Would you still buy and play future games using the good old AGE engine?

Poll runs till Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:13 pm

No way, it is outdated, buggy and slow. Use only the new engine to create new games.
31%
8
Yes, but only if the game topic is small and can be handled properly by the engine, BOA style.
46%
12
Yes, even monster games! Jut love AGE engine, slow or not.
23%
6
 
Total votes: 26
User avatar
Nikel
Posts: 2321
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:38 pm

Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:13 pm

A new engine is used to create games by Ageod core team, PhilThib and Pocus. But is AGE engine still alive and kicking or dead for good? Will they release more games with it, or only a third party developer? We do not know.

wosung
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:58 pm

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Hard to tell, when there is not a single new engine based game to compare with. How much "better" will the new Archon engine work with Ageod games? By "better" I mean performance, adaptivness and accessibility. And I suspect, it will be. Otherwise they would not change the engine.

If the new engine rocks, I'd rather love to see more games using exclusively the Archon engine than a two engine situation. And I wouldn't want the Ageod core team to invest any more time on the old engine.

Maybe third party (a.k. none core) developers still want to use the old engine for a time. If they do so, we might get a few more AGE-adaptions of our favoured neglected wars. Which would be better than not getting any Ageod representations of our favoured neglected wars at all.

It's up to Slitherixeod if and when they let third party developers work with the new Ageod-Archon engine. Mind you - an engine which is still in development. But arguably, we all will be better off if sometime in the future our favoured neglected wars are reperesented exclusively by the new engine.

Finally from a players POV, moving to the new engine is a delicate maneuvre: Will there be noticable or even distinct changes in the new games for the player? Or will it feel just like the AGE-games, just ... faster? What if the marketing guys are hyping the next AGEOD game as ultra-brand new-engine based, and it plays just like the AGE-ones? How much of a change is wanted, will be accepted?

User avatar
jack54
Brigadier General
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:08 am
Location: East Tennessee USA

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:43 pm

I voted for 'a game the engine can handle' but don't really want it back to BOA style though. that lacked regional decisions. I really enjoy English Civil War , Thirty Years War by HQ and they play fine IMHO. RUS, CWII, AJE also seem ok to me when considering size and still having regional decisions.

I won't buy a Monster game (I didn't buy TEAW or WON) but a midsized game on a topic of interest... I'm in.

hint: Feudal Japan or China.

User avatar
Nikel
Posts: 2321
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:38 pm

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:03 pm

Related with this, Leibst (HQ), creator of España 1936, Thirty Years War and English Civil War using AGE engine is developing his own engine. For PC, or just boardgame?


http://headquarter.es/wp/?page_id=56

Quirk
Lieutenant
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:23 pm

As much fun as I had with the old engine, I think it is really outdated. I am a single player and Athena is just not up to that challenge. Not saying that I am brilliant strategist, but when you know how the engine works, it can hardly beat you without "cheating" (eg. penalties for the human player) and often makes distraous decisions. I really, really hope for a better AI coming with the new engine!

phoenix
Lieutenant
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:24 am

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am

I hope the new engine is all about better AI and not about stupid eye candy 3d stuff. The most recent games have beautiful maps and nothing much more is needed.

User avatar
Pocus
Posts: 24985
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:37 am
Location: Lyon (France)

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:13 am

The new engine is definitively faster. Sometime, and you know that if you have been in the IT, you can't patch or upgrade anymore an old software. This is what is happening to AGE. It has aged...

I have redone the AI for the new engine, taking aspirations from the old Athena AI and improving things as I learned from that. Currently I would say the new AI is at least 6x time, perhaps 10x faster than the previous.

And there will be multi-choices decisions in the first game :pouet:

wosung
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:58 pm

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Pocus wrote:I have redone the AI for the new engine, taking aspirations from the old Athena AI and improving things as I learned from that. Currently I would say the new AI is at least 6x time, perhaps 10x faster than the previous.

And there will be multi-choices decisions in the first game :pouet:


This is great news. That means turn processing will be faster. A big plus when eventually your new games grow in size. For me, PON, WON, TEAW really suffer from slow turn resolution.

And new game features will add to the non-counter-pushing aspects of your games.

Godspeed

User avatar
marek1978
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Pocus wrote:The new engine is definitively faster. Sometime, and you know that if you have been in the IT, you can't patch or upgrade anymore an old software. This is what is happening to AGE. It has aged...

I have redone the AI for the new engine, taking aspirations from the old Athena AI and improving things as I learned from that. Currently I would say the new AI is at least 6x time, perhaps 10x faster than the previous.

