allan_boa
Colonel

Improving AGEOD gameplay with 3 simple steps

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi there,
I know AGEOD since the very beginning (ie Ph Thibaut's schism with paradox linked to EU1 bacj in the 90s) but I shamefully admit that I never liked/played ageod games (despite the fact that i kept buying them :-) )
However, I was terribly wrong and recently, after reading a review, I had a flash and suddenly understood the beauty of these games ! And I now love the engine !

It just took me about 10 years to understand the games and becoming addict ! :tournepas :tournepas

Anyway ... this is not the point of my message.

The point of this message is to propose a few very simple improvements that , IMO would greatly contribute to boost the gameplay:

1) full zoom-out map would display both units and strategic/objective cities
2) strategic map (F9?) would display also strategic/objective cities
3) map filters (supply, military ownership, etc) would also be displayed on the stragetic map (F9?)

A small step for the dude, a giant leap for the rest of us ! :-)

What do you guys think ?

Stratman
Captain

Re: Improving AGEOD gameplay with 3 simple steps

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:22 pm

allan_boa, my situation is so close to yours...

3-4 years ago I disappointed in PC games and stop play them at all.
It`s a pity I lost for about 10 years because I did't know about AGEod games.
But 1,5 year ago when I opened for myself ACW2 I became a real fan of AGEod series.

Since that I've bought and discovered all titles and DLC from BOA2 till WOS.
At the moment I am playing 5 Grand Campaigns for all sides and want to add the other games later step by step.
I love the engine and the mechanics. There is nothing close to AGEod in PC-Games World.

Anyway ... this is not the point of my message. :)

What about me - I am absolutely comfortable with the map interface. But your proposal I find not bad. Your idea is to keep "normal size" map functions in "full zoom-out" mode and in Strategy map.
Why not... but IMO would greatly contribute to boost the gameplay is the following:
1) more detailed mechanic for navy battles;
2) more detailed mechanic in tactical side. I mean the ability to control the course of the battle round by round.

allan_boa
Colonel

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:53 pm

OK, I will continue with my list of oddities that could be improved with a quick fix:

4) When trying to move a unit into an invalid place (what ever the reason: unit locked, deactivated, unreachable destination), I should hear a BEEP instead of the regular movement sound. This is totally basic but apparently not for ageod. Guys, fix this. It's an easy one, a quick-win !

----------
as a reminder, the three first steps were:
1) full zoom-out map would display both units and strategic/objective cities
2) strategic map (F9?) would display also strategic/objective cities
3) map filters (supply, military ownership, etc) would also be displayed on the stragetic map (F9?)

allan_boa
Colonel

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:06 am

I have to continue my list, hoping that one day a miracle will happen. And this could give ideas to the devs in terms of improving the UI...

5) why on earth when zoomed out (even slightly) in military mode (map mode 1) the cities names (and objective cities) are not anymore displayed ?! Is it to make the game harder to play ? Because yes, it does make the game very difficult to play (comment based on RUS) :tournepas

Ace

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:09 am

Forming and disolving a division is cumbersome.
Why can't we drag and drop brigade on division, or brigade out of division. Why cant we select a depleted regiment inside a division which automaticly selects its parent brigade. Why cant we we select a division and view a pop up window with its Order of battle in which we can see which brigades are inside a division, what regiments are inside a brigade, and what type of regiments(elements) are missing inisde a brigade to be at full strength.
The current disolve a divison and tooltip a brigade system is boring - it prevented me from reverting to CW2 and starting 1862-64 scenarios. The start of each scenario is tiresome and not fun at all. Forming proper divisions feels like work, not like fun.

allan_boa
Colonel

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:53 pm

I would just like to repeat that, in order to be perfectly honest and in case a visitor who doesn't know AGEOD games reads me, that the AGEOD games are absolutely brilliant ! I really love them. Just that sometimes some small things are a bit irritating ... but globally I love the games (I have RUS, AJE, CW2, PON and TYW) . I'm a newbie at AGEOD but it will be very hard to return to other games now :-)
Can't wait for the new engine (and hoping that the small shortcoming mentioned are fixed :hat:

Stratman
Captain

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Ace wrote:Forming and disolving a division is cumbersome.
Why can't we drag and drop brigade on division, or brigade out of division. Why cant we select a depleted regiment inside a division which automaticly selects its parent brigade. Why cant we we select a division and view a pop up window with its Order of battle in which we can see which brigades are inside a division, what regiments are inside a brigade, and what type of regiments(elements) are missing inisde a brigade to be at full strength.

I find this idea very cool! Agree. View of units inside a stack needs to be changed :papy:
All subjects of stack-division-elements- and even sub-elements should be easy to review and replace.
If it do not break a scenario / historical details.
Combination of force during regular turns is one of the important and fascinating things in AGEod games.

Return to “General discussions”