Slitherine Iain

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Just to be clear, Pocus is not alone. The team is the biggest its ever been with full time coders, artists, producer and access to sound effects & composers all to support Pocus in his design work.

allan_boa
Colonel

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Slitherine Iain wrote:Just to be clear, Pocus is not alone. The team is the biggest its ever been with full time coders, artists, producer and access to sound effects & composers all to support Pocus in his design work.

All this sounds great ! Hope there will be more information soon about the next game !

Stratman
Captain

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Slitherine Iain wrote:Just to be clear, Pocus is not alone. The team is the biggest its ever been with full time coders, artists, producer and access to sound effects & composers all to support Pocus in his design work.

It sounds hopefully for me: one of AGEod`s founder with the biggest budget, the biggest full-time team, with new engine and with "good old" lovely AGEod concept! :dada:

The only thing I'm sorry that I had not communicate with Mr Thibaut here on this Forum, because I am newbie.
I`d be proud to meet this Man. :hat:

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Wow so we will never see Pax romana 2 after all.

Nikel

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Good to know, but with so many people involved seems strange there was no room for PhlThib, well perhaps he was who left the building.

Anyway as I said, good luck to both of them.
Last edited by Nikel on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allan_boa
Colonel

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:02 pm

seems strange there was no room for PhlThib

My understanding is that Philippe Th. wasn't fired but decided to leave to move on to new projects. By his own decision ...
Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Nikel

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:04 pm

No idea, could be, or not.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:47 pm

I was more interested in history from PhilThib's game designs. It is sad he is not with us.

Ace

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:48 am

I wouldn't be surprised if he left because of New Design disagreements. I have no knowledge of this, just a huntch.
Pocus was the main code designer, but the historic accuracy was always PhilThib departement. It would be probably the best for Ageod to do a sequal with the new engine (ala ACW3), where they wouldn't need PhilThib input as much.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:30 am

An answer 10 years later as an Elite Designer of Heavyweight Wargames:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/3691 ... ent8152009

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Slitherine Iain wrote:Pocus is the heart and sole of the development team. There are other full-time devs working on the project but it is Pocus' vision that drives everything. Philippe Thibaut was very much on the management side and supporting other devs to make games in the old engine. He contributed considerably in shaping up Ageod’s current line-up, but the market doesn't really support this kind of approach anymore. We, therefore, had to make the decision of focusing on less but bigger games. Hence the huge investment in the current game Pocus is leading on. This will be the biggest budget game Ageod has ever created.

With the transition to less but bigger games and the management structure at Slitherine, Philippe found he didn't really have a significant role left to play and wanted to try something new and has left to pursue those interests.

We wish him luck with his future endeavors.

We hope to be able to tell you more about the upcoming game very soon!

Thanks for this message, It is useful communication that we would quite happily have enjoyed earlier without some of us having to discover by themselves that the company had evolved.

Now I can perfectly understand that the previous AGEOD type of games had reached the end of the line. We have all seen how PoN or WoN could be too frustrating and for AGEOD it was clearly either going to be doing smaller campaign based games using the old engine and its limitations or going for something a bit different. It makes sense, it really just is that your communication is very very convoluted at times and we are still what 18 months after the announcement of the game on the new engine still left with no clue as to what it might be and how it might work.

But may this game be a great game and I will buy it and you will make money, this is all we can hope for after all !

Tamas

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Well, perhaps we could have handled it better indeed. But all we can be accused of is trying to wait until we can fully reveal the new game and thus AGEOD's future. :)

Speaking of which, before that official announcement does happen, we would like to have some of the community members have a first look and help us test the new game. Check out this thread please for more:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=52804

richfed

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Very sorry to hear that PhilT is no longer a part of the Ageod team. It was he who got me hooked on Birth of America many years ago. Big loss.

allan_boa
Colonel

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 am

It's clear that Philippe Th. was THE guy bringing this unique historical feel of ageod games. In fact I even don't want to play other editors' games anymore (even Paradox's) thanks to this historical accuracy that I never found in any other game series (except of course Gary Grigsby's fantastic WITE). But thanks to ageod I'm now studying history, which is a topic that I even didn't consider when I was younger. I was ignorant. So just for this I'm grateful to ageod !
Hope that Slitherine/Matrix will allow a nice budget to get competent historian consultants to supervise historical accuracy of future games. Or maybe Pocus is that guy ? In any case I really hope that ageod games will remain THE reference/standard in the history games niche. You guys have a clear advantage over the competition so you definitely should try to stay ahead of the rest. The niche is yours, don't share it !

Templer
General

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:23 pm

And no time, no resources to maintenance already released games?

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:46 pm

allan_boa wrote:It's clear that Philippe Th. was THE guy bringing this unique historical feel of ageod games. In fact I even don't want to play other editors' games anymore (even Paradox's) thanks to this historical accuracy that I never found in any other game series (except of course Gary Grigsby's fantastic WITE). But thanks to ageod I'm now studying history, which is a topic that I even didn't consider when I was younger. I was ignorant. So just for this I'm grateful to ageod !
Hope that Slitherine/Matrix will allow a nice budget to get competent historian consultants to supervise historical accuracy of future games. Or maybe Pocus is that guy ? In any case I really hope that ageod games will remain THE reference/standard in the history games niche. You guys have a clear advantage over the competition so you definitely should try to stay ahead of the rest. The niche is yours, don't share it !

Didn't PhilT help start Ageod way back? Always bad to lose a core member. It's rare that a new team will ever reproduce the quality of the original article. It's like that with most things... music, film, etc. I guess we'll soon find out with Empires what the future holds.