And there will be multi-choices decisions in the first game :pouet:



would you say that Archeon AI is going to perform better then Athena?

User avatar
Pocus
Posts: 24985
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:37 am
Location: Lyon (France)

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm

The AI is different and done in a way which is more logical or understandable to me. I have great hope to improve it further than what could have been donne with Athena. We must find a nickname!

User avatar
marek1978
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Pocus wrote:The AI is different and done in a way which is more logical or understandable to me. I have great hope to improve it further than what could have been donne with Athena. We must find a nickname!


if you want to stick to A name it Attila

Unpredictible genius....

User avatar
ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:25 am
Location: France

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Pocus wrote:The AI is different
Athena. We must find a nickname!

Éris/Discordia :) , or Ényo
Finding a 'positive' greek goddess of war as Athena is not easy.

User avatar
loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:15 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 pm

wosung wrote:Hard to tell, when there is not a single new engine based game to compare with.

...


AFAIK this is not quite true. The Archon game engine was (I think - may well be wrong) originally developed from the Battle Academy games and is used in Pike and Shot and Field of Glory2.

Now clearly those are all tactical/battle games with very different game design goals but it may give you some idea how it might work.

For what its worth, both Pike and Shot and Field of Glory 2 are great fun to play and the AI is fast - even if you choose a large battlefield.

User avatar
Random
AGEod Veteran
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:11 pm

Was hugely disappointed in Pike and Shot Campaigns although I really wanted to like it. So, have avoided Fields of Glory II since my understanding is that they use the same engine.

While no doubt that the AGE II engine is past its prime I would immediately buy any future DLC for AJE or TYW/ECW, particularly the former but this appears to be a pipe dream. Do not own WON and found TEAW an unplayable, tedious, non-historic mess and a perfect example of a game engine that cannot represent the subject effectively. That said, for large theatres/small armies or asymmetrical situations the AGE II engine is difficult to beat at the strategic level.

-C

wosung
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:58 pm

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:45 am

loki100 wrote:
wosung wrote:Hard to tell, when there is not a single new engine based game to compare with.

...


AFAIK this is not quite true. The Archon game engine was (I think - may well be wrong) originally developed from the Battle Academy games and is used in Pike and Shot and Field of Glory2.

Now clearly those are all tactical/battle games with very different game design goals but it may give you some idea how it might work.

For what its worth, both Pike and Shot and Field of Glory 2 are great fun to play and the AI is fast - even if you choose a large battlefield.


Well, engines are ... full of possibilities. I don't think we can easily draw conclusions from old games made with old engines.

This is what PipfromSlitherine wrote at the Matrix Forum about Steel Tigers, one of the new Gary Grigsby projects: "It is not the BA game engine, but a customised flavour of the much more advanced Archon engine. "
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.as ... age=2&key=

I think "customised flavour" are the key words here. It should be the same with the new Ageod game engine. So, 1. the new Ageod game probably will be much more Ageod than Field of Glory. Because Ageod is about area based simultanious turn based grand operational and strategic games not about tabletop games. Plus, 2. Customizing might be one of the reasons it takes so long to publish the next original Ageod game. Pocus is customizing Ageod flavour.

evanofsaxony
Conscript
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:44 am

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:13 am

Random wrote:Was hugely disappointed in Pike and Shot Campaigns although I really wanted to like it. So, have avoided Fields of Glory II since my understanding is that they use the same engine.

While no doubt that the AGE II engine is past its prime I would immediately buy any future DLC for AJE or TYW/ECW, particularly the former but this appears to be a pipe dream. Do not own WON and found TEAW an unplayable, tedious, non-historic mess and a perfect example of a game engine that cannot represent the subject effectively. That said, for large theatres/small armies or asymmetrical situations the AGE II engine is difficult to beat at the strategic level.

-C


Why were you disappointed? I enjoy it quite a bit. Just curious.

User avatar
Random
AGEod Veteran
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Poll. Future of the AGE engine.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:12 am

Why were you disappointed? I enjoy it quite a bit. Just curious.


This is really off topic and has nothing to do with the thread subject or the AGE engine but here goes.

No night, no weather, no sense of time, no leaders, leadership or reasonable command and control, smoke is cosmetic only, game sounds are lame as well as actually pretty awful and units move across the terrain rather like they were tanks. I find the game play boring and for the most part the battles are just tiresome and devoid of any excitement or replay value. That's for starters...

If you like it then enjoy it and have fun.

All that said, I purchased it with eyes open as there is a lot of info on the title out there so am not going to go off on some rant and would not think of demanding a refund or anything so draconian or unreasonable.

-C

Return to “General discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests