Mat
Private

Posture question to attack an other region when ennemy is already in the start region

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:53 pm

Bonjour,

Mon point est le suivant :

J'ai deux corps d'armée présent dans une région A, dans laquelle est aussi présent un corps d'armée ennemi. Je suis en posture défensive.

Je veux attaquer la région B pour couper l'ennemi de ses réserves et de sa retraite. Je réorganise mes deux corps en 1 seul et je détache une Division (sans lien avec l'Armée) pour attaquer la région B.

Le corps d'Armée reste en posture défensive :siffle: , la Division passe en posture assault pour attaquer et capturer la région B :dada: .

Question : comment être sûr que la Division n'attaquera pas le corps d'Armée ennemi ? :tournepas

in English :

I have two army corps in region A, there is also a ennemy corps in it. I want to attack the region B to cut the supply road of the ennemy.

I split my forces and send a Division (with no link with the army) to assault the region B.

How can I be sure that the Division will attack the region B an d not the ennemy in the region A ?????

sorry for my english :8o:

Durk

Re: Posture question to attack an other region when ennemy is already in the start region

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:31 am

This is a tough one, but what I do is drop the corps I want to attack the unit in the next region on the force you want to attack. Make sure you are in Blue attack posture and Orange defense posture.
Dropping will create the attack. Being in blue stance will let you get out of the region, usually.

Mat
Private

Re: Posture question to attack an other region when ennemy is already in the start region

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks for your answer, but i want my Division to take the city of region B in the same turn so if I let it in blue attack posture my troops will not conquiert the city ...

If I give my Division an attack posture (orange) and a Raid mode, and order them to attack the B region, will they attack first the ennemy in its starting region (A) or will they escape the fight and concentrate their attack on region B ?

Captain_Orso

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:25 pm

There are several things you have to consider in this case.

If you are playing CW2 or a newer game, the auto-OP rule has to be considered. I'm assuming that this is the case.

The auto-OP rule states, that if your stack finds itself in a region --whether it starts there, or it is move into it-- where you have <5% MC, if that stack is currently in DP it will automatically change to OP and you side will immediately have its MC changed to 5% MC.

This will cause your stack(s) to attack any enemy in the region.

I'm assuming you already have >= 5% MC.

The next thing you have to consider is that enemy in the region exert a ZOC over stacks attempting to exit the region. You didn't think you get to walk away from an enemy stack just like that did you?

Simply stated, if you select the stack you wish to move 'past' the enemy stack in region A, and region B is overlaid in red, the enemy's ZOC in region A is preventing you from entering region B with said stack.

ZOC blocking is different for each stack. A small stack with just cavalry (great evasion values) will evade an enemy in the same region to be able to enter the next enemy region. A fat corps with slow lumbering supply-trains will not be able to evade the enemy to enter another enemy held region.

The formula for calculating this is: if (enemy patrol value/friendly evasion value) > (your military control + (2 * friendly evasion value)) the enemy blocks the move in question. This is very vague, but it gives you an idea. Evasion value, is the lowest evasion value of any friendly unit in your stack. So like 1 for a supply train.

You cannot affect 'enemy patrol value'. You can however influence your moving stack's 'evasion value', by putting only elements with a high evasion value, like cavalry in the stack.

You can also increase your 'military control' by fighting the enemy in region A, but you want to insure your other stack gets away. So you need a maneuver stack, with high evasion value, and a battle stack, with high offensive power.

Your battle stack needs at least 1.5x offensive power to the defenders defensive power, to saturate the defender, which means your maneuver stack in DP, will not be called on to help fight. the enemy. Set the battle stack to OP for it to attack the enemy, which will likely gain you some --probable a lot-- of MC, making it very likely that your maneuver stack can exit region A and enter region B where I assume you have 0 MC.

But you want to attack the garrison inside the city in the next region this turn, which means your maneuver stack MUST be in AP (Assault Posture). But being in AP is the same as OP when in the field, which means there is a 50% chance your maneuver stack might be chosen to to attack the defending stack in region A. If your battle stack attacks, since its attack will saturate the defender, the battle stack will not call on any assistance in fighting, and the maneuver stack will be excluded, and get to move out of region A and into region B, where it will assault the garrison in region B.

So, it is not very likely that you could attack the garrison in region B this turn, but you could well get there this turn, to be able to attack in the next turn. I think that might be the best you can do.

I'm not sure what will happen if your maneuver stack fights and your side wins. If you win the battle convincingly enough your maneuver stack might just continue moving and attack in Region B, but I wouldn't bet my live on it.

Captain_Orso

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:49 am

In all my enthusiasm to explain the technical side if this maneuver, I forgot the most important part :tournepas

Tactically it's a very bad idea to bypass an enemy and leave him on your line of communication. It's begging for disaster and against military doctrine. If the enemy reinforces region A and counter attacks, your maneuver stack will be cut off with no path of egress. In other words, no where to go if you have to retreat.

Mat
Private

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks a lot Captain for your answer and your time.

I made it but my troops couldn't take the city in region B and burn the depot so I had to retreat in an other region in next turn to evade a dangerous destroying battle.

It's a dangerous move but it can put ennemy in big difficulties if it s work

Return to “General discussions”