The map of the new engine game should use hexes or regions, like Ageod's games right now.

Poll ended at Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:35 pm

Real wargames use hexes, of course.
13%
Regions (areas), do not change that!
65%
Depending on the topic and scale of the game
22%
Other, wait, is there really any other way?
No votes

Total votes: 23
Nikel

Poll. To be or not to be hexed.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:35 pm

That is the question :D

Comment something besides selecting an option.
Last edited by Nikel on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wosung

Re: Poll. To be or not to be hexed.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Didn't vote b/c it really depends on scale and era:

All Ageod games I played (sans the Spanish Civil War and WOS) work just fine with areas. Besides To End all Wars.

IMO WW1 (and WW2) with frontlines and huge troop numbers would be better represented by hexes. I find TEAW visually rather confusing.

But frankly I don't think WW1 or WW2 rank very high on Ageod's agenda. So arguably we won't see hexes in Ageod games for a long time. And Pocus mentioned somewhere that the new Archeon engine game will be Wego TB with regions.

Nikel

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Added a 4th option.

IIRC, it was said that current engine could use hexes, however no game was released using them.
Last edited by Nikel on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jack54
Brigadier General

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:05 pm

I'm hoping they stay with regions; I like the way the current Ageod system does Grand Strategy. If I could only have 1 game system Ageod would be my choice. So I hope they stay true to it.

Although 'I voted for regions' there's nothing really wrong if they go to hexes as it does, imho, work better for some eras and map scales; Hexes might also bring in some more traditional war-gamers that stay away from Area/ Region based game. I tried to get a friend of mine to play AACW; He tried the Tutorial and hated it... needed hexes. Had he given it more time he might have enjoyed it.

My vote remains 'regions' but I'd still buy it if they changed to hexes.

Pocus

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:28 pm

The new engine uses regions!

As for WW2, it is not entirely ruled out, but the AGE engine would not have coped with that (see the slowdowns with PON and magnify them tenfold at least). Perhaps the new engine can deal with WW2 one day though. But not this year...

marek1978
Colonel

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

will it use some of the current maps?

can you please, give us some hint about when will we be informed abut new engine game?

Nikel

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Pocus wrote:The new engine uses regions!

As for WW2, it is not entirely ruled out, but the AGE engine would not have coped with that (see the slowdowns with PON and magnify them tenfold at least). Perhaps the new engine can deal with WW2 one day though. But not this year...

Interesting, so the new engine, supposedly faster, still is not able to support a WW2 game?

We are talking about an European and North Africa game, not world wide, I suppose.

Anyway I would prefer two different games, Europe and Pacific.

AGE engine supports hexes, even though no hexed game was released, is this true?

But the new engine not?

wosung

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Some (older) infos about Slitherixeod's new Archon engine:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.as ... n&#4238745

Apparently it can be used for both, area and hex based games. So, it's up to the game developers to choose.

Pocus

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 pm

You probably read to much between the lines Nikel. We never at Ageod did a WW2 game and given how we would like to do one, a thorough analysis of contents and needs will be necessary, that's all. For now we prefer to build one brick after another to have things right.

Nikel

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:49 pm

OK :hat:

marek1978
Colonel

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Pocus wrote:You probably read to much between the lines Nikel. We never at Ageod did a WW2 game and given how we would like to do one, a thorough analysis of contents and needs will be necessary, that's all. For now we prefer to build one brick after another to have things right.

and you provide information drop by drop... :)
a very very small drops....

Taillebois
General of the Army

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:29 pm

I thought the regions were mostly hexes but with wiggly lines.

I think Ageod should produce a wargame construction kit covering lots of eras and with a random scenario generator.

The lack of player made scenarios always limits the games in my mind because not everyone wants to play massive campaigns. BOA and WIA at least had quite a lot of scenarios.

Pocus

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:48 pm

I must only provide drops that won't incur me the wrath of marketing ;)

So I can speak of the engine capabilities, but I can't tell you the subject! The new engine can handle hex if you shape each regions as hex, as in the old AGE game. This is doable, but an engine designed to use hex from the start, and only hex can make more assumption and shortcuts on that and so can display much bigger hex based maps.

Kitano1314
Private

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:31 pm

what if we had regions with hexes in them

Pocus

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 am

and each such hex would be a battlefield of 60x60 hexes!

phoenix
Captain

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:08 pm

I loathe hexes and would stop playing if these games ended up with a hexy, unnatural map. Unless you could switch them off, of course - but even then it would still be awful if terrain features followed the (invisible) hex lines making the map look all jagged and contrived. JTS games are like that and I hate the look of them.

marek1978
Colonel

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Pocus wrote:and each such hex would be a battlefield of 60x60 hexes!

it would make sense only if in each of those battlefiled hexes one coul play Real Time First Person Shooter game

Captain_Orso

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:15 am

Hexes allow for ranged combat--firing over a distance of more than one hex, within the constraints of the range of a weapon.

Regions allow for a better representation of geographies. They can be modeled on how quickly a unit could move into or through a region, thus representing how greatly a geographical area could influence within a the time frame of a turn. So, poor terrain might have smaller regions than clear terrain, and good roads could stretch regions along them representing the ease of movement along the length of roads to exert force over a greater distance.

Basically regions ought to be tuned to represent the geography a force could influence within a turn, when the player has not opportunity to react to enemy movement, including the ability to exert force within a larger geographic area versus enemy forces entering from different directions.

jack54
Brigadier General

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 pm

I think it is important that regions or hex sides are considered. Some games only use the hex or region terrain. Other games consider the hex/region side you are crossing; mountains could be the dominate land feature coming into a hex from the west which would cost more movement points or take longer than moving from the east that's clear valley or river. Just MHO :) I'd imagine it's quite a bit more programming.

Captain_Orso

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:25 am

The current game engine takes crossing rivers--also minor rivers--into account, and Pocus stated once that the same function could be used to consider crossing a pass from one valley into the next. Beyond that, a pass-region could also be defined between two valleys. Optimally, a pass-region would have limited stacking, the same as cities.

No game I know of considers the region a stack is in when calculating movement, which would be logical, only the target region.

Return to “General discussions”