Pocus

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:34 am

Hopefully I won't disappoint too much then! :)

Philippe Thibaut and I created AGEOD in 2004. With highs and lows ... We were bought back by Paradox in 2009 and in 2012 they made the decision to part away with several 'satellites studios', including French Ageod. Then we entered Slitherine in 2013 and I can't say it was a bad decision retrospectively!

Leibst

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:44 am

Here you can find, in French, an interview to Philippe regarding his new projects.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/140d_wQBx21VnV0rJQ2jHsGneW6bSVKpa/view?usp=sharing

That 'highs' were great Pocus!!

delcastel
Lieutenant

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:16 am

Je reste très attaché à AGEOD que je connais depuis le premier jeu , ces jeux remplissent les critères que je recherche , jeux historique stratégique au tour par tour et je n'ai jamais trouvé d'équivalant qui me plaise.

Je souhaite de longue années de création, et merci a Pocus . :fleurs:

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Yes I too like the games and the historical feel they give.

Even if I don't have the patience to play the longer scenarios I still look at the maps wistfully.

Good luck and thanks for the games.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:32 pm

Leibst wrote:an interview to Philippe regarding his new projects

Thanks for this Vae Victis paper!
https://wisdom-owl.com/en

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Thanks for everything Ageid and PhilThib and Pocus, too. Still a loyal customer and always will be!

Pocus

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:36 pm

More and more players are probably migrating over time to Slitherine forum and Steam, but the spirit is still there and AGEOD stays alive and kicking :)

About that, Empires is the latest but not the last of AGEOD games...

Tom
Private

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:05 pm

wosung wrote:Wow! Edit: What a pity!
Don't know if this is ... fake news?!
Pocus, if this post is somehow ...unwanted or inappropriate, sorry & please don't hesitate to delete it.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... 4/officers

AGEOD LTD

Company number 08310364
Nature of business (SIC)
46510 - Wholesale of computers, computer peripheral equipment and software

THIBAUT, Philippe

Correspondence address
34 Anyards Road, Cobham, United Kingdom, KT11 2LA

Role Resigned
Director

Date of birth
March 1962

Appointed on
28 November 2012

Resigned on
25 April 2018

Nationality
French

Country of residence
France

Occupation
Game Designer

Two more resignations May 7, 2020? :blink: Hopefully just organizational stuff.

821Bobo
Conscript

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:02 am

One of the reasons for minimal forum activity is due to the being not friendly to new users. Unless you have some 10 or so posts you can't send PM and every forum post needs to be approved. This is really repelling people.
I understand the policy is to prevent spam/fake accounts in spamming however with all the merged Slitherine/Matrix/Ageod accounts it is not so hard to verify legitimacy of one's account.

PS and yes I am writing this whine to get above the threshold

Durk

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:44 am

Plug away. Spam is a serious issue, unfortunately

andrzej
Major

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:33 am

Everything would be better if there were normal active moderators on this forum. On my Russian-language forum Ageod, I communicate with each user, help newbies, clean and combine similar topics, organize MP games. And here you can see no moderator work, unfortunately ...

Pocus

Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:56 pm

The forum has always been a target for spams, thus the hard rules on PM posting and post approval.

No particular meaning on the resignations you saw lately at Slitherine, this is the "come and go" of a company of 50 people or so, people want to try other jobs, move, etc. They were not affiliated with AGEOD in any case.

AGEOD is anyway a subsidiary of Slitherine since 2012 and I'm still coding in the spirit of the AGE game engine, even if I'm using another language now. Empires code, which is text based and can be read by anyone is very very close to the AGE game, except I learnt from experience and trimmed down a number of things ... which were replaced by other concepts as you know if you played Empires.

This forum is probably losing activity because it is now only roamed by people still playing the old AGE games. But that's fine I believe...

Philippe Thibaut has left Slitherine but it is not difficult to see he is very active with new projects of his own!

MarkShot

Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:26 pm

Ave!

I was playing some AJE a while back. I do think it is a great engine, and unlike Empires; AJE (I have all) is less Sandbox and more history. I hope to one day play through all the AJE scenarios.

I also have both ACW1 and ACW2 installed, but have never really played, but would like too. I have both, since player feelings seemed mixed as to each having its own special charm.

At the time AJE came out, it was just a game to me. But since than I have a few courses on Rome from the founding, through Republic, Empire, and finally Byzantium. Not only the history, but the technology of Roman engineering, concrete, arches, vaults, oculus.

I now see how Rome casts a very long shadow whether upon the languages we speak, the legal code, customs ... The "Rape of the Sabine Women" is supposed to be wear our custom of carrying brides across the threshold comes.

So, I appreciate these historical games. Yes, they are a bit fiction, but only partially.

And stir an interest how we got here and where we are going. A chance to relive turning point in history.

I think 2020, will be a pivotal year in history; not just for death and the pandemic, but I think it eventually be seen as the pivotal year.

中國回來了!

China has risen again, because for thousands China was the dominant world economy and technology; only rivaled in the West by Rome ... and to stumble for 300 years. But 2020 marks the end of those 300 years.

MarkShot

Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Speaking of Philippe Thibaut ...

I always look at PDS.

Just checked yesterday. Top 100 Steam games:

EU4
HOI4
CS

Never forget where the original EU1 came from or who was part of that development team. Life is not always fair. Greatness is not always rewarded.

But there are those who truly know when we have seen it; even if others reaped the rewards.

Return to “General discussions”