ;)
No granpa, :p apy: merely a means to fathom the grounds for bothering Korrigan about creating a german forum and becoming a moderator there, so that I can finally harass YOU instead the other way around... :fleb: :sourcil: :niark:

Primasprit

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:44 pm

Henry D. wrote:No granpa, :p apy: merely a means to fathom the grounds for bothering Korrigan about creating a german forum and becoming a moderator there, so that I can finally harass YOU instead the other way around... :fleb: :sourcil: :niark:

Your evil plan may be spoiled as soon as Korrigan reveals his perfect knowledge of the German language... :sourcil:

Henry D.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:46 pm

Primasprit wrote:Your evil plan may be spoiled as soon as Korrigan reveals his perfect knowledge of the German language... :sourcil:

Ahhh, drats! :( :sourcil: :niark:

Canaris

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:56 pm

Perfect, so I can do a crappy translation again :sourcil:

Adlertag

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:17 pm

Apparently, not Dutch friends here...
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Rafiki

Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:59 pm

I'll admit I'm surprised that French are the most numerous, given the topic and the relatively larger number of English-speakers vs- French-speakers.
Adlertag wrote:Apparently, not Dutch friends here...

Just as well. You see, there are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

PBBoeye
General

Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:42 pm

Korrigan wrote:I fixed the poll:

Nein! You ruined it!

[color="SeaGreen"]Arabic/Persian/Paschtu[/color] is no where near as cool as [color="Purple"]Arabic/Persian/Paschtu or something like that[/color]! Have we gone all PC on our PCs?!? Think of all the 'something like thats' that will be left out.

'Tis a cruel, cruel world.

Generalisimo

Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:49 am

arsan wrote:+1 spanish... but i think we aren’t going to win this one, Generalisimo :siffle:

Don't overestimate the power of the spamiards... we are well known in the Paradox OT... :king: :siffle: :niark:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Adlertag

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:13 am

Generalisimo wrote:Don't overestimate the power of the spamiards... we are well known in the Paradox OT... :king: :siffle: :niark:

But they are not present at Rugby World Cup...no matter, Pumas from Argentina will take up the challenge. :hat:
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Henry D.

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:24 am

PBBoeye wrote:Nein! You ruined it!

Arabic/Persian/Paschtu is no where near as cool as Arabic/Persian/Paschtu or something like that! Have we gone all PC on our PCs?!? Think of all the 'something like thats' that will be left out.

'Tis a cruel, cruel world.

Well, I wouldn't expect any formal protest note from the ambassador of the great Republic of Somethinglikethatia anytime soon. :sourcil:

Btw: "Nein, You ruined it!"? Ach, zat ist overhead* not ze way how we germans englisch speak, ach! We are supposed to put a random "ach" or two in every sentence! (at least according to Agatha Christie :fleb: :niark: )

*"überhaupt" = at all

PBBoeye
General

Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:32 pm

Henry D. wrote:Btw: "Nein, You ruined it!"? Ach, zat ist overhead* not ze way how we germans englisch speak, ach! We are supposed to put a random "ach" or two in every sentence! (at least according to Agatha Christie :fleb: :niark: )

Oh, and don't forget adding a 'zie' at the end of the last word of every sentence, especially a sentence suggesting excitement.

GShock

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:01 am

Good poll but i don't get it...swedish norwegian and danish are grouped together? :bonk:

Return to “General discussions”